Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs on NBC 4 and *livid*...

wilbur58z

he seems like he does not have time for fun and games anymore. I like that. He told it like it is how the refs cost us the game. And ended the Lavar talk telling it like it is. I guess he is tired of the media always making a story bigger then the team. First it was Ramsey now Arrington.

That's the way it should be, Gibbs is getting his team ready for the big one and it's just matter of time before he weeds out the bad apples.

Perhaps posting your comments in this thread: http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120361 would have been better.

Which was right under the thread you just created

I would disagree that this should have been in the other thread. The other thread speaks to Gibbs' comments on LA - this thread speaks to Gibbs demeanor in general - related, but separate.

Gibbs was a bit more pissed the Wed. before the Dallas game. We know how that turned out...

That's good to see actually. No one wins by smiling when you are getting your butt kicked all over the field. As a matter of fact, that was the one thing during the Norv Turner years that really got under my skin. It seemed like all the players didn't really care if they lost. Joe's got things going the right direction. Losing is not acceptable, bottom line. I love it.

I was one of the many posters around here who was pretty steamed about the situation. Until today ..

I have incredible trust in Joe Gibbs and think he's one of the highest character people in professional sports .. not necessarily GW, because I don't really know him other than his stellar D last year .. and if Gibbs says that Arrington knows what he needs to do, then I believe him. Now Art has been saying this for days, but who's going to believe HIM?! :D

What I DON'T understand is why we went through all of the trouble to make Lavar happy several weeks ago if we planned to have him sit on the bench. This is the one issue that I still don't understand!

Freaking dumbest thing I have ever heard!! Why dont we just f ing bow down to Lavar cause you like him... F lavar I am sick of his comments about me me me me me me me me and me me me and me and some more me me.. He got paid, he is not on the field and there is a reason. He aint cutting it. Get over it.

Really?! You must be deaf & dumb then. I thought Skinstzar point was valid, hilarious & hit real close to home.

And don't blame LaVar for the media questions, the coaching staff has created this by telling the media & public they're looking to play LaVar more and then playing Lavar less & less and not at all.

1) at some point...folks have to recognize that a pattern has been developing in which there is continued conflict between players and staff. It may be just housecleaning - but these are not isolated incidents.

2) If LA is useless and doesn't fit the staff's scheme, as many on this board sugegst, then let him go (put cap issues aside for the moment). We are playing games with fewer players than the teams we face!

3) Lavar doesn't cut it as many are stating. Let him go to the Iggles or Gints - we won't suffer. We will exploit the eweaknesses we know only too well.

Lavar has a rep for being overly dramatic. What I've learned about overly dramatic people is they tend to stretch the truth when the mic is on. However, Lavar played well in preseason I thought. The coaches first come out and say they're nursing him back in from an injury. They weren't nursing him in pre-season. Now they're saying they're not calling his packages. It's confusing and someone is yanking our chain. Gibbs, Williams and Lavar need to go into a room and have at it, get this crap taken care of immediately. If it's an ego thing, get past it, because Lavar IS better than Holdman, he just is. Holdman got beat last week, happens to everyone.

He has a right to be livid, I mean we are after all 3-1 and Lavar can't keep his freakin' mouth shut about playing time. I said it earlier today and I'll say it again Lavar is finished here and this situation is going to end up like Meyshawn Johnson and Tampa Bay. I am sorry I was a one time Lavar fan but we are 3-1 with a tough game coming up and all Lavar is contributing is major headaches for Gibbs and GW.

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

LaVar is not causing a disruption, his lack of playing time is. Even if he "keeps his freakin' mouth shut." The entire league, players, coaches and fans are going to be talking about it. How is LaVar contibuting to anyone's headaches. Do you suppose if LaVar hid from the media, they would quit asking Gibbs and Williams why LaVar isn't playing?

It's easy to make LaVar the goat here, but clearly it's the fact he's not playing and not his public comments which are bringing all the attention to the situation.

I think Lavar just showed why Lavar's not playing: he won't & perhaps can't change. His lack of discipline in keeping this within the locker room is reflective of his lack of discipline as a player. He might be a playmaker -- heck, he is -- but if he out of position at the end of the Cowboys game, they might make a play to get a 1st down and win the game. With our low scoring offense, we cannot take the chance to have a freestyle player in a very good defense.

IMO it should be Coach William's addressing it once and for all. It is doubtful LaVar is so dense he did not comprehend what he was told about his playing time IF someone spelled it out for him.

Bottom line: I bet if William's did not talk to LaVar yesterday they sure as hell will today spell it out in a sit down in Gibb's office. There will be no more confusion. If i am LaVar I am asking for an immediate trade. Someone will need him.

1) at some point...folks have to recognize that a pattern has been developing in which there is continued conflict between players and staff. It may be just housecleaning - but these are not isolated incidents.

Your absolutely right a pattern is developing at Redskin Park and it’s a beautiful thing. This staff is ridding the team of me first players and malcontents for hard nosed team players that love the game and lay it on the line in both practice and on Sundays.

The fact that some fail see how this approach is translating on the field is baffling.

They have addressed it several times. They think they're playing the best linebackers, nobody wants to hear it. Lavar is a really sloppy football player many smart Redskin's fans could have told you that 5 years ago, but Snyder all by himself made him the highest paid player for marketing purposes just like Deion, Bruce Smith, Spurrier, and Jeff George before him. Lavar leg humpers just need to chill out and accept this fact, before they give Gibbs a heart attack.

Didn't Gibbs workout LaVar's contract dispute..... to make him happy, when they could have easily won an arbitration case?

So if he felt he was important to the Skins, why would he sit him over something childish like a personal grudge....

Gibbs has never lied to the fans, he doesn't air a players dirty laundry in the press, and unlike many coaches has the love and respect of almost if not all his former players.

One of the stipulations in that contract resolution was that LaVar had to make the Pro Bowl to get paid that extra money. How is he going to get to the pro bowl if he's not playing? And how is he going to get that money he feels he's owed that management feels they don't owe him if he's not in the Pro Bowl?

See what I'm saying?

I saw Lavar comment on it in NFL Live in the locker room and he sounded helpless. Like he's done all he could do and doesn't know what else to do. He was upset that people were starting to question his character ONLY BECAUSE he wasn't playing. But the comment that really struck me was when he said something like, "I don't have any evidence but I got my suspicion what it might be".

Right there tells me the contract might just very well be the whole thing driving this issue.

Yeah, you all think I'm crazy but you'll see...

I have three major thoughts about this whole thing. I apologize about the length of ths post, but I believe I have some fresh ideas and information that many others are probably not aware of. First of all, let me say that I've always loved Lavar (I own his jersey like thousands of others), but I've loved Gibbs and the Redskins a lot longer (like everyone else here). So I've tried to stay as objective as possible. But here are my thoughts:

1) Lavar let what media guys said get into his head too much. The coaches have simply said that Lavar's not a starter not right now, that he knows what he needs to do, that as soon as he proves that he is the best man for the job that he'll get more and more playing time. The coaches NEVER insinuated that Lavar was "stupid" or didn't understand "schemes." People in the MEDIA did that and Lavar was wrong to listen to the so-called media experts. Players must always separate what their coaches tell them with the analysis of "media gurus."

2) I am worried about Lavar's honesty and integrity. Joe Paterno never had very nice things to say about Lavar (aside from his unbelievable athletic ability and talent). Two good friends of mine are die-hard Penn State fans and they know that Joe Pa's relationship with Lavar was far from stellar. If you recall, Paterno was emphatic when he said that Courtney Brown was by far the best player that would be drafted the same year that Lavar was. I don't think it was because of talent, but because of "coachability" and "team attitude."

3) I remember one of Lavar's interviews on 980 last year. It was the one when he had just reinjured his knee. He sounded terrible, almost like death itself. He said he made a huge mistake, that he forced himself onto the field (against the coaches' wishes) and told everyone that he was ready to play... that they would physically have to remove him off the practice field if they didn't want him to participate. The coaches finally gave in. 10 minutes later Lavar reinjured his knee and was out for the season. He told the 980 crew that it was the most humbling experience, that he'd always listen to the coaches, that he'd never rush to get back onto the field after an injury again. I was totally bummed after the interview, but thought to myself, "I'm glad this guy has learned something... I can't wait 'till he comes back." Then, earlier this year, he says the EXACT OPPOSITE!!! He says that the coaches rushed him back onto the field and that's why he reinjured his knee. It was FLAT-OUT UNBELIEVABLE. I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing. I think Lavar actually made himself believe that that was the truth. In reality, nothing could have been further from the truth. I'm sure the coaches didn't appreciate that one bit! And I think the same thing is going on now.

The three items above make me feel that, without a doubt, there's an honesty or integrity issue here. I fear that Lavar doesn't recall how things went and that he's putting himself above the team. I think that he probably hasn't changed much since his battles with Paterno at Penn State. He's matured some, no doubt about it. But he's still got the same character flaws and "me" attitude and it's put him in the doghouse.

How could we doubt the coaches? If he was playing well in practice, don't you think they'd want to play him more? His strength and speed are unmatched, but there's a lot more to football than strength and speed. Maybe he's not getting more reps with the first team because he's not even playing well with the 2nd team? Has anyone ever thought about that?

I've rarely heard Joe Gibbs talk the way he has. He's obviously told Lavar what he needs to do and he's tired of it. Gibbs is always friendly and goes out of his way to address the needs of his players and ensure their happiness. But I think Lavar's gone over the edge here and the coaches are making an example out of him, as they should. But I also believe that once he starts showing it with the 2nd team, and then the first team in practice, he will play more. The coaches want to win, plain and simple... so they will put the best players on the field to maximize their chances of winning. If you are guilty of this, then please stop doubting the coaches!!! They know more than all of us!!!

Again, sorry for the length of this post, but I don't write many. I am a "newbie" and respect everything the veterens of this site have said. And I hope that I am continuing the tradition that this site was originally based on.

Lavar would take WAY too much cap space for a player not on the roster. And it would be for like 7 years of it.

This has to be worked out.

I also find it odd every one all of a sudden questioning his character. I havn't seen nothing but good things personality wise from the man. For example, he just took ALOT of hurricane victims to Walmart and gave them $200 gift cards EACH to go shopping! That's alot of money and time that he didn't have to give them, but he did to help their situation.

Maybe LaVar has memory lapses or can be a little quick to say things in the heat of the moment with out thinking, but I would never question his character.

I think the guy is a caring and giving person. But he's a competitor with a lot of pride. I'm not attacking all aspects of his character, just the parts that affect his play and the way he's handled the situation with the coaches. I mean, how does the guy flat-out lie about last year's injury? (See my post a couple up from here if you're unaware of this). Again, I like Lavar... I know he does a lot of things for disadvantaged people and that he means well. But I think his competitive nature clouds his judgement sometimes and I also think he's forgotten the way a lot of things happened. He's got a lot of pride and like most people, he needs to blame it on someone else. The guy says the coaches don't talk to him, yet Gibbs says he's talked to Lavar more than any other player in 30 years. I believe Gibbs in that case...

On the other hand, what do you expect Lavar to say? "Yeah, I'm just no playing very well right now. I've been getting burned in practice and Holdman looks sharper than I do." Do you really expect him to say that? He would never admit to anything like that because players always want their market values to be high!

Archived