Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Patten sees link between Ramsey and Brady

arenasisgod

Originally posted by VaBeachSkinzFan

Wait I'm confused. Are you saying that Brady is Mobile??? I'm not saying that Ramsey compares to Brady. But Mobility is probably the one area where he does compare.

Brady isn't Michael Vick mobile, but he has the ability to move around the pocket and throw on the run. In fact, I think he is one of the top QB's who has the ability to do this.

Originally posted by illone

Never said I was proud of it, but that doesn't seem like a problem to me. Comparing a rookie QB who went on to win 3 SB's in 4 years just doesn't seem like a bad thing IMO. Plus I really see Pat as a 2nd year guy. Again not a big fan of his but I feel that gibbs has had to re-teach him so many things that basically he started over. If Pat brings us 3 rings in the next 4 years I don't care if you call him Doug Elway:laugh:

Understood. :cheers:

The only problem IMO is that Gibbs has had to reteach him things that some players such as Brady, possess innately. The negative with all of the re-teaching is that instead of thinking instinctively, Ramsey is going to play according to what he is being tought instead of going out there and playing according to his natural skillset.

Ramsey possesses a cannon for an arm. He does however, hold the ball too long at times and IMO, that'sat least partially as a result of the confidence he has in that cannon of his. With an arm as strong as Ramsey's, one may naturally believe that you can rid of the football at the last split second.

The bottomline is that considering Ramsey's abilities and what Joe Gibbs expects out of the qb position, it isn't astonishing that the desire to draft Jason Campbell arose.

Just dont let brady improvise like in the Miami game last year.

Ramsey is getting a raw deal from everyone on his abilities.

Too many coaches in his ear over his first couple of seasons.

Hes finally on track, they brought a qb coach in to help him.

Second season he will do it. The kid just needs to learn a little rush avoidance, believe in his line and bingo, he'll be winner.

Comparing him to Brady is not even close. Same system for Brady for years.

Who was the genius who called Brady "mobile?"

Just because he has a good pocket feel doesn't make him mobile.

But what do I know, I just saw him play in effing person and predicted he'd be a good NFL Qb because of his 'clutch' ability.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Who was the genius who called Brady "mobile?"

Just because he has a good pocket feel doesn't make him mobile.

But what do I know, I just saw him play in effing person and predicted he'd be a good NFL Qb because of his 'clutch' ability.

Didn't he only play like 1/2 a season, though? Just curious.

ahh the preseason maddness ... I agree with you Skins Guy ... but just for fun ... Ramsey's stats the last 7 games are impressive.

More than touch, pocket presence or anything else, Ramsey has needed to learn confidence and confidence within a system. Once it is more automatic for him and he feels a better command of his players, things will develop for him.

Considering how little he has started compared with other QB's in the league ... I am optimistic that he will develop.

Biggest reason ... DC loves QB controversies and there will be a nice one if Ramsey has a good year heading into his contract season (2 years left I believe) and once he lights it up this year people will wonder about our investment in Jason Campbell.

Ramsey does need to work on his touch. That is fairly obvious to anyone with the IQ of a gnat. One of our greatest weapons on offense is a touch-type receiver in Cooley. Pat has got to be able to learn the shorter softer passes to improve Cooley's chances at the screen and passes out in the flats.

If anything, Ramsey has always reminded me of Favre not Montana or Brady.

PR and BF have similar off-field loves (outdoorsmen), both can take a beating and both have incredible arms.

What PR has lacked in the past was reading some coverages and improving his short game and accuracy or touch.

I don't question his leadership....with continuity and the chance to go back to his strengths (Shotgun and throwing mid-deep range passes), Ramsey has a great chance to prove how good an NFL QB he really is.

This is the guy that most of us wanted last year when Brunell struggled. Well he's the starter now. Campbell is a future product, enjoy Ramsey while he's the man NOW. 2006 can wait.

Let's just see if Ramsey can lead the Redskins down the path to glory in 2005.

Originally posted by goskins

This is the guy that most of us wanted last year when Brunell struggled. Well he's the starter now. Campbell is a future product, enjoy Ramsey while he's the man NOW. 2006 can wait.

Redskins fans always love the backup:laugh:

Yeah, they do....I wonder if PR struggles, how many threads of "Bring Back Brunell" will we see.....:rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh:

I think if PR struggles, Jason Campbell will become the fan favorite. Brunell will probably get booed if he steps on the field.

Good thing PR is headed for his first Pro Bowl. We won't have to suffer through all that QB contraversey BS.

Yeah, they do....I wonder if PR struggles, how many threads of "Bring Back Brunell" will we see.....:rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh:

The entire board will be ranting "That effing Ramsey"

Then you'll see everyone blaming world hunger, taxes, and traffic on Ramsey:laugh:

Originally posted by RunPortisRun

Well Tom Brady is compared to Montana...Can we now compare Ramsey to Montana too?

Point is:

Brady to Ramsey = no comparison.

Well aren't you a bundle of hope & joy?

"Excuse me, Waitor? I need a glass of optimism please, no ice? Thank you!"

Originally posted by red zone

I appreciate your attempting to describe "touch" Gothimus. However, lob one in the NFL and it's going the other way. Lob should be stricken from Patrick's vocabulary.

Patrick's primary problem is not his lack of touch, it is holding on to the ball to long. By holding it to long, he has no other option but to gun it. Once he gets comfortable and quick in his reads, the touch will start to improve. IMHO.

Many times in football you must lob, and/or place the ball in certain areas. In cases like these, a QB needs to apply touch. He has to have a feel for where he must place the ball, and what kind of touch to put on it in a split second.

Several times in every NFL game you will see a WR, usually the flanker or outside WR run a fade route, in which the WR takes a few steps, and fades toward the sideline. The QB then lofts the ball up to his outside shoulder out of the reach of the DB. This pattern is often run near the end zone.

You will also see situations in a game when the ball is placed toward the outside shoulder of a WR (Tom Brady is reat at this). A WR runs a curl to the outside and the QB places the ball, with touch directly to the outside shoulder.

Patrick Ramsey throws bullets no matter the pattern. He is not very good at throwing the deep ball, because he has a hard time putting arc on the ball. Throwing the ball in a straight line with a lot of velocity is a tool every QB needs to have, without a doubt, however, you can't be a complete QB without having a feel or ability to recognize when touch is needed, and the ability to be able to put that touch on the ball.

Oh yeah, there is definately a place for lofting or lobbing the ball, especially when you have large WR's. Roy Williams and Mushin Muhammed..etc catch them often.

PR and BF have similar off-field loves (outdoorsmen), both can take a beating and both have incredible arms.

What PR has lacked in the past was reading some coverages and improving his short game and accuracy or touch.

I don't question his leadership....with continuity and the chance to go back to his strengths (Shotgun and throwing mid-deep range passes), Ramsey has a great chance to prove how good an NFL QB he really is.

Agreed. Except, I don't expect Gibbs to throw Campbell in as the starter in 2006 unless Ramsey isn't here or starting. If Ramsey struggles, then I would expect to see him (although, I don't think Ramsey will struggle). But I totally agree about PR reminding me of Favre. Toughness & poise are what Ramsey & Favre are all about. You never know, maybe in 5 years, Madden will have his head up Ramsey's butt all the time.

On second thought, probably not. Ramsey does play for the Redskins.

This is getting out of hand. Comparing Ramsey to Farve? :doh:

The better comparison for Ramsey would be Jeff George.

Archived