Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why gibbs wants to" Air it out"

skinpride1

I have been putting alot of thought into why Gibbs has been calling so many pass plays in the preseason.I know the first reason is because of the lack of points scored last season and no deep play threat at all.I have also found myself going back to the days when the skins ruled and won super bowls and throwing in the air was a big part of it.

I guess that I started to put some things together.I must admit that after the Bengals game it seemed like Ramsey was called upon to throw three big plays of 46,33,30 yards to Patten in the first half. Ramsey made some bad throws.

I think Gibbs wants to put that big time pressure on Ramsey to simulate a play-off game.Gibbs knows that Ramsey can hit the short yardage plays. The run game can be awesome for ball control and Gibbs is all about clock management and there comes a time when you need other weapons beside this. Any one that doesn't think the deep pass is important, should think again.I know alot of people support Gibbs and ball control and seem to want to put the deep play aside.I think the deep play and the ball control come hand in hand.Yes- Gibbs will use the ball control tatics to win some games for us and hopefully on to the playoffs.I think another scheme of Gibbs is to come out and lay the knock out punch in the first half and then use that" ball control" to protect that lead.

Getting down the field and scoring points is a big part of it.The playoffs is all about, out playing your opponent.Doug willams and Mark Rippen used those big gun arms to help us win our last two super bowls and we need that big gun arm of the q.b. again.I think that Gibbs will endeed "Air that ball out this year" :helmet:

I have been putting alot of thought into why gibbs has been calling so many pass plays in the preseason.

I know the first reason is because of the lack of points scored last season and no deep play threat at all.

I have also found myself going back to the days when the skins ruled and won super bowls and throwing threw the air was a big part of it.

I guess that I started to put the two things together.

I must admit that after the Bengals game it seemed like alot was called upon on a q.b. throwing for three big plays of 46,33,30 yards to one reciever in a half and also resulted in some bad throws buy our q.b.

I think Gibbs wants to put that big time pressure on Ramsey to simulate a play-off game.Gibbs knows that Ramsey can hit the short yardage plays and the run game, can be awesome for ball control and Gibbs is all about clock management, but there comes a time when you need other weapons beside this. I think the next opponent(steelers)is a good example of this.

The patroits came out and set the tempo for last years super bowl win with a big deep pass play against them and the steelers defense was ranked number one in the NFL.

Any one that doesn't think the deep pass is important, should think again.

I know alot of people support Gibbs and ball control and seem to want to put the deep play aside.

I think the deep play and the ball control come hand in hand.

Yes- Gibbs will use the ball control tatics to win some games for us and hopefully on to the playoffs.

I think another scheme of Gibbs is to come out and lay the knock out punch in the first half and then use that" ball control" to protect that lead.

Getting down the field and scoring points is a big part of it.The playoffs is all about, out playing your opponent.

Doug willams and Mark Rippen used those big gun arms to help us win our last two super bowls and we need that big gun arm of Ramsey again.

I think that Gibbs will endeed "Air that ball out this year" :helmet:

Spellcheck and 8th grade english class would be helpful.

i agree. i never thought the pathetic, win ugly offense of last year represented what gibbs was about. i found myself really scratching my head when members were dreaming of power runs and more power runs and 7-3 wins. the gibbs i remember was running to keep the defense honest and to set them up for big passing plays. it sorta reminds me of the vikings current offense. the vikings are consistantly one of the best rushing teams in the league, but they beat and scare you by throwing the ball.

buddy, that '91 offense with the 3 1,000 yard recievers was what i was looking for all of last year and did not find it. All the analyst forgot about that. Monk, Clark, and Sanders all had big years and Earnest ran for 1,000+. So, i hope that this year we can do the same thing.

i agree. i never thought the pathetic, win ugly offense of last year represented what gibbs was about. i found myself really scratching my head when members were dreaming of power runs and more power runs and 7-3 wins. the gibbs i remember was running to keep the defense honest and to set them up for big passing plays. it sorta reminds me of the vikings current offense. the vikings are consistantly one of the best rushing teams in the league, but they beat and scare you by throwing the ball.

Nice to see someone that understands what I'm trying to say.I guess that maybe i don't have the time for the spell checks and I did not think it was big enough post to really worry about all the proper stuff but it seems some people just want to shoot you down the first chance they get.I think the deep pass play is very important!!!!

Gibbs is in the Hall of Fame because, frankly, he's smarter than 99.9% of us about football.

Gibbs will "Air It Out" when he sees it's advantageous to do so.

People think of Gibbs as a "Ball Control" coach, but he didn't start that way. He was a disciple of Don "Air" Coryell, coaching with him 3 times before beginning with the Redskins. His last stint with Coryell as the Offensive Coordinator in San Diego produced a record-setting year for Dan Fouts.

What made Gibbs truly great, however, was his ability to change and adapt. He was 0-5 in Washington. Seeing that he had a great back in Riggins and a huge OL (for the time), he went against his pass-happy nature and designed a run-heavy one-back offense.

Later, when Gibbs had a stable of great receivers, hebrought back the Air Coryell offense selectively, while borrowing from any other coach whose techniques could give him an edge.

It is this flexibility that makes Gibbs a champion. It is this flexibility that led him to hire a West Coast QB coach and institute the shotgun this year.

I trust in Gibbs' judgement. The Burgundy and Gold Bombs will start falling soon enough. :)

Saying something of significance would be helpful

You dont think what I posted was helpful for him/her or the rest of the members of the board ? I beg to differ.

I wasnt trying to slam the new guy, it was just hard on the eyes.

I was hoping that he/she would fix it and then my plan was to edit my post.

Anyway,

I think the long ball was there last season, it just wasnt normally executed.

Blame the QB, Blame the WR, Blame the OL. Either way it wasnt a big part of the game.

I think that Gibbs & Co. realize that the QBs and WRs need to develop timing.

I also believe that it is very obvious that the Redskins will have a much better year offensively, no matter who is behind center. The amount of work put into the passing game shows this. As long as the QB plays like he should the Redskins will be successful offensively.

BTW - skinpride1 - :cheers:

Gibbs will succeed.

He knows how to adapt to the players he has, as well as how to find "REDSKINS"

Portis will have an even better year than last year. We're going to be using more zone blocking and less power running, in addition to using Betts more often.

And, from what I have seen so far, Patten, Moss, and Brown are easily going to make up for the loss of Coles and Gardener. I see why Brady might appear good: Patten is sweet.

Forever an optimistic Skins fanatic and cowboy hater,

pumped up in the baltimore burbs

I think the orriginal poster is correct in reasons Gibbs is willing to air it out now is because these games don't mean anything NOW is the time to fine tune aspects of the game take the risks find what works and what doesnt .

Too many fans and reporters look too hard to find things of in the preseason form and indeed too many coaches are willing to risk more and more to win these meaningless contests .

If you can't get the jist of what he's saying maybe you need to go back to school.. His grammar isn't as bad as some others I've seen around here..

Anyway as far as the original post.. I agree for the most part. Gibbs doesn't want 8 men stacked in the box against portis. In turn the deep ball will get us more yards in chunks and the defenses must respect our speed.

Really? Maybe you should take up a 3rd grade Manners class....oh and its English not english.

Anyway Gibbs INMO is setting up the opposition for failure. We will see some Don Coryell stuff this year. :logo:

I think we’ve been seeing a lot of passing plays in the pre-season because that’s exactly where this team has the most question marks.

We know the Portis is going to be ok if healthy. We also know that Betts is going to be our #2. What we don’t know is how quickly our QB and our new wide receivers will be able to get on the same page.

Gibbs strives for balance. If the defense has to respect the run AND the pass they’ll be hard pressed to stop either for long. The Vikings example is perfect. What do you try to stop?

Last year most team knew we could run the ball effectively so they stacked more men in the box and tried to take that away from us. If we can make teams pay when they stack up like that they’ll be less likely to do it again and the running game gets better. When they do stack the line we can check off and burn them. If that happens enough you make the defense react to you rather than trying to react to them. That’s the whole key to a good offense.

During Gibbs' hayday in Washington, I can't tell you how many times the Skins threw a bomb on the first or second offensive play. They hit many of them. However, even if they didn't connect the defense was constantly on their heels waiting for the next one. Remember the Denver Superbowl and the first play of the second quarter?

Gibbs is allowing Ramsey to go downfield in these preseason games. I don't even think that Patrick's got a choice. I think Gibbs has installed the plays and told Ramsey throw everything you can downfield so that Patrick can get his rhythm with the receivers and get used to taking downfield shots. Its obvious that Patrick can throw the short routes (he had enough practice last year). You will see a more balanced attack during the season, but Gibbs will take shots early and often with the deep ball to keep the defense honest.

If we hit on 10% of the deep plays, they will translate into big games for Portis and points on the board.

The key to Gibbs' success is his ability to plan, strategize, and outsmart the opposition, and the key to this is the ability to hurt an opponent in many different ways. After last year became a crap shoot, Gibbs has built this offense around balance and variety. It all starts with the O-line and their ability to dominate up front. From that you get power running from Betts and Nemo (or Rock) and zone running from Portis. Being able to outsmart and outplay an opponent in the ground game opens up the play-action, a Gibbs favorite, and the ability to throw down the field comes back to strengthen the run game by forcing the defense to guard the entire field. So both sides of the offense (the ball control run and the downfield pass) contibute to eachother and strenghthen the offenses' potency. The foundation is set for what I desperately hope will be a great season.

:point2sky

Skinspride, I hear what your saying but I think it's much more simple than you point out. It's strictly a numbers game. Gibbs knows he can get it done on the ground; the question is what type of beatin' does he want Clinton Portis to take. Teams did not respect last year's passing game and stacked the box against CP. Teams will have to respect the running game regardless of their scheme or strengths as a defense because the Dirtbags and CP "get it done" on the ground. Throughout the season Gibbs saw 1-on-1 matchups on the outside consistently but couldn't get the type of separation needed for the Deep Ball to be utilized effectively. This season, teams will do the exact same thing until they are toasted by the long-ball, then they will make a choice based strictly on the numbers: That decision will be: "do we let CP beat us up-front, or do we take our chances with Patrick launching the "Big Ones" on us. In the past given the same choice, defenses chose to stop the run first, thus it was a free-for all in the air so Gibbs "let 'Er Rip" until the final whistle was blown. It's just that simple.

I agree with the long pass assesment.

There is something else I noticed that few here have talked about and that is the screen play.

I noticed several screen plays that were executed very well in the last game. Many of these plays were on blitzes with our line letting some pressure through.

I can not tell you how excited I am to see this, as the Redskins have really not excuted this play well for years.

We air it out to get a sense of rhythm with the receivers and wide outs. Aside from Brunell, none of our QBs have had extensive success throwing the ball deep. Also, we desperately need to figure out how to throw a deep out. Brunell has the accuracy and Ramsey has the arm. This play is crucial when you have small, but good route running wide outs, and are running a two minute drill. Look at the Pats last year... Patten was their go-to man in that situation and had been for a couple of years. From the highlights of Campbell in college, he may be the best option at running this play, and he really isn't an option.

Archived