Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins offense: Has anyone realized yet that....

TC4

....this season we scored at least 20 points in a game in week three, although be it just 20 points last week against the Seahawks

Compare that to last season. In 2004, we didn't score 20+ points in a game until week 13 against the Giants, when we put up 31.

Could this mean that the Redskins offense is a sleeping giant(And NO Tom[Giants fan], not one of THOSE giants :nana: ) about to awaken?

Discuss....

This offense is a work in progress in 05. The have show the ability to make the big play when the game is on the line, but they are still inconsistent and should have scored one more time last week to put the Seahawks away.

If this offense gets going we could make a legitimate playoff run!

:finersx:

....this season we scored at least 20 points in a game in week three, although be it just 20 points last week against the Seahawks

Compare that to last season. In 2004, we didn't score 20+ points in a game until week 13 against the Giants, when we put up 31.

Could this mean that the Redskins offense is a sleeping giant(And NO Tom[Giants fan], not one of THOSE giants :nana: ) about to awaken?

Discuss....

It took 5 quarters to score 20 points...but I agree that the offense is a work in progress.

Except for a few series.....we moved the ball pretty well on the Seahawks.

Look at the 1st drive, we took what 8-10 minutes-- sadly we had our field goal blocked.

So, here's the good and bad of our O so far,

Good:

We can move the ball down field in long drives and eat TOP

We can run the ball (Portis hasn't had 170+ run games, but he's been really solid in 2 of 3 games- same goes for Betts)

We can convert 3rd downs much better than last year

We have a pass game (Moss and Thrash, but everybody has been contributing)

O-line has looked better each week

Bad:

Still not scoring as much as everybody likes.....

No rushing TDs yet...a head scratcher with our O-line, Portis and Betts

Red Zone O not there yet, it seems like we're fine until inside the 20 and then we tighten up.

Finally, with our team (run first, strong D etc.) we shouldn't be getting 40+ points a game (unless we get some big plays from ST or D gets some turnovers).

I still wonder what this offense would have been like if we had signed Corey Dillon and traded Bailey for a 1st.

I doubt Dillon would have been happy here. He wanted to win, and at the time. The Skins were not winning. I don't think he would have wanted to sign with another "rebuilding" team.

edit: and I doubt he would have taken last years growing pains as well as Portis did. There would have been whining by him in the media no doubt.

We can all wonder what the team would have been like if we had traded Bailey for a first (plus extra low pick) and kept the 2nd rounder. I like Portis but it's still a mystery to me why Gibbs thought he could be a power running back.

Skins are not close to being a great team. They may be getting close to being a good team. If the offense continues to improve then the Skins have a chance at making the playoffs this year.

mmm a sleeping giant? no. a rising nfc powerhouse? no. a respectable program that is capable of scoring and getting big plays when needed, but is mainly focused on playing to the defense, keeping the other team's offense off the field? YES!

I'll drink to that.

They are coming around slowly. They have shown they can move the ball in 2 of the 3 games. We are bad in the red zone because no one thinks our running game can get a TD. We need better run blocking, and either Patten, Jacobs or Thrash to step up and be the #2 receiver.

The Redskins offense has shown improvements steadily over the season. I don't think that they will blow anybody out with their scoring or anything like that but I think they will score enough points for the defense to work with and win us games. Remember the strongest part of the Redskins team is their defense. On the skins' offense needs to do is be consistent and play mistake free. With our defense, if the offense is able to have good TOP and move the ball consistently, then the D will handle the rest.

It's going to take a few tweaking of our offensive gears to get our powerhouse cranking full steam. Coach Gibbs has been doing it since last season. We will continue to grow. We need better offensive line play IMO. Especially for Clinton, he needs some room to do his thing. Pass protection seems to be adequate though.

Archived