Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why gibbs wants to" Air it out"

skinpride1

Gibbs is in the Hall of Fame because, frankly, he's smarter than 99.9% of us about football.

Gibbs will "Air It Out" when he sees it's advantageous to do so.

People think of Gibbs as a "Ball Control" coach, but he didn't start that way. He was a disciple of Don "Air" Coryell, coaching with him 3 times before beginning with the Redskins. His last stint with Coryell as the Offensive Coordinator in San Diego produced a record-setting year for Dan Fouts.

What made Gibbs truly great, however, was his ability to change and adapt. He was 0-5 in Washington. Seeing that he had a great back in Riggins and a huge OL (for the time), he went against his pass-happy nature and designed a run-heavy one-back offense.

Later, when Gibbs had a stable of great receivers, hebrought back the Air Coryell offense selectively, while borrowing from any other coach whose techniques could give him an edge.

It is this flexibility that makes Gibbs a champion. It is this flexibility that led him to hire a West Coast QB coach and institute the shotgun this year.

I trust in Gibbs' judgement. The Burgundy and Gold Bombs will start falling soon enough. :)

Wholeheartedly agree, except on one point, which was a real sticking point for me reading it:

Gibbs is smarter than 100% of us about football! :cheers:

Am I just a genius or do some of you just not pay attention?

The Redskins were great at plowing into the line last year. The Redskins were great at completing 4 yard passes. The Redskins had virtually no deep passing game and virtually no big plays throwing down field.

Fast forward to the offseasn,,,and Gibbs says the team is weak on big plays and getting the ball downfield.

Fast forward to this pre season. Gibbs is practicing throwing downfield because its the biggest weakness on the offense.

Man...talk about over analyzing and trying to figure out something so simple. I'm not tryiing to be mean or insulting, but you just don't need to look for the meaning of life in every play.

Am I just a genius or do some of you just not pay attention?

The Redskins were great at plowing into the line last year. The Redskins were great at completing 4 yard passes. The Redskins had virtually no deep passing game and virtually no big plays throwing down field.

Fast forward to the offseasn,,,and Gibbs says the team is weak on big plays and getting the ball downfield.

Fast forward to this pre season. Gibbs is practicing throwing downfield because its the biggest weakness on the offense.

Man...talk about over analyzing and trying to figure out something so simple. I'm not tryiing to be mean or insulting, but you just don't need to look for the meaning of life in every play.

I agree with you

The man is very methodical on what he wants to do, see, and execute.

Gibbs is getting this team ready for the season.

For all the media hype and for every pessimist around here come September,

and probably a little tonight they will be singing a whole different tune.

People look at the whole ball of wax, not just the piece that makes up Ramsey.

• 4 weeks later...
:cheers: I posted this in the pre- season and thought that gibbs and staff were working hard on the deep pass play!!!!I thought that I would get more response on the subject but I didn't.I know alot of people was expecting Ramsey to be the starter for the year but things change.I think Gibbs is showing already that we can and will get more wins.I was amazed by the speed of moss last night in Texas.Brunell came back to life in the fourth quarter.Great passes by Brunell.Anyway lets continue to "air the ball out" this year!!!

As an old Jags fan, one thing I noticed about Brunell was that he is a rhythm QB. When play calling is 1st down (run), 2nd down (run) and 3rd down (throw), he often struggled.

Did you notice last night when we started throwing a lot, he really got going.

The Jags used to toy with a no huddle occasionally. Brunell loved that.

So, I hope as Gibbs "adapts", he takes that into consideration. I'm not saying abandon the run, but throw in a heavy series of passing early to get Mark going.

Archived