Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Lavar column -- this guy gets it :).

Art

I agree we should put in Lavar. These coaches have no idea how to win in the NFL. It isn't like the head coach is in the HOF or won 3 superbowls. While we are at it, we should get Coles back because during the off season all i heard was Coles was better than Moss. And put Ramsey back in. Patrick is obviously better than Mark. Lavar was the face of the skins for the past 5 years or so (of course, the skins have been a complete embarrassment for the last 5 years or so). Its not like Gibbs has done anything for this franchise or city. He is just some old guy who was a good NASCAR owner.

I agree with this statement but that doesn't mean he is without blame. He needs to do exactly what Joe Gibbs is doing now and refuse to talk about it. If the media hears "No comment" enough they will move on to something else. Much like the TO situation as long as someone is willing to fan the flames they will continue to talk about it.

I agree that that LaVar should say "No Comment" but I think all the talking he did was on the John Thompson show last week. I know that LaVar has been a regular on that show for years now. I don't know if he came on today or not because I missed the show.

The producers or whatever they are on Sportstalk 980, took parts of that conversation/interview out of context and tried to paint LaVar in a bad light. However, I heard the entire interview and LaVar was not disrespectful nor was he whining about his situation. He basically stated that "it is, what it is" and he was just going to deal with it. In addition, he was answering questions that were being asked by Coach Thompson, Doc Walker and Smokin' Al. The bandwagon fans and sportstalk radio hosts are just flaky and out of touch with reality. The bandwagon fans want to take the side of the organization and the coaches, but let's not fool ourselves into believing that it is all about LaVar being the problem because he can't read schemes and won't do what the coaches ask him to do on the field.

LaVar might not be what the coaches or the fans expect him to be and yes, I know he was out of place on some of the plays in the past. However, he has always been a standup guy in this organization and for this team, but of course that doesn't count for much in this cut-throat world of Corporate America. LaVar made his fatal Redskins career mistake by taking the owner to litigation. LaVar knows why he's not playing and the coaches know why he is not playing and it sure as heck is not because he can't understand the so-called complicated schemes. The schemes that couldn't stop Tatum Bell or Priest Holmes. If they are so top notched and complicated, they should be holding teams down to 3 pts per game.

Just deactivate him and send him on his way to another team that will work with him and his so-called undisciplined ways.

watching the passrush this past game, I'd like to see him worked into either the line rotation on passing downs or as a blitzing linebacker. the pressure from the front 4 isn't as consistent as it needs to be, and if he could only force the opposing offense into a double-team, that would help out the rest of the line. i just can't imagine it'd be that bad an experiment... it certainly can't be much worse than the current pass rush

as far as his liability in coverage, i'd just have to go with the staff's assessment of his willingness to play within the system.

Guest strongkaracter

I'm still scratching my head and asking myself "How in the world is Ade Jimoh still on the team(much less put in the game) and Lavar still on the sideline!?!?

Is that the work of a genius??? :doh:

Uggh...Good article. The one thing I don't like about the article is that Arthur relates Arrington as being the reason the team was 5-11. Our offense has really stunk the past few years.

Well, I reckon the coaches know best because they have proven me wrong with my criticism of Mark Brunell over Ramsey this year. :-)

Uggh...Good article. The one thing I don't like about the article is that Arthur relates Arrington as being the reason the team was 5-11. Our offense has really stunk the past few years.

Well, I reckon the coaches know best because they have proven me wrong with my criticism of Mark Brunell over Ramsey this year. :-)

I don't think I meant it to say Arrington was the reason we were 5-11 though a teammate says he cost the team three games that year. I more meant this as a statement that the Redskins were a team known to be undisciplined, unprofessional and happy after losing. Lavar was the face of the Redskins, though not the only guy who might have any of those traits.

This team has a deadly seriousness about it. During pre-game warmups there were 30 Redskins out there with about two Chiefs players. This is prior to organized exercise and drills and plays.

As for Lavar, I will say it appears to me from a comfortable distance that he's very down on this. He was not talking to any media trying to talk to him and he seemed to eyeball me and avoid me after the game as he gave a fan his gloves.

He was very quiet and very reserved. He is an emotional player in general and if it can be said he wears his emotions on his sleeve, his sleeve has depression written on it.

Guest strongkaracter

He was very quiet and very reserved. He is an emotional player in general and if it can be said he wears his emotions on his sleeve, his sleeve has depression written on it.

It's a sad thing to see a player of his caliber depressed because he can't do the very thing he loves. That should count for something.

The only area where I will question the coaching staff right now is this: I don't think the apparent policy of not speaking publicly about player moves is working. You leave the fans in the dark, carefully making only positive comments about a player, and then all of a sudden people realize what you've been saying in public doesn't match up with what you actually intend to do with that player. Happened with Ramsey, happening now with Arrington. "Oh yeah, he's great. Oh yeah, we want him to be a big contributor." Then all of a sudden, he's on the bench. Even if there may be positive intentions behind it, it clearly doesn't work in this era of "new media". Maybe somebody should try to get that point through to the staff. They've done a lot of good things to create a state-of-the-art media operation, but the info coming from the coaches right now is not very "adept" or "savvy" at all.

Yeah, it doesn't work for us, as fans, because we wanna know what the F is going on but that's how good teams work. Good teams keep their laundry in house. You're not going to hear any of NE's coaches or players explain anything to the media. The media and fans want to know what's up but the coaches don't owe us squat in this respect and I think the successful teams are very careful, and always have been, to keep personal stuff in house.

Yeah, it doesn't work for us, as fans, because we wanna know what the F is going on but that's how good teams work. Good teams keep their laundry in house. You're not going to hear any of NE's coaches or players explain anything to the media. The media and fans want to know what's up but the coaches don't owe us squat in this respect and I think the successful teams are very careful, and always have been, to keep personal stuff in house.

This business of banning people because they want to talk about LAVAR is just plain stupid...not to mention bush league. THIS IS A REDSKINS BOARD....and the number one topic right now pertaining to the Redskins is Lavar. But you don't want anybody to talk about it? Its just plain silly, not to mention that it appears Joe Gibbs is running the board. He doens want to talk about it so YOU don't want anybody to talk about it. Just a bit too obvious whats going on here.

This business of banning people because they want to talk about LAVAR is just plain stupid...not to mention bush league. THIS IS A REDSKINS BOARD....and the number one topic right now pertaining to the Redskins is Lavar. But you don't want anybody to talk about it? Its just plain silly, not to mention that it appears Joe Gibbs is running the board. He doens want to talk about it so YOU don't want anybody to talk about it. Just a bit too obvious whats going on here.

Predictor.

Asking that people constrain themselves, somewhat, by putting their thoughts in existing Lavar threads that will continue to come up daily due to news on the situation is not necessarily asking that no one talk about it. It's an effort to keep the odd, random, "I want Lavar to play" or "I want Lavar on the bench" thread from continuing to exist removing all other conversation.

We'd simply like to allow a range of conversation and one faction in particular has decided that they need to have every word on the topic created in a thread of its own for some reason. I think you'll discover we're perfectly happy with allowing any conversation you'd like on the topic. We're just not going to keep letting everyone open new threads to say the same thing over and over.

That is just silly.

Asking that people constrain themselves, somewhat, by putting their thoughts in existing Lavar threads that will continue to come up daily due to news on the situation is not necessarily asking that no one talk about it. It's an effort to keep the odd, random, "I want Lavar to play" or "I want Lavar on the bench" thread from continuing to exist removing all other conversation.

We'd simply like to allow a range of conversation and one faction in particular has decided that they need to have every word on the topic created in a thread of its own for some reason. I think you'll discover we're perfectly happy with allowing any conversation you'd like on the topic. We're just not going to keep letting everyone open new threads to say the same thing over and over.

That is just silly.

I'm new here and have had no diffiuclty finding topics where I could air my .02 on this. Frankly, I'm really not sure what all concern is about anyway. The D played great last year, has played pretty good this year, and I'm 100% convinced the G.Williams and his staff know more about coaching then anybody on this board :) If they say he's not ready, I trust them.

I don't think I meant it to say Arrington was the reason we were 5-11 though a teammate says he cost the team three games that year. I more meant this as a statement that the Redskins were a team known to be undisciplined, unprofessional and happy after losing. Lavar was the face of the Redskins, though not the only guy who might have any of those traits.

This team has a deadly seriousness about it. During pre-game warmups there were 30 Redskins out there with about two Chiefs players. This is prior to organized exercise and drills and plays.

As for Lavar, I will say it appears to me from a comfortable distance that he's very down on this. He was not talking to any media trying to talk to him and he seemed to eyeball me and avoid me after the game as he gave a fan his gloves.

Now the word from experts that. It's personal not package personel. What do you say about that? Even B. Mitch who you used as a reference believes it's personal now.

Now the word from experts that. It's personal not package personel. What do you say about that? Even B. Mitch who you used as a reference believes it's personal now.

I think there's no question that there is a personal element to this that has evolved. It's the "Lavar, SHUT THE HELL UP," component that we could see building with his weekly radio spots. In that sense it has a personal element to it that wasn't there initially I believe.

All I want to know is why are they saying we need to stop the BIG plays and get more turn overs but the have one of the BEST linebackers in the NFL on the bench? That is one thing I just dont understand. Get Lavar in the game it's the best chance to stop the big plays and to get turn overs that I can see. well if anyone does not agree with me please I would love to hear your idea on how to stop the big plays and force more turn overs. My e-mail is r_skinsfan_56@yahoo.com

I think there's no question that there is a personal element to this that has evolved. It's the "Lavar, SHUT THE HELL UP," component that we could see building with his weekly radio spots. In that sense it has a personal element to it that wasn't there initially I believe.

I don't think that's the reason at all. If you are listening to the experts now it's not the LaVar radio shows. It could be a part of it, but it's something much deeper. Everybody and their momma knows the Staff is lying. Even you know now. And if it's because of the "Radio shows" don't you think that would be low for Joe, GW and staff, to sacrifice a better Team w/LA just to set a example. That would be classless. I hope Joe wouldn't do that. Plus B. Mitch said players know when an organization wants someone out. It just sounds real fishy. I know you're apart of the population that doesn't believe the coaching staff doesn't lie, but it doesn't sound good. If hall of fame coaches are confused about this situation then something is going on.

All I want to know is why are they saying we need to stop the BIG plays and get more turn overs but the have one of the BEST linebackers in the NFL on the bench? That is one thing I just dont understand. Get Lavar in the game it's the best chance to stop the big plays and to get turn overs that I can see. well if anyone does not agree with me please I would love to hear your idea on how to stop the big plays and force more turn overs. My e-mail is r_skinsfan_56@yahoo.com

Couldnt be said better, Now even other quarterbacks and tightends are glad they have no worries playing this defense.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8974105

I don't think that's the reason at all. If you are listening to the experts now it's not the LaVar radio shows. It could be a part of it, but it's something much deeper. Everybody and their momma knows the Staff is lying. Even you know now. And if it's because of the "Radio shows" don't you think that would be low for Joe, GW and staff, to sacrifice a better Team w/LA just to set a example. That would be classless. I hope Joe wouldn't do that. Plus B. Mitch said players know when an organization wants someone out. It just sounds real fishy. I know you're apart of the population that doesn't believe the coaching staff doesn't lie, but it doesn't sound good. If hall of fame coaches are confused about this situation then something is going on.

Ahh, a flat-earther.

No, the staff isn't lying, other than by refusing to reveal the specifics of what they deem wrong with Lavar. There are no "experts" on this situation other than the coaching staff and to some extent the players on that defense, like the one who said Lavar needs to play but he needs to play when he can be trusted not to give up the major negative play too, and he was quoted as a supporter of having Lavar on the field some.

I don't dispute the organization may no longer want Lavar around, but, again, it stems from Lavar, not much more than that. I still am hopeful something helps turn the situation around. But, I know the staff is telling the truth about why he's not playing and I suspect Lavar has added an element of the personal by betraying the staff which is protecting him by NOT going into detail as to why he's not playing with the public while he complains about the situation he is fully aware of.

I think that hurt him a lot by suggesting he didn't know a situation he knew all about.

And, remember, only Lavar has been openly proven to have lied about situations in the past -- remember the injury situation.

do you want the Skins of yesterday or today? that is the real issue we are faced at this time

But Spurrier also was hurt by an inability to enforce discipline, especially after defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis left to become the Cincinnati Bengals' head coach.

The Redskins set a franchise record for penalties this season, and players described a lax atmosphere in which tardiness was tolerated, cell phones rang during meetings, and on-field errors weren't corrected at practice.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/6965620

The Redskins are a mess, and will need considerable redirection. The demands will not be light for the new coach, but anyone who suggests age might be an issue hasn't been paying attention. Look around. The way to go is retro. Don't trust anyone under 60.

Steve Spurrier was dashing and bold ... and lost by scores like 27-0 to the Cowboys. His discipline melted, as players tuned out meetings to answer their cell phones. His team lacked purpose. His inability to fashion NFL-caliber pass protection placed his quarterbacks on the endangered species list, next to the sea otter.

Gibbs will have none of the above. And the impetuous suit who owns the Redskins will not have a man he can push around. Gibbs can always tell Dan Snyder to take this job and shove it. You can do that when you're in the Hall of Fame.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2004-01-07-lopresti_x.htm

Lavar Arrington speaks out

LaVar Arrington criticized the Washington Redskins for failing to support him during his recent knee injury, an injury that forced him to have another surgery last week.

"It's like nothing in terms of the support from them, it's like nothing," Arrington told reporters at Redskins Park on Monday. "It's like, just let me disappear and die."

Arrington, walking on crutches, revealed that he had a second surgery last Wednesday on the same knee that forced him to miss 11 games last season. He said he will be in no rush to come back.

"I'm taking as much time as I need, and if that means they're upset and want to get rid of me, then so be it," Arrington said.

money

Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington won't be getting the $6.5 million he claims was removed from the final draft of his contract.

Instead, Arrington settled his long-standing dispute with the team by agreeing to a deal that could make him a free agent or net him a $3.25 million bonus if he makes two Pro Bowls in the next four years.

Arrington, his lawyer and team officials completed the agreement late Thursday, ending a spat that had strained Arrington's relations with the team for about 18 months.

The disagreement stemmed from an eight-year, $68 million contract Arrington signed near the end of the 2003 season. The deal was rushed to completion because the Redskins were trying to beat a deadline for salary cap purposes.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05239/561194.stm

do you want the Skins of yesterday or today? that is the real issue we are faced at this time---

I want both....56 and the "new" D can co-exist...look at the turnover ration this year? I wonder why we arent creating out there? Probably b/c there is no defensive rusher to account for.

I want both....56 and the "new" D can co-exist...look at the turnover ration this year? I wonder why we arent creating out there? Probably b/c there is no defensive rusher to account for.

Lavar milked his comback.....Lavar added nothing during pre season other than his complaining about the way managment has treated him......by rewarding Lavar a starting position is the same as saying "we need you and your bad attitude more than we need positive change!!!!"

It will only work if Lavar wants it to work....eg....great team attitude....Unfortuantely, Lavar's pride will be the determining factor if he gets his starting job back or if he remains as a skin

do you want the Skins of yesterday or today? that is the real issue we are faced at this time

But Spurrier also was hurt by an inability to enforce discipline, especially after defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis left to become the Cincinnati Bengals' head coach.

The Redskins set a franchise record for penalties this season, and players described a lax atmosphere in which tardiness was tolerated, cell phones rang during meetings, and on-field errors weren't corrected at practice.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/6965620

The Redskins are a mess, and will need considerable redirection. The demands will not be light for the new coach, but anyone who suggests age might be an issue hasn't been paying attention. Look around. The way to go is retro. Don't trust anyone under 60.

Steve Spurrier was dashing and bold ... and lost by scores like 27-0 to the Cowboys. His discipline melted, as players tuned out meetings to answer their cell phones. His team lacked purpose. His inability to fashion NFL-caliber pass protection placed his quarterbacks on the endangered species list, next to the sea otter.

Gibbs will have none of the above. And the impetuous suit who owns the Redskins will not have a man he can push around. Gibbs can always tell Dan Snyder to take this job and shove it. You can do that when you're in the Hall of Fame.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2004-01-07-lopresti_x.htm

Lavar Arrington speaks out

LaVar Arrington criticized the Washington Redskins for failing to support him during his recent knee injury, an injury that forced him to have another surgery last week.

"It's like nothing in terms of the support from them, it's like nothing," Arrington told reporters at Redskins Park on Monday. "It's like, just let me disappear and die."

Arrington, walking on crutches, revealed that he had a second surgery last Wednesday on the same knee that forced him to miss 11 games last season. He said he will be in no rush to come back.

"I'm taking as much time as I need, and if that means they're upset and want to get rid of me, then so be it," Arrington said.

money

Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington won't be getting the $6.5 million he claims was removed from the final draft of his contract.

Instead, Arrington settled his long-standing dispute with the team by agreeing to a deal that could make him a free agent or net him a $3.25 million bonus if he makes two Pro Bowls in the next four years.

Arrington, his lawyer and team officials completed the agreement late Thursday, ending a spat that had strained Arrington's relations with the team for about 18 months.

The disagreement stemmed from an eight-year, $68 million contract Arrington signed near the end of the 2003 season. The deal was rushed to completion because the Redskins were trying to beat a deadline for salary cap purposes.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05239/561194.stm

Explain ST then. He's disrespected the Head Coach. How can you explain that? That's the real question. :rolleyes:

Actaully the best LB we have is on the field...he wears #53 with "Washington" on the back of his jersey!

Archived