Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: '05 Player Preview: Chris Cooley

I thought this was a pretty good article.

'05 Player Preview: Chris Cooley

July 13, 2005

Chris Cooley

Chris Cooley was among the pleasant surprises of the 2004 season. From the first days of mini-camp, when he admitted nervousness to lining up across from LaVar Arrington, to the last game of the season when he caught a team-high sixth touchdown pass, the soft-spoken Cooley was a refreshing presence on and off the field.

Cooley's six touchdown catches were the most by an H-back/tight end under Joe Gibbs. Cooley emerged as one of the team's most reliable targets, particularly around the goal line.

"I would never have expected something like that," Cooley said of his knack for catching touchdowns. "I feel really lucky to be in an offense where I have the chance to do that."

Cooley's toughness adds to his value on offense. He didn't miss a game last season and he always fights for extra yards after the catch. He finished with 37 catches for 314 yards

"When you are looking for core group people who you are going to build around long-term, you want guys who line up every down," Gibbs said. "That's really important as a coach for you to decide that this guy is going to line up every down and you can count on him."

After Cooley's promising showing as a rookie, Gibbs said that he plans to incorporate him into the offense to a greater extent this season.

"If you get the ball to Chris, he really runs well after the catch," Gibbs added. "We need to do a better job of getting more balls to him."

Year

Team

GP/GS

Rec

Yds

Avg

Lng

TD

2004 Redskins

16/9

Total

16/9

Memorable Game: In prime time against the Philadelphia Eagles at FedExField, Cooley caught five passes for a career-high 75 yards. Late in the fourth quarter, with the Redskins driving, he caught a critical third-down pass from Patrick Ramsey for a 31-yard gain. Afterwards, he jumped up and signaled first down in front of the Eagles defender.

From the Files: Cooley's accolades extended off the field in 2004. He took part in the Redskins Charitable Foundation's Redskins Read program last year. During Thanksgiving, he helped distribute gift baskets for a food drive. For his efforts, Cooley was the Redskins' nominee for the Walter Payton Man of the Year award.

Originally posted by Sweet Sassy Molassy

I thought this was a pretty good article.

Memorable Game: In prime time against the Philadelphia Eagles at FedExField, Cooley caught five passes for a career-high 75 yards. Late in the fourth quarter, with the Redskins driving, he caught a critical third-down pass from Patrick Ramsey for a 31-yard gain. Afterwards, he jumped up and signaled first down in front of the Eagles defender.

so great

Originally posted by flexxskins

Sorry, Im a little slow. Soldier? Certain people?

He's refering to Kellen Winslow II. After a demoralizing loss as a Miami Hurricane, K2 made a big spectacle of himself during an after game interview. He began to rant on and on about needing to be more of the focal point of the Hurricane's offense, stating that he, was a "soldier". The media ran with it and made a big deal about it because the timing of his statement could not have come at a more inopportune time, given the fact that we (America) were in the early stages of war, and this that kid knew nothing about being a soldier.:)

Originally posted by Riggo-toni

I will bet dollars to donuts this guy finishes with more career TDs than that useless f***g soldier certain people were so high on!

I wouldn't take that bet, I look for Cooley to have very solid career stats, but Winslow is a go to guy and a threat every down due to disadvantages in coverage. Cooley will wind up with more career TDs though if Winslow keeps getting hurt every season

Archived