Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Freak's Peek...Rogers was intentionally toasted, and other statements.

freakofthesouth

I don't want to be the worry wart in the group and I certainly hope I'm wrong, but Ramsey may not cut it...

I was at the game, and there was something lacking in his body language that left me with a sinking feeling.

He also tends to have an 'aiming' throw rather than a natural throwing motion.

He needs to roll his eyes in the back of his head like a lava lizard. Don't think, just throw..it's only best for the ball club:D

Breath of fresh air Freak. Good read. We'll have to toss one back and talk QB's again sometime. Like the last game it's interesting to see the comments from some the day after. MMQBing, ( Okay. So. To be technical, it's SMQBing. I know how some of you all are. ;) ), at it's finest is already in effect but it's good to see the difference a 12 period makes. And maybe a different point of view.

Like last game, I'm certain that what I heard and read at the time of the game and shortly after, will be different than what I see. It's becoming obvious Coach has a plan on what he wants to work on and see. Last week the WCO type of passing mixed in with some running and of course giving the new guys the hard eye. Freak's great observation about the T.O.P. and the deep stuff I think hits that point squarely on the head. I'm looking forward to seeing this one and then the next game as well to see what they may be up too. :)

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Breath of fresh air Freak. Good read. We'll have to toss one back and talk QB's again sometime. ..

...It's becoming obvious Coach has a plan on what he wants to work on and see. Last week the WCO type of passing mixed in with some running and of course giving the new guys the hard eye. Freak's great observation about the T.O.P. and the deep stuff I think hits that point squarely on the head. I'm looking forward to seeing this one and then the next game as well to see what they may be up too. :)

Right on PCS! Let's get up again this season, for sure.

Yeah, this last game is not how Joe Gibbs would really like to call it. He simply understands the deficeincies of our offense, and uses the power of the preseason as an effective tool to improve those offensive traits.

Plus, Ramsey completed quite a few deep passes, and Gibbs knows what that does for the confidence of an NFL quarterback. I would say the INTs were a setback, but Ramsey came back after both of them and continued to drive the length of the field, w/ a fresh confidence still intact.

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

Plus, Ramsey completed quite a few deep passes, and Gibbs knows what that does for the confidence of an NFL quarterback.

Not to mention what it does to the game plans of the defensive coordinators for the opposition. It should be fun to watch what opens up. :cheers:

Regardless of whether or not Williams hung him out on purpose, it is obvious that he is not in football shape right now. Once he gets back into the swing of things and gets his legs back he may or may not get beat as badly again, but at least he won't look like he needs oxygen.

I did not think it was a good idea by Williams to do that. The most important aspect of a CB is confidence IMO. And doing that to a rookie CB in his first game in the NFL (a corner who has had documented confidence issues in the past) could backfire on him.

I did not think it was a good idea by Williams to do that. The most important aspect of a CB is confidence IMO. And doing that to a rookie CB in his first game in the NFL (a corner who has had documented confidence issues in the past) could backfire on him.

What documented confidence issues has CR ever had?

He was outstanding last year in the SEC, and made key plays in the Sugar Bowl

Confidence issues??

What documented confidence issues has CR ever had?

He was outstanding last year in the SEC, and made key plays in the Sugar Bowl

Confidence issues??

Read scouting reports on him. The word shows up on almost every single one i have read. Granted he turned it around his senior season, but he had an up and down college career.

My point was that i don't think it was wise to basically throw him under the bus like that.

My point was that i don't think it was wise to basically throw him under the bus like that.

Um, I do.

Regarding Rogers' abilities, he won the Jim Thorpe award last season. Clearly, these 'confidence' issues were not hindering him that much.

Besides, he needed to be put out there to develop a respect for how fast the NFL game is.

I don't necessarily see Friday's outing for him as a bad one; he made a gamebreaking play that set up the beginning of Patrick Ramsey's confidence. We also can't overlook the fact that he has missed most of training camp w/ his ankle injury, and that includes conditioning programs.

I'm sure he is not beating himself up too much. He'll continue to work and understand the game as his coaches deem fit, and will be a valuable addition for us this season.

This is the call to all of the true Redskin fans: DON’T BOO OUR QUARTERBACK. What he needs more than anything is support from all of us. We need to stand behind him, and be supportive. He needs more of the confidence that he found last night. He looked great, less those two throws. Take those throws away, and he is the player of the week, as far as I’m concerned. Mark Brunell is not going to be our starter. He may be looking solid, etc, but Ramsey is our QB. And that’s not our decision. We don’t see what really goes on, and what factors really affect Joe’s decision on this. As fans, we must SUPPORT this team. .
AMEN!!! :cheers:

Our offense had one goal- attack downfield. Patrick wasn’t coached last night to ‘look for the dump-off, or use play-action. He got the ball downfield. And w/ over 20 yds / catch, I’d say he did just that.

Here is the thing that bothers me about this statement. You are not coached to check off. You are coached to move the ball and know where each reciever will be. Mark Brunnell moved players around, he knew where his check offs were and he hit them. He didn't go down field because it wasn't open. From where I sit at Fed ex I can see the whole play develop. Ramsey's passes where good and bad. He has no consistancy, he doesn't build on momentum, instead he takes it away. If you watch the game again. watch the drive where Craig Krenzel drove the Bengals to a field goal. He was forced out of the pocket and without hesitation he put the ball in the stands. In that same scenario Ramsey throws two picks.

You also don't coach someone to use play action. It is part of the play call or it is not. It is setup by the threat of a running game and to hold the Safety. Ramsey is not good enough to be a big time winner in this league. Brunell has done it. Just face it, he is the better QB right now. Ramsey has one more chance. If he doesn't perform then we will be no better than we were last year.

One more point, the running game was clicking. It was firing on all cylinders leaving use with 2nd and 6, 2nd and 5. On the first two drives Ramsey could not get first downs. Please don't tell me that it was because of the play calls either. He looks at one reciever the whole Freaking time he has the ball in his hands. His release is low and it causes his balls to sail. That being said, if Ramsey doesn't get yanked I am encouraged by the success of Ladell Betts and CP should have a hell of a year. We may be able to run our way to 8 wins.

Carlos Rodgers was intentionally burnt and left on an island to allow him to understand the speed of the game. Greg Williams did it to Taylor last preseason, and he did it to Carlos last night. It was blatant. Check it out: Rodgers stays in to get some playing time w/ the second defense. 3 throws in a row, GW gives Rodgers the call to stay on an island, and don’t press cover. He had no help from the safety on any of these tosses. And it seems more than a little fishy to me that GW didn’t see that they were going to go there again. The whole stadium knew that TD pass was coming. He needed to keep himself in check after that INT, so his head stays w/ the team. Greg Williams would most likely never publicly admit that this was the case, but he always speaks about how the younger players need to understand the speed of the game, and what better way to understand it and respect it than have it turn you into toast. It’s brilliant, actually.

I can believe the zero coverage. That makes total sense. Put your player out there and see what he has.

However, I cannot believe it was some master plot by Williams to see how he handles adversity. You make it sound like he intentionally wanted him to flop just to see how he handles it. That is utterly ridiculous.

Great post, bro.

There were some bad plays, for sure. There were mistakes. Two bad interceptions. That kills us, and it will kill us in the future. But lapses in the fundamentals of the game, such as bad reads, penalties…these mistakes can be corrected. They are coachable.

I'd love to see Ramsey succeed, but have some serious reservations about his ability to consistenly play successfully. If you look at his QB rating over the course of his career, it's rare to see him put together a string of good/great games. More importantly, the last 6 or so games last year bounced between ratings in the 60s and 100s. Take a look at the stats for yourself. 60-100-60-100....while his average rating was o.k., his level of play was variable, week-to-week.

In any case, if these mistakes are coachable, why does he continue making them? Gibbs was reportedly livid after the game (according to an inside source at CPND...i.e., our version of Andyman). Momentum-collapsing mistakes happened last year (remember the Philly game?) and continue to occur. But to be fair to Ramsey, we need to see what he can do during a real game, with Portis at RB, the entire OL, and genuine gameplanning.

I'll support whomever is on our roster and won't boo anyone, but I think my reservations are warranted. And I still cringe when I imagine a game on the line with Ramsey at the helm. Decision-making in the redzone is not his forte. Yes, I know...the thought of Brunnell ain't comforting either.

BOLD STATEMENT: Carlos Rodgers was intentionally burnt and left on an island to allow him to understand the speed of the game.

Definitely. And what better way to show a rook the reality of his position than during a live game? Not only was he left on an island, he was completely gassed. After watching his post-game interview, I'm pleased to see him handle himself well and realize that he has a ways to go as far as technique and conditioning. Rogers is gonna be real, real valuable to us.

Oh...and I've gotta add one more thing...

Nemo is one tough SOB. He's got wheels, seems to naturally find a hole, and loves to hit defenders. Love this pick so far.

I heard it on WJFK late Friday night that Carlos had been sent on multiple corner blitzes previously in that drive, leaving him totally gassed for the back-to-back passes he was burned on. The radio guys were saying he was hurting the team by not asking to come out when he physically couldn't perform, when Charles Mann chimed in. He said, the coaches wouldn't take him out anyway, pointing out that his old line coach would pretend not to see him when he'd ask to come out. Mann said, "I never came out of a game. Carlos needs to find a way to get his wind back."

Great Post! I must also add my 2 cents in :)

I think that the booing can and probably does irk Patrick. I think the aweful beating he took under Spurrier is still fresh in his mind. I think it will take 3 to 4 more games where Ramsey will start to believe that he can relax and survey the field. He has the tools to be a great QB but it will take time to undo what Spurrier did to him. For the most part I look for a team to play better week after week. I think the skins are showing that. Also once we get the starting defense to play with all the starters together, Daniels, Arrington etc. I think we will be alot better. Also I see a fire in Rock's eyes I won't count him out yet. I know Nemo better carry the ball better! McCune also seems to be able to make plays I think he is better than Pierce from what I have seen. I hope all starters are ready for Friday and based upon Gibb's press conference the team is in for a HARD WEEKS WORK! GO SKINS!!!!! :point2sky

Archived