Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Street & Smith's Guide Out

Trippster

I just read the Street & Smith's Pro Football guide for this year. They're predicting the Skins to go 5-11 and finish fourth in the division this year. Their overall grade for the Skins is 72 out of 100.

The Redskins didn't do much better in the Sporting News Guide that just came out as well. They also picked the Redskins to finish fourth in the division and they gave the offense and receivers a D. What I couldn't believe is that they gave the offensive line a grade of B-.

I think these two forecasts are very pessimistic. I think the Redskins will be better next year, not worse. They may have lost some guys but the continuity going into next year should make a big difference.

All of these magazines seem to be predicting the same thing. I bought a few myself and they tend to overhype teams like the Giants and bash the Skins. I understand we didn't play last year but if you're going to hype up a team like the Giants who had the same record last year, at least give the Skins some consideration.

Originally posted by Trippster

Maybe it's good to be off everybody's radar.

That is a very spot-on comment.

However, I do have some concerns going into the season and am afraid all is not quite as some of the "sunshiners" around here would have you believe. I think success for this squad would be 8-8 or 9-7.

I can't get mad at the media predictions. We've been to the playoffs once in the last 13 years. We haven't EARNED any respect.

Now I think we'll be better than 5-11 but honestly, untill we prove that we can win consistently (and I mean win, not play better towards the end of the season, not play close games but lose, WIN) why should the media predict good things?

Originally posted by CaliforniaSkin

Now I think we'll be better than 5-11 but honestly, untill we prove that we can win consistently (and I mean win, not play better towards the end of the season, not play close games but lose, WIN) why should the media predict good things?

Even though our record only showed one more win, this team made huge steps between '03 and '04. The '04 team never stopped fighting until the very end, even when the Offense failed to produce. Big-time change in heart between the two years. That's a big start in putting it all together, IMHO.

However...

The media won't care about that until that heart produces wins, not that the team plays to make the media happy or anything like that. Hopefully we can put another piece of the puzzle together this year

Nick

Originally posted by CaliforniaSkin

I can't get mad at the media predictions. We've been to the playoffs once in the last 13 years. We haven't EARNED any respect.

I've said it before...when the media doesn't seem to care if other teams prove they can win (and win consistently) before predicting success in the upcoming season (the Giants are now somehow the 3rd best team in the NFC??), there's no reason to single out the Skins to be the one team that needs to meet that criteria before they can allow themselves to see a realistic possibility of improving their record by a win or two, instead of doing even worse...

Plus, it doesn't help when their analysis is full of inaccuracies (I think that same magazine claims that the Skins defense was both 5th and 1st in points allowed...and on the same damn page..lol)

Originally posted by Trippster

I just read the Street & Smith's Pro Football guide for this year. They're predicting the Skins to go 5-11 and finish fourth in the division this year. Their overall grade for the Skins is 72 out of 100.

The Redskins didn't do much better in the Sporting News Guide that just came out as well. They also picked the Redskins to finish fourth in the division and they gave the offense and receivers a D. What I couldn't believe is that they gave the offensive line a grade of B-.

Perrrrrrfect. :evil:

you have to understand that media types fall in love with top pick quarterbacks. they always have.

the Giants drafted Eli Manning so based on what he MIGHT be able to do in the future (hoping it all comes sooner rather than later for him) the team is rated a lot higher for 2005 than it otherwise would be.

if Kerry Collins was still the qb (solid, good deep arm, limited mobility) the Giants would not be as hyped up as they are with images of Manning turning into his brother overnight :laugh: :laugh:

If Peter King thought Danny Wuerffel could throw for 3,700 yards under Spurrier why is it so strange that others believe that Manning will become Joe Montana overnight without having to pay his dues? :)

I know what you mean. I picked up the ESPN fantasy mag last night and turned to the team previews section. They have a part describing each teams red zone offense and this is what they had to say about our TE's:

"TEs Chris Cooley and Robert Royal are the best targets, which is a problem."

So then I turned to the page about the Chiefs' red zone offense:

"Opponents know where the ball is going: Gonzalez or Holmes... Coordinator Al Saunders deserves lots of credit; he consistantly finds ways to spring Gonzalez into open spaces."

Anyone one else catch the problem?

I don't know why I buy these stupid magazines anyway...:puke:

Cooley is just the kind of over-achieving player that Gibbs has won with in the past. And like those others, he is discounted by the writers because he doesn't have 4.5 speed or sport a 'white boy on steroids' attitude like Jeremy Shockey.

Archived