Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there a rivalry?

Spaceman Spiff

With the next game against Baltimore, I've been wondering if there's a rivalry between us and the city of Baltimore. I don't think there's much of one as people want to make it to be.

Our football teams aren't in the same conference, we don't play them twice a year like we do with philly and dallas. Baseball teams are in different leagues and will meet every few years in interleague play. There's that whole Angelos thing but thats issues with an owner, not with a team. And thats another topic for another thread in the tailgate. :)

I think people want there to be a rivalry because when you think about it, that's all thats really missing from this team. We have the superbowls, the history, the great moments, players, owners, the rivalry with Dallas which is one of the best rivalries in all of sport...but we don't have a local rival.

I know I'll probably get slammed for saying this, but whatever, I don't see much of a rivalry with Baltimore. It's not like they've screwed us over or anything or we've done it to them. It's another city, 45 mins up the road with baseball and football teams in different leagues. Big deal. I think fans just like to play something up that really isn't there.

yah i think baltimore thinks it is a rivalry, o well, they sorta have a mini rivalry brewing with Pittsburg

I like how we will play them in a scrimmage next year, hopefully it is a yearly thing signaling the start of football. That could turn this into a scrimmage rivalry? but a real rivalry--no

Think about it this way, Baltimore and all of Maryland used to be skins country, then when they decided to build a team for baltimore, half the people jumped ship to go to baltimore's side, the others stayed with the skins.

Two different types of fans in the same area will cause a small rivalry. Its not the same as the rivalry within our division, it is a rivalry with Maryland fans for braging rights, to the players, there isn't a real rivaly there like there is within the division.

It's a one-sided rivalry.

For some reason Raven fans need to measure their team and by extension themselves against their "big brothers" to the south. It's really kind of sad if you think about it.

In the last 5 years:

Redskins 0 playoffs

Ravens 3 playoff appearences and 1 World Title

Yet they still have their inferiority complex about the Redskins and the DC metro area in general.

For that reason, I'd enjoy listening to them freak out and panic and get all defensive if the Skins rip them up like they did the Steelers.

Think about it this way, Baltimore and all of Maryland used to be skins country, then when they decided to build a team for baltimore, half the people jumped ship to go to baltimore's side, the others stayed with the skins.

Two different types of fans in the same area will cause a small rivalry. Its not the same as the rivalry within our division, it is a rivalry with Maryland fans for braging rights, to the players, there isn't a real rivaly there like there is within the division.

disagree! Colts fans never became Redskins fans, they despise the Redskins. On the other hand most skins fans don't care about Baltimore. Most Baltimorons have DC envy!!!!! I really didn't think twice about the Ravens until I went to the skins/ravens game in 2000 (10-3 skins win!!) and had to put up with all of the obnoxious Ravens fans! From that day on the Ravens and Cowboys are on par for the teams I hate the most!!!!!!!!! Why is it the Ravens are always featured on CBS in DC, but you will never catch the Skins on in Baltimore. HMMMMMMMM?

The Baltimore "RAVENS" fans , notice the Caps , are the fans that think and hate the Redskins. there are fans of the Ravens that i know that could care less about a Rivialry and actually hope the Redskins do well. the vast majority of Ravens fans that want a rivialry and hate on the Redskins are the ones that blame JKC and the NFL for Baltimore taking 10+ yrs to get a football team back in their city after their own failure to support their own team at the time the (Colts) . so much so that they still cry and whine about how the NFL and Paul Taglibue still have it out for them and their city. it's something that will always be with Ravens fans :doh:

the original poster actually asked a question that has to answers :D

for Baltimore fans YES

for Redskin fans No

oh and one more thing :ravensuck :D :laugh:

disagree! Colts fans never became Redskins fans, they despise the Redskins. On the other hand most skins fans don't care about Baltimore. Most Baltimorons have DC envy!!!!! I really didn't think twice about the Ravens until I went to the skins/ravens game in 2000 (10-3 skins win!!) and had to put up with all of the obnoxious Ravens fans! From that day on the Ravens and Cowboys are on par for the teams I hate the most!!!!!!!!! Why is it the Ravens are always featured on CBS in DC, but you will never catch the Skins on in Baltimore. HMMMMMMMM?

You pretty much nailed it. I hate Bmore with a passion but not many Redskins fans probably do....I think they hate us much more than we hate them.

I never really cared one way or another until they won that SB 5 years ago.....that just lit some fire toward them of pure hatred....maybe its the bandwagon jumpers who then became ratbird fans or maybe its all the Ray lewis hype or maybe its the pink jerseys....probably all the above.

3 years ago at the preseason game when we waxed them 24-3 I threw up in my mouth a few times having to look at all the violet colored jerseys roaming around.........

Thats ok though cuz they are gonna get their fill of Burgundy jerseys running around at the chicken coop that is ratbird stadium on Thursday.

I've been an Orioles and Redskins fan all my life, and my feelings about the Ravens are the same as my feelings about the Nats...I hope they win (when we're not playing them, of course), but I don't follow them.

So for me, obviously, there isn't much of a rivalry. Maybe I'd feel differently if all four teams had been around for my entire life...

I think that the ravens fans should just shut up! How can the sit there and complain that they haven't had football for ten years. Not DC's fault that they basically jumped ship when the colts sucked and then colts jumped ship when they bailed out on them. If they want a rivalry in something, lets talk about baseball. How about I am 31 right now and until this year I have never known Washington Baseball until this year? So they didn't have football for 10 years WAH WAH WAH! Cry me a river. We didn't have baseball for over 31+ plus years here so I don't want to hear it. Out only true rivalry is Dallas and everything else is secondary. I hope that rivalry improves because I am pretty damn tired of losing.

I don't think it's a rivarly per se.....we don't like each other very much.

The Ravens still aren't over Baltimore not having a team after the Colts left and blame former Skins owner JKC (somehow they blame snyder as well?) for that despite the fact it was then Browns owner Art Modell (name sound familiar?) who put a big stop to Baltimore getting a team (until he could hijack his franchise out of Cleveland). CSN plays the Ravens games in my location over Redskins games and that iritates me to no end.

I personally don't like the Ravens very much.....I don't like many of their Philly-lite fans and the fact that they shove it in everybodys face that they have 1 SB trophy. I think the Ray Lewis pre-game intro. is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It takes away from the efforts of the team and just focuses on Ray. Heck, Odgen, J. Lewis and Ed Reed would all deserve their own theme music as well

I think the Ray Lewis pre-game intro. is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It takes away from the efforts of the team and just focuses on Ray. Heck, Odgen, J. Lewis and Ed Reed would all deserve their own theme music as well

I was agreeing with your post up until this point. I LOVE the Ray Lewis intro, and I wish the 'Skins had a counterpart. I was there just a few weeks ago, and that stadium goes nuts. I don't know who we would focus on, though; maybe LaVar, maybe Sean Taylor in a couple years.

I also disagree that those other players deserve what Ray deserves...he's been the face of football in Baltimore since the beginning, is clearly the emotional leader of that team, and just so happens to be one of the best LBs to ever play the game. Not to mention the fact that he both revels and excels in playing to and pumping up the crowd, whereas those other guys would prefer to stay in the background until the game starts.

I dont think that there is a rivalry just yet? I think that it is to early, but its definately gonna happen guys! How long has the Baltimore Ravens been around anyways? Didnt they become the Ravens after the Browns left Cleveland the first time around? Anyways about..this rivalry thing it would be nice to see the Ravens and the :helmet: play in the Superbowl, watcha think about that? First step destination Baltimore for the preseason game lets take care of this game then go 1 game @ a time! :ravensuck !

ralph.gif

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/album.php

Archived