Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: Scout's view on skins

mhd24

" Patrick Ramsey is a tough kid because he's taken so many hits over the years, but he's really only a serviceable quarterback...Clinton Portis has a ton of talent--he has a great burst--but he needs to get more focused again. He took on a rock-star persona after he got that big contract last season....They don't gain much by adding Santana Moss. He might be the best short guy in the league when you're talking about players who scare you with their explosiveness, but it's tough to find small receivers in traffic. After him, they really don't have anybody at that position who impresses me...Their line should be solid. Having Jon Jansen back at right tackle will help because he's an excellent run blocker and the guy who sets the tone on that unit...Lavar Arrington is one of the 10 best athletes in the league, but he doesn't have a great feel for how offense are trying to attack him. Plus, he freelances too much...Cornelious Griffin is the only guy on their defensive line who will create problems for opponents. He can be disruptive with his quickness and his ability to shoot gaps."

Is this "scout" employed by a NFL team or is this guy employed by SI?

Because if it's the latter, I don't give a damn what his opinion is. If he knows anything, he'd be employed by someone in the NFL instead of working for a past it's prime magazine.

Now, if he works for an NFL club, riddle me this, what did these know-it-alls say last year when we signed Griffin? I bet it wasn't too complimentary.

Good news, we're now inside of one week when the Redskins can start making these people eat their words.......or make them look like prophets. :(

" Patrick Ramsey is a tough kid because he's taken so many hits over the years, but he's really only a serviceable quarterback...Clinton Portis has a ton of talent--he has a great burst--but he needs to get more focused again. He took on a rock-star persona after he got that big contract last season....They don't gain much by adding Santana Moss. He might be the best short guy in the league when you're talking about players who scare you with their explosiveness, but it's tough to find small receivers in traffic. After him, they really don't have anybody at that position who impresses me...Their line should be solid. Having Jon Jansen back at right tackle will help because he's an excellent run blocker and the guy who sets the tone on that unit...Lavar Arrington is one of the 10 best athletes in the league, but he doesn't have a great feel for how offense are trying to attack him. Plus, he freelances too much...Cornelious Griffin is the only guy on their defensive line who will create problems for opponents. He can be disruptive with his quickness and his ability to shoot gaps."

Pretty much the same drivel we've been hearing all off-season. It's funny how they measure a team.. by certain key players rather than the whole of all the individual parts. I've began to view our team this year as a unit, which is credit to what Gibbs is trying to do here. We've had the individual fire power in the past and it only got us so far. Here's to the Redskins fighting it out in every game this year, and all these experts who will have to eat some words. :cheers:

I dunno guys, I dont see what he is saying as being way off base here. Without a prediction for Wins and Losses, what he says is pretty true, but there are more then 5 people on the starting lineups. No mention of Taylor, no mention of how good the D is as a whole waether or not Griffin is the only serious D-line threat.

I think what this dude says is true, and I think that we still have a shot at the playoffs. The only thing i dont agree with is that our WRs arent good enough. Yea short guys are hard to find in traffic, but they are easy to see wide open streaking down the sideline, or on out patterns to the sideline which is what our passing game looks like.

If anyone watched the preseason they saw Marcus W in on every tackle with the starters....in the last game Lavar was in on every tackle when he played and wasn't a down lineman rushing the passer only.....when they both start and lavar isn't rushing the passer only...both those guys will be flying everywhere ala ray lewis and making plays

Psst this guy is the exact same height and had a better preseason...

David Patten WAS 8 157 19.6 0 46

They don't gain much by adding Santana Moss. He might be the best short guy in the league when you're talking about players who scare you with their explosiveness, but it's tough to find small receivers in traffic. After him, they really don't have anybody at that position who impresses me

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story though...

except he won't freelance and be undisciplined in THIS system or he will sit :)

that is the one major difference from the Gibbs/Williams administration than what LaVar has seen from others in the past.

The inmates are no longer in control of the asylum.

What you will see is a player that is much more willing to fit in and be productive within the scheme that is being run.

That is maturity. People discount that players do in fact learn and grow over time.

With #56 it has been more difficult for him to gain that humility and sense of being as people have been overhyping him and treating him as if he has already arrived as a star.

Gregg Williams has not made that mistake. He has treated Arrington as one of the players on the defense.

Even though it may bruise Arrington's ego a bit, I bet under the surface #56 respects him more for it :)

take this article point by point and tell me based on what has been done on the field, what part of this article is incorrect?

You guys amaze me when you get upset with this type of talk. Its accurate in and of itself. Does it omit some positives of our club... yes! Does it say anything that is off base about Ramsey, Portis, Arrington, Jansen, and Griffin... you tell me what part of any of the above statements is incorrect about those aforementioned players? I know this place has become a slurp the Joe Gibbs kool aid site since the merger but damn folks, do you have any substanive proof to debunk the article above?!? Anyone... anyone...

Jon

Griff the only one to create problems??? Taylor, Washington, Griff, Springs, LaVar, Daniels all create problems when healthy but it's the man on the sidelines directing that creates the problems. This character for ESPN needs to watch the 2nd Eagles game from 04 and ask himself who was hunting who? And who was creating problems. Our offensive created problems for themselves as usual, but Sean Taylor and company were creating Donovan and his buddy TO's problems.

Griff the only one to create problems??? Taylor, Washington, Griff, Springs, LaVar, Daniels all create problems when healthy but it's the man on the sidelines directing that creates the problems. This character for ESPN needs to watch the 2nd Eagles game from 04 and ask himself who was hunting who? And who was creating problems. Our offensive created problems for themselves as usual, but Sean Taylor and company were creating Donovan and his buddy TO's problems.

Daniels hasn't created problems when healthy.

The rest of those guys don't play DL.

Read before posting.

I dunno guys, I dont see what he is saying as being way off base here. Without a prediction for Wins and Losses, what he says is pretty true, but there are more then 5 people on the starting lineups. No mention of Taylor, no mention of how good the D is as a whole waether or not Griffin is the only serious D-line threat.

I think what this dude says is true, and I think that we still have a shot at the playoffs. The only thing i dont agree with is that our WRs arent good enough. Yea short guys are hard to find in traffic, but they are easy to see wide open streaking down the sideline, or on out patterns to the sideline which is what our passing game looks like.

yeep

except he won't freelance and be undisciplined in THIS system or he will sit :)

that is the one major difference from the Gibbs/Williams administration than what LaVar has seen from others in the past.

The inmates are no longer in control of the asylum.

What you will see is a player that is much more willing to fit in and be productive within the scheme that is being run.

That is maturity. People discount that players do in fact learn and grow over time.

With #56 it has been more difficult for him to gain that humility and sense of being as people have been overhyping him and treating him as if he has already arrived as a star.

Gregg Williams has not made that mistake. He has treated Arrington as one of the players on the defense.

Even though it may bruise Arrington's ego a bit, I bet under the surface #56 respects him more for it :)

agreed. LaVar will spend the first 1-3 games getting into game shape and learning his role. He doesnt need to freelance to be effective with this D because the big play is build into the D scheme.

My biggest question about LaVar is when will he be taught or learn to be effective when he is a down lineman. I dont think he does that well, he is a better blitz man coming from the LB possition shooting the gap.

I wish we would get Mann and/or Manley to work with him on the D lineman stuff. He has great talent but poor techique when rsuhing as a down lineman.

" Patrick Ramsey is a tough kid because he's taken so many hits over the years, but he's really only a serviceable quarterback Clinton Portis has a ton of talent--he has a great burst--...but he needs to get more focused again. He took on a rock-star persona after he got that big contract last season....They don't gain much by adding Santana Moss. He might be the best short guy in the league when you're talking about players who scare you with their explosiveness, but it's tough to find small receivers in traffic. After him, they really don't have anybody at that position who impresses me...Their line should be solid. Having Jon Jansen back at right tackle will help because he's an excellent run blocker and the guy who sets the tone on that unit...Lavar Arrington is one of the 10 best athletes in the league, but he doesn't have a great feel for how offense are trying to attack him. Plus, he freelances too much...Cornelious Griffin is the only guy on their defensive line who will create problems for opponents. He can be disruptive with his quickness and his ability to shoot gaps."

take this article point by point and tell me based on what has been done on the field, what part of this article is incorrect?

You guys amaze me when you get upset with this type of talk. Its accurate in and of itself. Does it omit some positives of our club... yes! Does it say anything that is off base about Ramsey, Portis, Arrington, Jansen, and Griffin... you tell me what part of any of the above statements is incorrect about those aforementioned players? I know this place has become a slurp the Joe Gibbs kool aid site since the merger but damn folks, do you have any substanive proof to debunk the article above?!? Anyone... anyone...

Jon

Check color quote above - pure speculation

"Santana Moss. He might be the best short guy in the league...who scare you with their explosiveness...Lavar Arrington is one of the 10 best athletes in the league" - Now how's that for spin? ;)

--kool aid-- if you're referring to the Jim Jones incident, it was Flavor Aid. I mean Kool Aid is all right :koolaid: but Flavor Aid is just plain nasty. :D

Archived