Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Viewers Skeptical Over Bush Speech

Thinking Skins

And the lesson is.... Don't live somewhere below sea level...

I quess the netherlands should pack up and leave, because the majority of the country is underwater...

It hasn't been a problem until a couple of weeks ago, and you have to admit, a cat 5 hurricane isn't likely to hit there again soon.

That gives them time not only to rebuild, but get some Dutch assistance on the dikes and levees. (They've got more than just a city below sea level.)

I agree with talon we should get some dutch assitance, these guys know what they are doing...not to mention it may look better that we are actually consoling with our allies.

-Grant

I quess the netherlands should pack up and leave, because the majority of the country is underwater...

I agree with talon we should get some dutch assitance, these guys know what they are doing...not to mention it may look better that we are actually consoling with our allies.

-Grant

Ummm, the Dutch don't have to worry about hurricanes. I'll put my money on OUR engineers, we dont need their help, we can fix the problem ourselves. It's not that difficult, especially considering you have the GDP of Finland to work with.

Chom, if we'd have had that same attitude during WWII, the Germans would have won.

We'd be stupid not to take advantage of expertise offered to us, even if it has to be adapted a bit. Besides, the North Sea can get pretty nasty.

(edit) Well, the Germans probably wouldn't have won, come to think of it, but the war against Japan would have lasted a lot longer. Germans significantly advanced our A-bomb development, and if I remember correctly they helped us with our rocket development as well.

Chom, if we'd have had that same attitude during WWII, the Germans would have won.

We'd be stupid not to take advantage of expertise offered to us, even if it has to be adapted a bit. Besides, the North Sea can get pretty nasty.

While I agree we should see if they have anything to offer, NO has a number of different challenges than the Netherlands.

The canals crossing thru the city are a obvious weak spot.

It is hard enough keeping the river and lake out without running canals THRU the city.

Are you kidding me? You think that the engineers in the US can't tackle a "levee" problem? Do you know why they failed? Because the government doesn't care to prevent disastors like this. It's an economic problem, not a technological one.

We can build anything we want, but the moron politicians cost-benifit analysis thought that a 200% return on investment wasn't a good thing. We can fix it, we will fix it, and they will be funded, it is just too freakin late.

(edit) Well, the Germans probably wouldn't have won, come to think of it, but the war against Japan would have lasted a lot longer. Germans significantly advanced our A-bomb development, and if I remember correctly they helped us with our rocket development as well.

That's not what I am talking about, we analyze how they manage their levee system, that is a given. It would be stupid not to do so. But, we will not be contracting out forign countries to fix our f'k up.

I don't know why you're assuming that taking advantage of their expertise equates to contracting out all the work to foreign companies. That's certainly not what I meant, and I don't think that was ever intended by anybody. We can consult with Dutch engineers without turning over the entire job over to Dutch companies.

No, we'll be throwing no-bid cash at companies who're headquartered in the Cayman Islands. (Who, at least, do have hurricanes, although I'd bet they rarely affect PO boxes.)

:)

Would you prefer to wait on emergency repairs untill it goes thru a bidding process?

I don't know why you're assuming that taking advantage of their expertise equates to contracting out all the work to foreign companies. That's certainly not what I meant, and I don't think that was ever intended by anybody. We can consult with Dutch engineers without turning over the entire job over to Dutch companies.

When I replied to grant, I was talking about OUR engineers, and you replied me. That's how I came to the assumption.

With that being said, I do agree with you, we will consult with them, and get advice, but we wont allow them to do the engineering, we will.

Wooo Hooo- lets issue more Fed T-Bills that the communist China can buy. Yeah ! Thats so much safer for our sovernity than rasing taxes (sarcasm)

I don't understand your comment.

If you believe that deficit spending is a good idea, can you tell me why? If you don't, :cheers: neither do I.

I don't understand your comment.

If you believe that deficit spending is a good idea, can you tell me why? If you don't, :cheers: neither do I.

Do you know how we fund deficit spending?

government deficit leads to increased government debt (often confusingly called the "national debt" or the "public debt"). In the U.S., the government borrows by selling bonds (T-bills, etc.) rather than getting loans from banks. The most important burden of this debt is the interest that must be paid to bond-holders, which restricts a government's ability to raise its outlays or cut taxes to attain other goals. Further, most of the government debt is owned by rich people, so that a rising debt can raise the demand for the funds supplied by the rich, encouraging income inequality.

Recently the counry of China has been buying more and more bonds ergo we are relying on foreign help which would potentially lead to answering more to China than the american people. We as a people should sack up and take care of our own with higher taxes

Do you know how we fund deficit spending?

government deficit leads to increased government debt (often confusingly called the "national debt" or the "public debt"). In the U.S., the government borrows by selling bonds (T-bills, etc.) rather than getting loans from banks. The most important burden of this debt is the interest that must be paid to bond-holders, which restricts a government's ability to raise its outlays or cut taxes to attain other goals. Further, most of the government debt is owned by rich people, so that a rising debt can raise the demand for the funds supplied by the rich, encouraging income inequality.

Recently the counry of China has been buying more and more bonds ergo we are relying on foreign help which would potentially lead to answering more to China than the american people. We as a people should sack up and take care of our own with higher taxes

Thanks, I understand the post now. We're on the same page.

It hasn't been a problem until a couple of weeks ago, and you have to admit, a cat 5 hurricane isn't likely to hit there again soon.

That gives them time not only to rebuild, but get some Dutch assistance on the dikes and levees. (They've got more than just a city below sea level.)

I hope your right about the city being spared another. I had plans to go to a convention in Feb '06 during Marti gras.

Archived