Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Lavar column -- this guy gets it :).

Art

Actaully the best LB we have is on the field...he wears #53 with "Washington" on the back of his jersey!

Actually he's the best LB that gets to play. When LA's on the field everyone knows who's better. Don't forget Pre- GW, in terms of individual play. There were only 1 or 2 LB's better than LA. That's it. Marcus Washinton is sweet, but it just seems that some of you forgot. Damn I wonder if this situation happen to Darrell Green would you all act the same way or not. You all are scaring me.

Explain ST then. He's disrespected the Head Coach. How can you explain that? That's the real question. :rolleyes:

I never read anything on ST saying "I'm taking as much time as I need, and if that means they're upset and want to get rid of me, then so be it, Arrington said."

heres an old article on ST.....too bad we didn't see a similar article on LA.....otherwise we wouldnt be having this discusion!!!!!

Sean Taylor disappointed many on the Redskins when he did not participate in off-season workouts this year. Since he rejoined the team in late July, Taylor appears to be working hard to make up for time lost.

Assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams called Taylor an "old-school player" in that the second-year safety plays full-go all the time, be it in practice, a meaningless preseason game or a regular season game.

"It doesn't make a difference if you're playing in the parking lot or in a tunnel, when it's time to light it up, he plays all the way," Williams said. "He doesn't slow down and he doesn't know any other way. That's why it's so fun to coach him.

"He has been tremendous in meetings. He is in very good condition. And he has caught up on some of the new things we have been working on. He is having a very good camp."

Taylor is listed as the starting free safety on the team's depth chart. During the Aug. 6 scrimmage at Baltimore, Taylor played with the second-team defense--but that means little because Williams likes to tinker with different schemes during the preseason.

Taylor made his presence known with several hard hits against the Ravens. He broke up a touchdown pass in the end zone with a hit on a wide receiver, then knocked the ball away.

Last Saturday, in the Redskins' preseason opener at Carolina, Taylor again played with the second unit. He caught Williams' eye when he played part of the game with a broken chinstrap. Then, on the next defensive series, Taylor "borrowed" the helmet of fellow safety Pierson Prioleau, Williams said.

"He didn't want to give Pierson an opportunity to take his reps, so he just took Pierson's helmet," Williams said, smiling.

The 6-2, 232-pound safety out of Miami had a standout rookie season with the Redskins in 2004, starting 13 games and recording four interceptions and two forced fumbles. He developed a reputation for punishing tackles.

During a media session on Aug. 1, Taylor said he had no problem working hard to regain a starting job.

"I have been working 21 years of my life to get to this level," he said. "To me, working is no big deal. That's what I do--I work. Working is going to push me to get better."

In the three weeks since training camp began, Williams has noticed that Taylor is increasingly more comfortable at the NFL level.

"He's more comfortable with what happens in front of him, with offensive systems and schemes," Williams said. "By no means is he a polished product--none of the players are. But he'll continue to get better at that the longer he's around us."

http://www.redskins.com/news/trainingCampDetail.jsp?id=9012

I never read anything on ST saying "I'm taking as much time as I need, and if that means they're upset and want to get rid of me, then so be it, Arrington said."

heres an old article on ST.....too bad we didn't see a similar article on LA.....otherwise we wouldnt be having this discusion!!!!!

Sean Taylor disappointed many on the Redskins when he did not participate in off-season workouts this year. Since he rejoined the team in late July, Taylor appears to be working hard to make up for time lost.

Assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams called Taylor an "old-school player" in that the second-year safety plays full-go all the time, be it in practice, a meaningless preseason game or a regular season game.

"It doesn't make a difference if you're playing in the parking lot or in a tunnel, when it's time to light it up, he plays all the way," Williams said. "He doesn't slow down and he doesn't know any other way. That's why it's so fun to coach him.

"He has been tremendous in meetings. He is in very good condition. And he has caught up on some of the new things we have been working on. He is having a very good camp."

Taylor is listed as the starting free safety on the team's depth chart. During the Aug. 6 scrimmage at Baltimore, Taylor played with the second-team defense--but that means little because Williams likes to tinker with different schemes during the preseason.

Taylor made his presence known with several hard hits against the Ravens. He broke up a touchdown pass in the end zone with a hit on a wide receiver, then knocked the ball away.

Last Saturday, in the Redskins' preseason opener at Carolina, Taylor again played with the second unit. He caught Williams' eye when he played part of the game with a broken chinstrap. Then, on the next defensive series, Taylor "borrowed" the helmet of fellow safety Pierson Prioleau, Williams said.

"He didn't want to give Pierson an opportunity to take his reps, so he just took Pierson's helmet," Williams said, smiling.

The 6-2, 232-pound safety out of Miami had a standout rookie season with the Redskins in 2004, starting 13 games and recording four interceptions and two forced fumbles. He developed a reputation for punishing tackles.

During a media session on Aug. 1, Taylor said he had no problem working hard to regain a starting job.

"I have been working 21 years of my life to get to this level," he said. "To me, working is no big deal. That's what I do--I work. Working is going to push me to get better."

In the three weeks since training camp began, Williams has noticed that Taylor is increasingly more comfortable at the NFL level.

"He's more comfortable with what happens in front of him, with offensive systems and schemes," Williams said. "By no means is he a polished product--none of the players are. But he'll continue to get better at that the longer he's around us."

http://www.redskins.com/news/trainingCampDetail.jsp?id=9012

What's your point?

Actually he's the best LB that gets to play. When LA's on the field everyone knows who's better. Don't forget Pre- GW, in terms of individual play. There were only 1 or 2 LB's better than LA. That's it. Marcus Washinton is sweet, but it just seems that some of you forgot. Damn I wonder if this situation happen to Darrell Green would you all act the same way or not. You all are scaring me.

Yeah Pre GW when he was the best player on a NON PLAYOFF TEAM!!!

I have not forgotten that, just like the coaches have not forgotten how Lavar basically said "F-you I am coming back when I am ready!" during the offseason.

The coaches didn't forget that despite Lavar being out basically the whole year, they were the No. 3 D in the league!

And this would not happen to Darrell Green you know why, because DG was a professional! DG would not call out his own coaches saying that they rushed him back when it was not the truth! In fact comparing Lavar with DG is an insult to DG.

Darrell Green is everything Arrington is not......Green had a great team attitude....Green was a go to practice early and leave late type of player...Green had a team first mentality..Green had one of the best attitudes this skins organization has seen..do you know who his coach was when he got drafted?

Darrell Green is everything Arrington is not......Green had a great team attitude....Green was a go to practice early and leave late type of player...Green had a team first mentality..Green had one of the best attitudes this skins organization has seen..do you know who his coach was when he got drafted?

Amen!

Here is a clue: He is the current coach of the Washington Redskins

What's your point?

let me break it down for you....LOL!!!!

simple question....this statement below.....is this statement an example of a player having a good attitude or a bad one?

"I'm taking as much time as I need, and if that means they're upset and want to get rid of me, then so be it, Arrington said."

show me a similar ariticle of ST saying something to this degree!!!!!

Yeah Pre GW when he was the best player on a NON PLAYOFF TEAM!!!

I have not forgotten that, just like the coaches have not forgotten how Lavar basically said "F-you I am coming back when I am ready!" during the offseason.

The coaches didn't forget that despite Lavar being out basically the whole year, they were the No. 3 D in the league!

And this would not happen to Darrell Green you know why, because DG was a professional! DG would not call out his own coaches saying that they rushed him back when it was not the truth! In fact comparing Lavar with DG is an insult to DG.

He felt they rushed him back. And please don't disrespect LA because of the terrible D we had. Our Defensive Coordinate that year was a college coach from Duke don't insault LA like that. The fact of the matter is LA called him out true. But ST who I love was going to holdout, and didn't even answer Gibbs' calls. And the only reason he didn't hold out was because of the crime. The coaching staff want to use ethics, well their meaning of ethics is all messed up. And if Joe and his staff are screwing LA for that then they should be ashamed of themselves. Last year we had AP calling a great game. Marshall is out of position but his doing the best job he can. Holdman is sticking up the place. LA with Williams would kill. And about this Freelancing thing..... Ummm I think a lot of great LB's Freelance. That's what kills me. Ray freelances, Urlacher freelances, Zach Thomas Freelances, and handful of prime time LB's freelance. That's what kills me the most. Jesse Armstead freelanced as well. What the hell!!!!! Look when Ray was in Baltimore in the start of his career and his D sucked, are you telling me you would bench a guy who got 10 to 15 tackles a game, with a suspect D. LaVar would make the D better that's simple. Experts know it, and opposing QB's know it. Stop listening to the coaching staff that's lying to your face.

let me break it down for you....LOL!!!!

simple question....this statement below.....is this statement an example of a player having a good attitude or a bad one?

"I'm taking as much time as I need, and if that means they're upset and want to get rid of me, then so be it, Arrington said."

show me a similar ariticle of ST saying something to this degree!!!!!

I don't see nothing wrong with that statement. He was venting out frustration. ST does it by action.

So you tell me that LA's not a classy player? Let's break this down how many players on our squad goes down to Urban area's to become a positive influence for the kids. Not many. LA does a lot for this community, hence to me he's in a class of a DG. Ask DG what he thinks of LA? He's always had the respect of DG. You know why because LA gets what a Redskins about. You definitely just don't know. LA goes to Southeast DC for charities and what not. Get out of here.

I see it as a failure by the coaching staff, not for deciding whether or not to play LA, but for their failure to properly instruct and train him into doing what he needs to do. He has raw talent and skill theres no doubt about that. He has the ability to fill a gap in this team that has become patently obvious as lacking.

He felt they rushed him back. And please don't disrespect LA because of the terrible D we had. Our Defensive Coordinate that year was a college coach from Duke don't insault LA like that. The fact of the matter is LA called him out true. But ST who I love was going to holdout, and didn't even answer Gibbs' calls. And the only reason he didn't hold out was because of the crime. The coaching staff want to use ethics, well their meaning of ethics is all messed up. And if Joe and his staff are screwing LA for that then they should be ashamed of themselves. Last year we had AP calling a great game. Marshall is out of position but his doing the best job he can. Holdman is sticking up the place. LA with Williams would kill. And about this Freelancing thing..... Ummm I think a lot of great LB's Freelance. That's what kills me. Ray freelances, Urlacher freelances, Zach Thomas Freelances, and handful of prime time LB's freelance. That's what kills me the most. Jesse Armstead freelanced as well. What the hell!!!!! Look when Ray was in Baltimore in the start of his career and his D sucked, are you telling me you would bench a guy who got 10 to 15 tackles a game, with a suspect D. LaVar would make the D better that's simple. Experts know it, and opposing QB's know it. Stop listening to the coaching staff that's lying to your face.

Well if LA felt that the coaches rushed him back, then handle that behind the scenes, don't call out the coaches in the media, because the coaches sure enough have not called him out in public.

In terms of the "great" LBs you just mentioned, Lavar is not better than anyone of them right now...so please let it go...Lavar has the physical abilities that they have, but it takes more than just talent and physical abilities to be a great player.

I don't whether the coaching staff is lying, or not telling us everything to protect Lavar...but I will take their word over Lavar's, the so called experts or opposing QBs...I don't root for any of them, I root for the Washington Redskins

I will be the first to agree with you that LA is a great talent and we would be better off playing him vs benching him.....but you as well as others fail to realize this whole thing has everything to do with Lavar's attitude/crying and not being a commited soilder fighting for this team...he milked his come back ....came into training camp two weeks prior to the reg. season ....this coaching staff rewarding him a starting position would go against everything Gibbs and co. stand for....Gibbs wants guys to want to be on the field wheather it be at practice or in a live game....gibbs is looking for guys who work hard ....Lavar failed in that aspect!!!!! now Lavar wants his old starting spot back but didn't put the time in during the pre season/training camp

my advice to you is to read some old articles about the Skins teams prior to Joe Gibbs and the lack of discipline....on the cell phones....coming late to practices....leaving early....it is cancer i tell you....all it takes is one guy who decides to fight the system....and than the whole system crumbles into a losing season.

this statement tells it all

"I'm taking as much time as I need, and if that means they're upset and want to get rid of me, then so be it," Arrington said.

So you tell me that LA's not a classy player? Let's break this down how many players on our squad goes down to Urban area's to become a positive influence for the kids. Not many. LA does a lot for this community, hence to me he's in a class of a DG. Ask DG what he thinks of LA? He's always had the respect of DG. You know why because LA gets what a Redskins about. You definitely just don't know. LA goes to Southeast DC for charities and what not. Get out of here.

I am not saying he isn't a classy player, but comparing him to DG in terms of class is not even close...No one wants to talk about the fact that Lavar basically pulled a Stackhouse and said "I am not rushing back I am taking my time...if you don't like then get rid of me!" That is called drawing the line in the sand right there...so if draw the line in the sand with the owner of the sand lot, who do you think is gonna flinch first??? I love Lavar and want him on the field ASAP, but he made his own bed, so now he has to lay in it!

Well if LA felt that the coaches rushed him back, then handle that behind the scenes, don't call out the coaches in the media, because the coaches sure enough have not called him out in public.

In terms of the "great" LBs you just mentioned, Lavar is not better than anyone of them right now...so please let it go...Lavar has the physical abilities that they have, but it takes more than just talent and physical abilities to be a great player.

I don't whether the coaching staff is lying, or not telling us everything to protect Lavar...but I will take their word over Lavar's, the so called experts or opposing QBs...I don't root for any of them, I root for the Washington Redskins

Put the dude on the field then get at me. Warrick Holdman is better than a LaVar? Are you serious?? Warrick Holdman? Personal, that's all it is. Slim I'm a die hard skins fan don't get it twisted, but if the Skins are doing something that seems to me to be a mistake I'm going to voice my opinion. I love this Country but the Prez is dumb as dirt, (not comparing Gibbs to the Prez. If Gibbs was the prez we the US would a lot better.) When LaVar was on the field he was better than all but 2 of them. Ray Lewis, and you could change up him and Urlacher. If they are benching LA for what happen in the offseason they are contradicting themselves and that's my whole point anyway.

I am not saying he isn't a classy player, but comparing him to DG in terms of class is not even close...No one wants to talk about the fact that Lavar basically pulled a Stackhouse and said "I am not rushing back I am taking my time...if you don't like then get rid of me!" That is called drawing the line in the sand right there...so if draw the line in the sand with the owner of the sand lot, who do you think is gonna flinch first??? I love Lavar and want him on the field ASAP, but he made his own bed, so now he has to lay in it!

Well LaVar after that situation has done whatever they've ask from him. So they need to act like a real organization and put it past them. And like I said if they are benching him for that they are contradicting themselves.

dont put words in my mouth....LOL!!!! show me a post where i have written that sugests Arrington was not a good person within his community!!!!!

I have written and have suggested Arrington has fought with this coaching staff...and has claimed to quit on this team because he wasn't getting his way!!!!! he also said they can get rid of me if they dont like it....Lavar said that ...not me!!!!!

once again....Lavar's words not mine!!!!

"I'm taking as much time as I need, and if that means they're upset and want to get rid of me, then so be it," Arrington said.

Put the dude on the field then get at me. Warrick Holdman is better than a LaVar? Are you serious?? Warrick Holdman? Personal, that's all it is. Slim I'm a die hard skins fan don't get it twisted, but if the Skins are doing something that seems to me to be a mistake I'm going to voice my opinion. I love this Country but the Prez is dumb as dirt, (not comparing Gibbs to the Prez. If Gibbs was the prez we the US would a lot better.) When LaVar was on the field he was better than all but 2 of them. Ray Lewis, and you could change up him and Urlacher. If they are benching LA for what happen in the offseason they are contradicting themselves and that's my whole point anyway.

My thing is this, why is it hard to believe that Lavar, after not 1 but 2 knee surgeries, that he is not the same player as he was before the surgeries???

The coaches watch practice. I am not saying that it isn't personal between the coaches and Lavar. I am sure it is, but my point is this, the coaches did not make it personal , Lavar did.

I will be the first to agree with you that LA is a great talent and we would be better off playing him vs benching him.....but you as well as others fail to realize this whole thing has everything to do with Lavar's attitude/crying and not being a commited soilder fighting for this team...he milked his come back ....came into training camp two weeks prior to the reg. season ....this coaching staff rewarding him a starting position would go against everything Gibbs and co. stand for....Gibbs wants guys to want to be on the field wheather it be at practice or in a live game....gibbs is looking for guys who work hard ....Lavar failed in that aspect!!!!! now Lavar wants his old starting spot back but didn't put the time in during the pre season/training camp

my advice to you is to read some old articles about the Skins teams prior to Joe Gibbs and the lack of discipline....on the cell phones....coming late to practices....leaving early....it is cancer i tell you....all it takes is one guy who decides to fight the system....and than the whole system crumbles into a losing season.

this statement tells it all

See you're not understanding the whole situation. LA should start to me, but if he doesn't start who cares, but no action, come now!! Shoot do you think John Riggins wasn't the great player to be around in terms of work ethic. If they are benching LA for the reasons you're telling me then they're still contradicting themselves.

Well LaVar after that situation has done whatever they've ask from him. So they need to act like a real organization and put it past them. And like I said if they are benching him for that they are contradicting themselves.

How do you know he has? And how are they contradicting themselves by not playing him because he called out the organization? Who else have they let do that and practically given them their starting job back??

My thing is this, why is it hard to believe that Lavar, after not 1 but 2 knee surgeries, that he is not the same player as he was before the surgeries???

The coaches watch practice. I am not saying that it isn't personal between the coaches and Lavar. I am sure it is, but my point is this, the coaches did not make it personal , Lavar did.

If that's the case just say it!!! Flat out just say it. To tell you the truth, they are making the situation much awkward. If they would Deactive him or tell the media that then everyone would be happy. Instead of "he's improving" "who you want me to take out Holdman, Daniels, Wynn." They are making this whole situation a distraction.

How do you know he has? And how are they contradicting themselves by not playing him because he called out the organization? Who else have they let do that and practically given them their starting job back??

The Staff has said it. ST basically spitt in Gibbs face. Plain and simple. If starting or not starting, let the man step on the field of play( Not Special teams). Explain not seeing the field....

If that's the case just say it!!! Flat out just say it. To tell you the truth, they are making the situation much awkward. If they would Deactive him or tell the media that then everyone would be happy. Instead of "he's improving" "who you want me to take out Holdman, Daniels, Wynn." They are making this whole situation a distraction.

Why would they do that?? If they came out and said "Lavar is not the same player he was before his surgeries!" You would be pissed about that!! It also would lower any trade value that he could have in the future. You can't have it both ways. There are somethings that we know about, and there are somethings you keep in house. It is not the coaches fault that you or some folks in the media don't believe what they say...there main concern is how to beat SF!

Lavar made his most inflammatory remarks towards the coaching staff last week (before the KC game). There was absolutely no way he was going to play after those remarks. If it was a shock to anyone, then the term "naive" comes to mind. However, he is saying the right things now... in other words, he's being respectful and not letting his pride get in the way. I'm sure the coaches and players have choice words toward one another INSIDE closed practices (granted mostly from the coaches to the players), but they should never carry over into the media. Listen to what most players around the NFL say about their coaching staff. They are either wise players and know not to openly crititize their coaches to the media because it's counterproductive or they've learned the hard way. Lavar is learning the hard way. As he continues to work hard in practice, play within the system, and pay respect to his coaches with the media, then he will play more and more. IMO, he will be very respectful on 980 today. He knows what he needs to do. In fact he knew what he needed to do before, but he let his emotions and pride get in the way last week. He knows who the bosses are... so do all of the players. This coaching staff will never tolerate the kind of attitude and disrespect that you see with the Ravens. ALL of the players are very well aware of that now. My guess is that we'll see Lavar a bit on Sunday and he will continue to play more and more as the season goes on. I'd be VERY surprised if he doesn't play this Sunday. Call it a hunch, but I believe he's working within the system now and I think today's interview will reflect that. We'll see...

Archived