Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins fan predicts season

http://www.dcsportsfan.com/default.aspx?ArticleID=260

2005 Schedule Predictions for the Redskins

Vernon Hayfield

DCSportsFan.com 7/27/05

With the Redskins less than a week away from the beginning of training camp, it officially starts that time of year where fans make outlandish predictions on how their team will end up. While it’s too early to give in-depth predictions, it is realistic to look at these opponents and breakdown the timeliness and expectations of the match ups. You won’t see projections on how many yards Clinton Portis will run for or how many touchdown passes Patrick Ramsey will end up with. But here at DCSportsFan, we will take a modest look at the opponents the Redskins play and possible outcomes of those games.

Advertisement

CHICAGO BEARS

For the fourth consecutive year, we will face the Chicago Bears. I am not sure what the rationale is, but I do know that just after one o’clock on September 11th there will be 90,000 rabid fans who are sick and tired of waiting in the heat. There is no way the Bears can operate in this type of environment.

PREDICTION: Grossman is on his back more than Paris Hilton.

SKINS 27-10

@DALLAS COWBOYS

This game is two months away and I have already started tailgating. We’ve lost four consecutive games to Dallas, and we will hear about it from Al Michaels for the better part of the night. Well, the streak dies here. It will be a blood and guts game, but Roy Williams loses his crown as the top young safety in the NFC because Sean Taylor is going to have a ball game. I’m talking bone crushing hits, stripping Julius Jones on the goal line, and making sure that Keyshawn Johnson never asks for the ball again. This time the ending is different. .

PREDICTION: Sean Taylor pick-six to win it. I then buy the tape off his fingers on Ebay for $500.

SKINS 14-7

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

The Skins have dominated west coast teams when they come into FedEx. This soft Seahawks team is no different. With or without Shaun Alexander, the Skins give up minimal yardage and Ramsey has a breakout game.

PREDICTION: Seattle tries to sign Tim Hassleback at halftime because Matt Hassleback is too scared to go back in.

SKINS 24-10

@DENVER BRONCOS

Right now Clinton Portis is doing deadlifts in his basement thinking about Mike Shanahan calling him expendable. Just to show Shanahan how expendable he is, Portis breaks out the championship belt he wore after a big game in Denver.

PREDICTION: Portis goes for 270 and 6 TD’s and puts the belt on Coach Gibbs after the game.

SKINS 49- 17 ( I couldn’t help myself on this one)

@KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Somebody thought it would be nice to test the Skins on back-to-back AFC West road games. It proves to be deadly. The Chiefs have what many consider the best home field advantage in the AFC, not to mention a high-powered offense. Two consecutive road games west of the Mississippi can never be good. In the battle of Native American monikers, the Chiefs get the best of the Skins.

PREDICTION: Dante Hall gets us on special teams.

CHIEFS 13-7

SAN FRANCISCO 49ers

I hope everyone remembers last year when Sean Taylor walked off the field while spitting blood all over himself like a gladiator returning from battle. Remember Lavar showing up in a throwback facemask? Well, its round two and the Skins pack the punch.

PREDICTION: Taylor Jacobs goes off on a suspect secondary for 130 yards and two TD’s.

SKINS 31-6

@NEW YORK GIANTS

Last year’s game in the Meadowlands was what I would picture it being like if you fell through a frozen pond and were drowning. You could see how close you were to air, but you just could never break through the ice. The Giants did absolutely nothing to win that game besides actually showing up. It will be the first of many meetings between us and Antonio Pierce. This time we get the best of them.

PREDCITION: G’men can’t get a thing on our defense and we beat them in field position.

SKINS 17-13

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Here’s a joke you can use that night: What’s the difference between Donovan McNabb and a $1 bill? At least you can get four quarters from that $1 bill! We need to start protecting our house? I’m sick of those cheesesteak-eating thugs from Philly driving their family truck to Fed Ex and acting like they own the place. It’s Sunday night football, which means we’ll be hit by the curse.

PREDICTION: The Sean Taylor/Shawn Springs on T.O. match up is once again successful, but Westbrook gets loose.

IGGLES 24-20

@TAMPA BAY BUCANEERS

Going down to Florida usually brings out the vacation in people. Not the Redskins. They’re all business. Between all of the Florida guys on the team, an entire Pirate ship shows up filled with Redskin supporters. Still, Tampa is a much improved team and uses its home field heat to pull off the victory.

PREDICTION: Our offense turns the ball over at key moments.

BUCS 21-10

OAKLAND RAIDERS

Moss is back. Jerry Porter comes home to D.C. Lamont Jordan comes home to Maryland. Nervous Norv Turner gets his homecoming. But they forget that one of Joe Gibbs’ least favorite teams is the Oakland Raiders. He still has flashbacks of what would have been his 4th Super Bowl victory and his blood boils. In this one coaching prevails.

PREDICTION: Gibbs uses trickery to bring the Skins from behind and the home unbeaten streak continues.

SKINS 17-16

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

The Chargers are the team that spawned coach Joe Gibbs, and they are also the team that breaks his home winning streak. The Skins are solid against the run, but you can only bottle up LaDanian Tomlinson for so long. LT beats the Skins on a pass play late in the game.

PREDICTION: The Chargers control the clock and protect the football.

CHARGERS 20-10.

@ST. LOUIS RAMS

No longer the fastest show on turf, they work to revamp their defense. The Skins are fighting for their division, but St.Louis is too much in the dome. Field goals decide this one.

PREDICTION: Wilkins kicks big FG’s to win.

RAMS 12-6

@ARIZONA CARDINALS

Dennis Green has the Cards fighting for the playoffs and the Skins have lost two straight. The Cardinals get good production from their young receivers, but they have no answer for Portis left and Portis right. Portis reminds the Cards who’s the boss and carries the Skins struggling offense on his back.

PREDICTION: The Skins feed CP on his way to 150 yards.

SKINS 24-13

DALLAS COWBOYS

This begins the final stretch for not only the playoffs, but also the division. The final three games are against the NFC East rivals starting with Dallas. Parcells is smug as ever in his press conferences and knows that the Skins have had some offensive struggles. But after week two, and with all the marbles at stake, the Skins refuse to bow down just like they refused back in 1983 at RFK. The decibel levels at FedEX reach an all-time high and Bledsoe can’t hear himself think. The Skins defense shuts down everything the Cowboys have for the first sweep in years.

PREDICTION: The Skins defense only allows 120 total yards.

SKINS 14-3

@NEW YORK GIANTS

EEEEEE-LIE EEEEEEE-LIE! The Giants will be much improved since the last game and have some offensive weapons in use now that Eli Manning is getting more experience. The Skins jump out early, but Eli gets his first taste of victory when Skins go down in the usual Skins/Giants season split.

PREDICTION: Eli still ugly as ever, but he is able to get Tiki going on short passes.

GMEN 21-13

@PHILADELPHI EAGLES

The football gods are smiling down on this one. The build-up is epic. The Skins vs. Eagles for a shot at the division crown. If the Skins win, there’s a changing of the guards. There hasn’t been this many big hits in a Skins/Philly game since the “Body Bag” game. The Skins are not intimidated and Pat Ramsey plays like the franchise QB that he is, redeeming himself for past shortcomings against the Iggles. The Skins go up late and the great Philly fans turn on Donavan and the team. In Philly’s house, the Washington Redskins celebrate their first division title since 1997.

PREDICTION: In a dogfight, Ramsey hits Cooley for a go ahead TD.

SKINS 27-20

Washington Redskins: 10-6, NFC East Champs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there it is. The gospel on the 2005 season. The Skins not only have their first winning record since ’97, but they take the division as well. This team is built to win. They have a great defense to keep them in games, a healthy offensive line, a 1300-yard superback, a gunslinger QB, and the coaching staff with all the rust shaken off. Why not us? Teams have had out of nowhere success based on the same formula. We will get it done this year. You can take that to the bank.

Yeah, I find that highly unlikely. I could see it getting us in the playoffs, but Philly is still the team to beat in the division. The Denver game seems very homerish. That's one game that I can't really make out, I mean, the Broncos, much like the Seahawks always seem very competitive in the beginning and they start to tail off around the end. Those game will sat the tone for our season I feel.

Originally posted by NYFootballGIANTS

@DENVER BRONCOS

Right now Clinton Portis is doing deadlifts in his basement thinking about Mike Shanahan calling him expendable. Just to show Shanahan how expendable he is, Portis breaks out the championship belt he wore after a big game in Denver.

PREDICTION: Portis goes for 270 and 6 TD’s and puts the belt on Coach Gibbs after the game.

SKINS 49- 17 ( I couldn’t help myself on this one)

49-17 in Denver?

Denver is 12-4 over the last 2 seasons at home.

What do you guys make of it? I find it very unlikely that a 10-6 record will win the division.

I find it unlikely that we'll be 10-6, and I would agree that 10-6 wouldn't win the division either

Originally posted by Vernon Hayfield

CHICAGO BEARS

For the fourth consecutive year, we will face the Chicago Bears. I am not sure what the rationale is, but I do know that just after one o’clock on September 11th there will be 90,000 rabid fans who are sick and tired of waiting in the heat. There is no way the Bears can operate in this type of environment.

PREDICTION: Grossman is on his back more than Paris Hilton.

SKINS 27-10

Bears related, so here's my thoughts about Mr. Hayfield's write up....

For starters, this is the third straight year the Skins and Bears have met. Check the facts son. Not doing so makes you as ignorant as the media.

90,000 fans? Almost everything I can find about the capacity at Fed Ex is that it has 91,665 seats, and if you add personal boxes....it's probably more around 100,000 fans.

Exactly what environment? Is this guy talking about the heat and humidity? Well, right now...the Bears are practicing in just over 100 degree heat. To top it off, last night's practice was rained out. What does evening rain usually bring the next day? Humidity. In other words, the Bears won't have any problem playing at Fed Ex. Now, if the Skins bring the heat....then I can understand what this guy is talking about, but he didn't specify. As for playing in front the fans, the Bears are like any other team in the NFL. The players won't know the difference between 91,665 or 60,000 screaming fans. In the end, it's all football.

OAKLAND RAIDERS

Moss is back. Jerry Porter comes home to D.C. Lamont Jordan comes home to Maryland. Nervous Norv Turner gets his homecoming. But they forget that one of Joe Gibbs’ least favorite teams is the Oakland Raiders. He still has flashbacks of what would have been his 4th Super Bowl victory and his blood boils. In this one coaching prevails.

PREDICTION: Gibbs uses trickery to bring the Skins from behind and the home unbeaten streak continues.

SKINS 17-16

Me again.....

Just thought I'd point out another error. Beating the Oakland Raiders would have been Gibbs' second SB victory, not his fourth.

I think 10-6 is pretty realistic. Of course, if we suffer catastrophic...i'm not even going there. But if that happens or if our QB play is atrocious, rather than just average or decent(which I'm positive it will be, at minimum) then perhaps it's not realistic.

Otherwise? I think it's a likelihood. Sorry, I see that D and other teams just don't match it. I see a Taylor and Arrington and a Bowen on the blitz, with cats like Lott and Harris and Rogers subbing in and I see domination.

We don't need to be the 1983 Redskins on offense. We can be the 87 Redskins, really and still pull this all off.

And there it is. The gospel on the 2005 season. The Skins not only have their first winning record since ’97, but they take the division as well. This team is built to win. They have a great defense to keep them in games, a healthy offensive line, a 1300-yard superback, a gunslinger QB, and the coaching staff with all the rust shaken off. Why not us? Teams have had out of nowhere success based on the same formula. We will get it done this year. You can take that to the bank.

Okay, this will be the last time....I promise!

I'm surprised you guys aren't ripping this guy to shreds. The last time the Skins had a winning season was in 1999, not 1997.

I also wouldn't label Portis as a 1300-yard superstar. 1300 yards ain't impressive in today's NFL.

I'm not even a Redskins fan and it seems like I know the Skins more than this guy does.

Originally posted by makaur

I'm surprised you guys aren't ripping this guy to shreds. The last time the Skins had a winning season was in 1999, not 1997.

I also wouldn't label Portis as a 1300-yard superstar. 1300 yards ain't impressive in today's NFL.

I'm not even a Redskins fan and it seems like I know the Skins more than this guy does.

Yeah he fouled up on 1997, but it could be one of those things where another instance or year was in his head and he didn't PROOFREAD to make sure.

As for Portis--he IS a superstar, and it has nothing to do with 1300 yards or not.

BTW, 1300 is still pretty good since he's the third leading rusher in the NFL. He only finished a few yards shy of Ladainian and LDT only had .1 yard more per carry in a far more stable and QB-productive environment. Contrast this with what Portis had to work with and you'll see why it's impressive.

We won't rip into him about facts so much because a lot of his predictions seem to be tongue-in-cheek and really aren't for serious consideration when you see all the jokes he makes. He's a homer-type Norman Chad who's just having fun.

What I WILL disagree with you about is that 1300 yards in today's NFL is still very impressive. A 1000 yard season is not the deal it used to be but only eight backs in the NFL gained 1300+ yards last season. A total of 18 backs ran for at least 1000 yards and 23, including Michael Vick, broke 900 yards.

We shall see what kind of superstar Portis is, when he runs all over that bears defense, again on opening day.;)

Here’s a joke you can use that night: What’s the difference between Donovan McNabb and a $1 bill? At least you can get four quarters from that $1 bill!

HAAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHA

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Portis will run ALL OVER Denver, I just dont know if it's gonna be to the tune of 49 points. Remember ladies and gents, the Denver Broncos have the exact same Cleveland Browns line that sucked ass at run stopping,well pass rushing too,but anywho....look what Jamal Lewis did in two games against them

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

As for Portis--he IS a superstar, and it has nothing to do with 1300 yards or not.

I think you guys misinterpreted what I meant. I didn't mean that Portis isn't a superstar. The knock was on the 1300 yard comment. 1300 yards for a season is an average of just over 81 yards a game. If a defense holds an opponent to that many yards, they're probably one of the top defenses in the league.

Portis is different. Even though he averages less than 100 yards a game, his presence alone forces defenses to stay honest. 1300 yards, for Portis, is lowering the bar a little don't you guys think? Last season wasn't a fluke, it was just a different scheme. This season, I would be surprised if Portis doesn't run for over 1700 yards, and gets an additional 300 receiving. Yeah, he's worthy of a 2000 all purpose yards.

As for Portis "running over the Bears" comment, it wouldn't surprise me if he has another good game against our defense. The Bears defense isn't designed to stop the run. If you don't believe me, take a look at all the running backs that ran for over 100 yards on our defense last year. There's quite a few. The Bears defense is a gap shoot, keep the points off the board defense. You can brag about Portis' great game last year against us, but tell me this.....how many TD's did Clinton score?

@NEW YORK GIANTS

EEEEEE-LIE EEEEEEE-LIE! The Giants will be much improved since the last game and have some offensive weapons in use now that Eli Manning is getting more experience. The Skins jump out early, but Eli gets his first taste of victory when Skins go down in the usual Skins/Giants season split.

PREDICTION: Eli still ugly as ever, but he is able to get Tiki going on short passes.

GMEN 21-13

OK, I have to point out that this game is actually at Fed-Ex.. And the fans won't be cheering EEEEEEEEE-LIE! More like Hit the road jack, or that YOU SUCK chant that they do at the TWERPS b-ball games. I agree with the 10-6, but we will win this one at home..

I think you guys misinterpreted what I meant. I didn't mean that Portis isn't a superstar. The knock was on the 1300 yard comment. 1300 yards for a season is an average of just over 81 yards a game. If a defense holds an opponent to that many yards, they're probably one of the top defenses in the league.

Portis is different. Even though he averages less than 100 yards a game, his presence alone forces defenses to stay honest. 1300 yards, for Portis, is lowering the bar a little don't you guys think? Last season wasn't a fluke, it was just a different scheme. This season, I would be surprised if Portis doesn't run for over 1700 yards, and gets an additional 300 receiving. Yeah, he's worthy of a 2000 all purpose yards.

As for Portis "running over the Bears" comment, it wouldn't surprise me if he has another good game against our defense. The Bears defense isn't designed to stop the run. If you don't believe me, take a look at all the running backs that ran for over 100 yards on our defense last year. There's quite a few. The Bears defense is a gap shoot, keep the points off the board defense. You can brag about Portis' great game last year against us, but tell me this.....how many TD's did Clinton score?

It doesnt matter how many TD's he scored, what matters is the game which we won.

Archived