Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs Confirms Arrington Benching (LaMerged Mergington)

kingdaddy

Gibbs Confirms Arrington Has Lost Starting Job

Linebacker Has Seen Limited Playing Time in Redskins' Unbeaten Start

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports

WASHINGTON (Oct. 3) - In the jubilation of three thrilling victories and a surprising first-place perch atop the NFC East, one nagging question persists for the Washington Redskins.

What happened to LaVar Arrington?

Coach Joe Gibbs finally gave the direct answer Monday: "He's not a starter."

Yes, Arrington, the fearsome linebacker known to change games with an interception or jarring sack, the Pro Bowl selection each of his last three healthy seasons, the player with the much-disputed $68 million contract, is now one of the most popular and expensive bench-warmers in franchise history.

No one is more flummoxed than Arrington himself, who for the first time is talking openly about the prospects of playing elsewhere.

"I hate not playing, but I don't make those decisions," Arrington said. "It's interesting to me that the finger is pointed at me when I'm not playing like, 'Why aren't you playing LaVar?' or 'What am I doing wrong not to be playing?' I'm here every day. I'm here on time. I don't get in trouble off the field. I don't get in trouble on the field. I do what I'm asked to do. That's how I've always been."

Arrington was on the field for two plays and didn't do anything to register on the stat sheet in Sunday's 20-17 overtime victory over Seattle. He's been used on a few plays through three games - including the first play of the Dallas game, which technically gave him credit for one start - and has just two tackles to show for his efforts.

"If the direction is going away from me and going towards other things then, as a man, I have to accept that," Arrington said. "I have to move on and figure out what's next for me."

Stars rise and fall with regularity in the NFL, but Arrington's dive has perplexed fans more than usual because he is arguably the most-liked player on the team. His autograph was the one most in demand at training camp, and his No. 56 jersey easily trumps anyone else's at any substantial gathering of Redskins' faithful.

Initially, coaches explained Arrington's lack of playing time by saying they were working him into a few packages to get him back in the flow after knee surgery. That explanation wore out quickly: Arrington said he's "100 percent healthy" and he hasn't been listed on the team's official injury report.

"He's not a starter and hasn't started," Gibbs said. "I know he's disappointed in not making more of an impact, not playing more, but I think it's something we have to work our way through. I think it's one of those things scheme-wise for our defense, it's the best way I would answer that. We've got a lot of guys that are talented guys who can do a lot of things for us. ... Health-wise, I think he's back."

That's a load of coach-speak for "We think someone else can do the job better."

Perhaps as surprising as Arrington's benching is how well he's handling it. He's been known to go on a mini-tirade when something doesn't go his way, but he's played the good soldier this time.

"I obviously lost the job. I'm not a starter anymore. If people want to ridicule me and condemn me for losing a job after an injury then so be it, that's what I have to deal with it, but I'm still not going to be part of an ongoing soap opera about why I'm not playing," Arrington said. "I'm going to be supportive of my teammates. I don't need to sit here and throw mud."

The No. 2 overall pick from Penn State in 2000, Arrington made the Pro Bowl from 2001-03 with play that was reckless but made an impact. He gave a career-ending concussion to Dallas quarterback Troy Aikman and returned from a near-concussion of his own to turn around the 2001 season with an interception and score against Carolina.

A knee injury made Arrington a non-factor last season. He played in four games and was obviously ailing. The defense didn't need him anyway - they ranked No. 3 in the league using the aggressive mix-and-match packages of new assistant coach Gregg Williams.

Arrington's frustrations boiled over in the spring when he accused the Redskins of mishandling his knee injury and of stalling the outcome of a dispute over a bonus that Arrington contends was left out of his contract. Arrington met with Gibbs to mend their differences, and the contract matter was settled with a compromise in late August.

He missed much of training camp during his final weeks of recovery from knee surgery, but he was back on the field for the third preseason game and looked ready to resume his old place in the lineup.

But it never happened. Free agent signee Warrick Holdman has been starting on the weak side despite a minimal presence in the first three games. When the defense needs an extra linebacker to apply pressure, the team usually calls on Chris Clemons, who played in all of six NFL games before this season.

"I have youth," the 27-year-old Arrington said. "That's a beautiful thing. I'm hungry. I'm by no means a content individual. I'm not content with where I'm at. I don't need to be motivated. I'm motivated. I'm ready to go."

EDIT: oops ya beat me to it :laugh:

WASHINGTON (Oct. 3) - In the jubilation of three thrilling victories and a surprising first-place perch atop the NFC East, one nagging question persists for the Washington Redskins.

King of the Hill Fantasy Football

Yes, Arrington, the fearsome linebacker known to change games with an interception or jarring sack, the Pro Bowl selection each of his last three healthy seasons, the player with the much-disputed $68 million contract, is now one of the most popular and expensive bench-warmers in franchise history.

No one is more flummoxed than Arrington himself, who for the first time is talking openly about the prospects of playing elsewhere.

"I hate not playing, but I don't make those decisions," Arrington said. "It's interesting to me that the finger is pointed at me when I'm not playing like, 'Why aren't you playing LaVar?' or 'What am I doing wrong not to be playing?' I'm here every day. I'm here on time. I don't get in trouble off the field. I don't get in trouble on the field. I do what I'm asked to do. That's how I've always been."

Arrington was on the field for two plays and didn't do anything to register on the stat sheet in Sunday's 20-17 overtime victory over Seattle. He's been used on a few plays through three games - including the first play of the Dallas game, which technically gave him credit for one start - and has just two tackles to show for his efforts.

"If the direction is going away from me and going towards other things then, as a man, I have to accept that," Arrington said. "I have to move on and figure out what's next for me."

Redskins Talk

· Fan Voices: Message Board | Blogs

· Text Alerts: Player | Score

· Expressions: Icons and More

· More Sports: Today's Hot Topics

Stars rise and fall with regularity in the NFL, but Arrington's dive has perplexed fans more than usual because he is arguably the most-liked player on the team. His autograph was the one most in demand at training camp, and his No. 56 jersey easily trumps anyone else's at any substantial gathering of Redskins' faithful.

Initially, coaches explained Arrington's lack of playing time by saying they were working him into a few packages to get him back in the flow after knee surgery. That explanation wore out quickly: Arrington said he's "100 percent healthy" and he hasn't been listed on the team's official injury report.

"He's not a starter and hasn't started," Gibbs said. "I know he's disappointed in not making more of an impact, not playing more, but I think it's something we have to work our way through. I think it's one of those things scheme-wise for our defense, it's the best way I would answer that. We've got a lot of guys that are talented guys who can do a lot of things for us. ... Health-wise, I think he's back."

Perhaps as surprising as Arrington's benching is how well he's handling it. He's been known to go on a mini-tirade when something doesn't go his way, but he's played the good soldier this time.

"I obviously lost the job. I'm not a starter anymore. If people want to ridicule me and condemn me for losing a job after an injury then so be it, that's what I have to deal with it, but I'm still not going to be part of an ongoing soap opera about why I'm not playing," Arrington said. "I'm going to be supportive of my teammates. I don't need to sit here and throw mud."

Green Bay QB Brett Favre

Time Out with Brett Favre

Watch Roy Firestone's exclusive interview with the superstar quarterback.

Exclusive Interview

Watch | Discuss the NFL

KW: Time Out

The No. 2 overall pick from Penn State in 2000, Arrington made the Pro Bowl from 2001-03 with play that was reckless but made an impact. He gave a career-ending concussion to Dallas quarterback Troy Aikman and returned from a near-concussion of his own to turn around the 2001 season with an interception and score against Carolina.

A knee injury made Arrington a non-factor last season. He played in four games and was obviously ailing. The defense didn't need him anyway - they ranked No. 3 in the league using the aggressive mix-and-match packages of new assistant coach Gregg Williams.

Arrington's frustrations boiled over in the spring when he accused the Redskins of mishandling his knee injury and of stalling the outcome of a dispute over a bonus that Arrington contends was left out of his contract. Arrington met with Gibbs to mend their differences, and the contract matter was settled with a compromise in late August.

He missed much of training camp during his final weeks of recovery from knee surgery, but he was back on the field for the third preseason game and looked ready to resume his old place in the lineup.

But it never happened. Free agent signee Warrick Holdman has been starting on the weak side despite a minimal presence in the first three games. When the defense needs an extra linebacker to apply pressure, the team usually calls on Chris Clemons, who played in all of six NFL games before this season.

"I have youth," the 27-year-old Arrington said. "That's a beautiful thing. I'm hungry. I'm by no means a content individual. I'm not content with where I'm at. I don't need to be motivated. I'm motivated. I'm ready to go."

10/03/05 19:48 EDT

Though a lot of people here would probably disagree with me, I like how LA's handling this whole situation. He says he wants to play, and will continue to work and support his teammates. I hope to see him get some play time in the future. Maybe he can prove he's worth playing as the season goes on.

Redskins Talk

· Fan Voices: Message Board | Blogs

· Text Alerts: Player | Score

· Expressions: Icons and More

· More Sports: Today's Hot Topics

Green Bay QB Brett Favre

Watch Roy Firestone's exclusive interview with the superstar quarterback.

Exclusive Interview

Watch | Discuss the NFL

KW: Time Out

10/03/05 19:48 EDT

I don't really like how Gibbs is handling some of these replacements. Pat was the starter, he got hurt, Mark went in, Pat was fine, but initially Gibbs let Mark play because he was concerned for Ramsey...Then Ramsey was fine, Mark's the starter...

Now, Lavar isn't playing because he's been hurt, training camp, we're working him back in slowly, etc, etc...Now, he's not playing because he lost his starting job.

It just seems a little sketchy to me. I don't know if Gibbs is just buying time with excuses while he makes his decision, or if he's afraid of the feeddback he'll get from coming right out and making these decisions...

I'm not complaining, 3-0, looking pretty good, but I would like to see Lavar on the field cracking some heads. Put him in, if he blows in, then I don't think anyone will have a problem with benching of trading Lavar.

Gibbs has never, and likely will never, discuss a player's shortcomings in public. To expect otherwise at this point is a waste of time. Like his style or not, it's his style. :)

As to the LA situation itself ... reading between the lines, the ONLY explanation that makes any sense to me is that the man, for all his physical gifts and engaging personality, either cannot or will not perform within Gregg Williams' system well enough for their comfort level.

This group is about WINNING, and if they thought this guy could help them win right now he'd be out there. We've seen it again and again---guys that play within the system and don't make mistakes play; those that struggle in those areas do not.

Until and unless we hear that there's something more than that going on here, that's what I believe is the issue. To FIX that, I think LaVar's going to have to be proactive with the coaches in terms of finding out what if anything he can do that he's not doing now---film study, extra work after practice, whatever---to earn their confidence back.

I respect him for not shooting off to the press, but I also hope his pride won't keep him from knocking on Coach Williams' door at some point real soon (assuming he hasn't already) and saying, "Excuse me, Coach? This is killing me. Please tell me straight---is there ANYTHING I can do to get back on the field?"

Coach Williams strikes me as a pretty pragmatic guy and straight shooter. My guess is he'd give LA a straight answer.

"Put him in, if he blows in, then I don't think anyone will have a problem with benching of trading Lavar."

So if he gives up the big play and we lose it's then ok to bench him. But if he is blows it in practice and the coach's see it but you don't then its not ok?

I'm not too happy about this, as a fan. I'm not a coach therefore I will not make any judgements on their decisions. If they think Holdman is doing a better job, then bye bye Lavar. The thing that sucks is we will NOT get our money's worth in a draft pick/trade for him. Everyone knows he's going to be simply cut. That SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Put him in, if he blows in, then I don't think anyone will have a problem with benching of trading Lavar."

So if he gives up the big play and we lose it's then ok to bench him. But if he is blows it in practice and the coach's see it but you don't then its not ok?

I don't agree with your philosophy, we have all heard the statement you play the way you practice, and that is what is going on. If LA is not getting it done in practice then you would have to think he would not get it done in a game. Don't get me wrong I am a Lavar fan, since he was at Penn State, but if he is not at 100% then he will not be the force that we are expecting him to be. Once he is 100% I am sure that he will be put on the field as a stater and be an impact player again.

I agree with OM on this one. I don't think Lavar fits into William's defense. Also, Gibbs is not benching Lavar, Williams is benching Lavar. For whatever reason, and I don't think health is an issue, the coaches don't believe Lavar can get the job done better than Holdman. I do like the idea of him moving to play some Dline because it would get him in the game more and hopefully create havic.

Let me start off by saying that when i pray i pray to joe gibbs, However i just cant see how in the world LA could hurt our D. Sure he likes to rome around and mirror the quaterback but hey what is the only weak point of our D ? Its the pass rush! I honestly cant think of anyone id rather have as a pass rusher so gimmie a break there is more to this than meets the eye i gaurantee it!

Let me start off by saying that when i pray i pray to joe gibbs, However i just cant see how in the world LA could hurt our D. Sure he likes to rome around and mirror the quaterback but hey what is the only weak point of our D ? Its the pass rush! I honestly cant think of anyone id rather have as a pass rusher so gimmie a break there is more to this than meets the eye i gaurantee it!

I also wondered why Lavar was not playing, but than I told myself I was just a fan and not a long time NFL coach that is respected throughout the league and everything became clear.

Though a lot of people here would probably disagree with me, I like how LA's handling this whole situation. He says he wants to play, and will continue to work and support his teammates. I hope to see him get some play time in the future. Maybe he can prove he's worth playing as the season goes on.

I agree. I think just about any other three-time pro bowler would be ****ing with every possible oppurtunity.

Lavar is the man. And, i think, he'll be playing a lot towards the end of the year. And, hell, if we suffer an injury on the defense, we've got the best backup in the league in arrington.

Archived