Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor Charged -- Trial Could Start On Sept 12th

Hooper

Redskins' Taylor Charged With Assault and Battery

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, June 24, 2005; 10:17 AM

MIAMI, June 24 -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was formally charged this morning with one felony count of aggravated assault with a firearm and one misdemeanor count of simple battery for his role in a June 1 confrontation in a Miami neighborhood.

The charges were announced by the Miami-Dade state attorney's office at Taylor's arraignment.

The decision by prosecutor Mike Grieco to file the charges at the Richard E. Gerstein Building brings Taylor's case to trial with a tentative date of September 12.

Taylor pleaded not guilty through a written document filed in advance by defense lawyer Edward Carhart.

Neither the 6-foot-2, 232-pound safety nor Carhart appeared at the arraignment. Carhart made arrangements to be informed of any charges by telephone so he could relay the information to Taylor.

The charges stem from an incident in which Taylor reportedly was seeking the return of two stolen all-terrain vehicles he said were stolen from him.

I wonder how Florida handles thier cases. In Virginia the misdemeanor would be held in one the General District Court and the felony would be held in Circuit Court. The first court date, preliminary hearing, usually would be the same date, but the trial is always on a different date.

Also, they couldn't get a better court date for this case?

Originally posted by Hooper

Redskins' Taylor Charged With Assault and Battery

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, June 24, 2005; 10:17 AM

MIAMI, June 24 -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was formally charged this morning with one felony count of aggravated assault with a firearm and one misdemeanor count of simple battery for his role in a June 1 confrontation in a Miami neighborhood.

The charges were announced by the Miami-Dade state attorney's office at Taylor's arraignment.

The decision by prosecutor Mike Grieco to file the charges at the Richard E. Gerstein Building brings Taylor's case to trial with a tentative date of September 12.

Taylor pleaded not guilty through a written document filed in advance by defense lawyer Edward Carhart.

Neither the 6-foot-2, 232-pound safety nor Carhart appeared at the arraignment. Carhart made arrangements to be informed of any charges by telephone so he could relay the information to Taylor.

The charges stem from an incident in which Taylor reportedly was seeking the return of two stolen all-terrain vehicles he said were stolen from him.

Link?

I'd be shocked if there was a trial as soon as 9/12. Justice is many things in this country, but swift is generally not one of them.

My guess is that was a date floated by the DA's office for effect more than anything.

So one of the charges they chose not to persue ?

I thought he was facing 2 counts with a weapon ?

Also the date is tentative meaning (IMO) that they expect it to be pushed back.

He better get his butt to camp so he can earn some money to pay for this lawyer. Unreal.

You know, I am starting to see that this season will really test the Redskins fortitude. One player, does not a team make.

I wonder if it was possible for him to plead guilty to the simple battery, but not the assault with a firearm? - Then maybe he could get off with some sort of community service.

2 theives as the only witnesses, no gun and bullet holes in his own car. - doesn't sound like a strong case.

Sean's lack of judgment in getting himself into this whole mess in the first place has been well and fairly documented ... but I have to admit I'm not convinced there's not some good, old-fashioned grandstanding going on here on the part of the law, either.

Just a gut feeling.

Archived