Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Offseason swap with Dallas?

jrockster21

Hard to say because both teams have different needs. I have to say I like the DL picks they made. For some reason the Skins have not drafted a D-lineman since Kenard Lang. I didn't like the Skins giving up 3 picks for Campbell though. I thought that was too much.

We didn't have the same needs as Dallas, as many people have already said. We were very close to being a 10-6 or 9-7 team with just a little tweaking and didn't have the overall needs as they did, so no way would I trade.

The same time, it's amazing to me that no one in the media sees the hypocrisy. The exactly same thing they did this offseason was stuff we got blasted for six years ago.

Nick

Originally posted by ntotoro

We didn't have the same needs as Dallas, as many people have already said. We were very close to being a 10-6 or 9-7 team with just a little tweaking and didn't have the overall needs as they did, so no way would I trade.

The same time, it's amazing to me that no one in the media sees the hypocrisy. The exactly same thing they did this offseason was stuff we got blasted for six years ago.

Nick [/quote

I hope your right about the Skins having a winning record.

Ethan Albright, LS Washington Unrestricted Undisclosed

Brian Allen, LB Carolina Unrestricted Undisclosed

Ray Brown, OL Washington Unrestricted Undisclosed

Jeff Chandler, K Washington Exclusive rights Undisclosed

Kevin Dyson, WR San Diego Other+ Undisclosed

Warrick Holdman, LB Cleveland Unrestricted Undisclosed

David Patten, WR New England Unrestricted Undisclosed

Pierson Prioleau, S Buffalo Other* Undisclosed

Casey Rabach, C Baltimore Unrestricted Undisclosed

Joe Salave'a, DT Washington Unrestricted Undisclosed

Mike Sellers, TE Washington Unrestricted Undisclosed

plus

1 9 Rogers, Carlos CB 6-0 199 Auburn

1 25 Campbell, Jason QB 6-4 223 Auburn

4 120 White, Manuel FB 6-2 244 UCLA

5 154 McCune, Robert ILB 6-0 243 Louisville

6 183 Newberry, Jared OLB 6-1 234 Stanford

7 222 Broughton, Nehemiah FB 5-11 250 The Citadel

vs

Darian Barnes, FB Dallas Restricted 1 year

Drew Bledsoe, QB Buffalo Other* 3 years

Billy Cundiff, K Dallas Restricted 1 year

Jason Ferguson, DT New York Jets Unrestricted Undisclosed

Aaron Glenn, CB Houston Other* 2 years

Anthony Henry, CB Cleveland Unrestricted Undisclosed

Reggie Love, LB None Other+ Undisclosed

Marco Rivera, G Green Bay Unrestricted Undisclosed

Anthony Thomas, RB Chicago Unrestricted 1 year

Kurt Vollers, OT Dallas Restricted 1 year

plus

1 11 Ware, Demarcus DE 6-4 247 Troy State

1 20 Spears, Marcus DE 6-4 298 Louisiana State

2 42 Burnett, Kevin OLB 6-3 237 Tennessee

4 109 Barber, Marion RB 5-11 221 Minnesota

4 132 Canty, Chris DE 6-7 286 Virginia

6 208 Beriault, Justin FS 6-2 199 Ball State

6 209 Petitti, Rob OT 6-6 347 Pittsburgh

7 224 Ratliff, Jeremiah 'Jay' DE 6-3 293 Auburn

this is what was listed on nfl.com as offseason moves, so is this the list we are comparing?

Posted it before,and I will post it again: I dont give a wet fart about anthing that has to do with those Cowturds.Lets worry about our draft, our offense,our defense, what our skins need to do to get back becoming a proud team again.Sorry, but I really dont like those turds and their inbred fans.:mad: :dallasuck

Everyone is hating on Jason Campbell but I think he just may turn out to be one of the best things that Gibbs does while he is here. As for the Cowboys, what is your future at QB? Do you have one or is this just Parcells last ditch effort to get to the Playoffs before he leaves the Cowboys at the end of the season. No one is giving the Skins a chance this year, it is all about the Eagles, and the great draft by the boys'. If you are so sure about it than dont worry, Redskins fans that watch the team year in and year out are seeing a transformation at Redskins Park, and we are just a little excited about it, thats all.

Originally posted by goaldeje

Nice to see a Cowboys fan who understands a quieter off season is not a bad off season. You are far ahead talent wise of last year's team. Now you need time. Gibbs clearly felt we have talent and now can give us continuity and time. My question to you is this: what moves would have qualified our off season as a success? WHat areas specifically should we have addressed? And while you're at it, please address Bledsoe. I have never been able to get a satisfactory answer as to how that benefits the Boys at all.

Bledsoe gives Parcells a familiar face at QB. That is how he benefits the Cowturds. Parcells hasn't been comfortable at the QB position since he got to Dallas, and he keeps trying to plug in his QBs from yore to try and get comfortable. The problem with Vinny was that he was an old QB when he had him 5 or 6 years ago (whenever he was with the Jets). The problem with Bledsoe is that he is clearly on the decline. Maybe not so much as Brunell, but you have to look at the similarity of the moves. Both are about the same age, and both were supplanted by younger QBs. The Bills basically supplanted Bledsoe with an unknown quantity in Losman, while Brunell was removed because of injury. He then proceeded to lose the job, but only after Leftwich proved he could get the job done.

Originally posted by dreamingwolf

Ethan Albright, LS Washington Unrestricted Undisclosed

Brian Allen, LB Carolina Unrestricted Undisclosed

Ray Brown, OL Washington Unrestricted Undisclosed

Jeff Chandler, K Washington Exclusive rights Undisclosed

Kevin Dyson, WR San Diego Other+ Undisclosed

Warrick Holdman, LB Cleveland Unrestricted Undisclosed

David Patten, WR New England Unrestricted Undisclosed

Pierson Prioleau, S Buffalo Other* Undisclosed

Casey Rabach, C Baltimore Unrestricted Undisclosed

Joe Salave'a, DT Washington Unrestricted Undisclosed

Mike Sellers, TE Washington Unrestricted Undisclosed

plus

1 9 Rogers, Carlos CB 6-0 199 Auburn

1 25 Campbell, Jason QB 6-4 223 Auburn

4 120 White, Manuel FB 6-2 244 UCLA

5 154 McCune, Robert ILB 6-0 243 Louisville

6 183 Newberry, Jared OLB 6-1 234 Stanford

7 222 Broughton, Nehemiah FB 5-11 250 The Citadel

vs

Darian Barnes, FB Dallas Restricted 1 year

Drew Bledsoe, QB Buffalo Other* 3 years

Billy Cundiff, K Dallas Restricted 1 year

Jason Ferguson, DT New York Jets Unrestricted Undisclosed

Aaron Glenn, CB Houston Other* 2 years

Anthony Henry, CB Cleveland Unrestricted Undisclosed

Reggie Love, LB None Other+ Undisclosed

Marco Rivera, G Green Bay Unrestricted Undisclosed

Anthony Thomas, RB Chicago Unrestricted 1 year

Kurt Vollers, OT Dallas Restricted 1 year

plus

1 11 Ware, Demarcus DE 6-4 247 Troy State

1 20 Spears, Marcus DE 6-4 298 Louisiana State

2 42 Burnett, Kevin OLB 6-3 237 Tennessee

4 109 Barber, Marion RB 5-11 221 Minnesota

4 132 Canty, Chris DE 6-7 286 Virginia

6 208 Beriault, Justin FS 6-2 199 Ball State

6 209 Petitti, Rob OT 6-6 347 Pittsburgh

7 224 Ratliff, Jeremiah 'Jay' DE 6-3 293 Auburn

this is what was listed on nfl.com as offseason moves, so is this the list we are comparing?

Exactly.

The problem I have with everyone blasting the Campbell move is this; there have been a lot of teams who make huge trades to get the 'QB of the future.' And while the argument that prevails is that we already had Ramsey, and while Ramsey has shown a lot of potential, he is still unproven. I'm a huge Ramsey fan, but if he can't get it done this year, then maybe the Campbell move was a good one.

That being said, if Ramsey plays the entire season last year, the Skins would have finished at least 8-8. So with the upgrades to the offense, and roughly the same defense, 9-7, 10-6 or even 11-5 are not out of the question.

Look at the defense; the only two players who left were Pierce and Smoot. They drafted Rogers and picked up Allen, Holdman, McCune and Newberry to fill Pierce's shoes. Not to mention the depth we had at the position already.

Originally posted by THEHEREAFTER

I like Burnett better than your LB's.

Seriously, this is major homerism. You like a second-round guy who hasn't played a down in the NFL better than Marcus Washington, Lavar Arrington, Warrick Holdman or Brian Allen? I only use those names because they are all solid LBs in the NFL who have proven they can play. You are insane if you would rather have Burnett than any of those four. Especially Marcus Washington. The man made a pro-bowl for crying out loud!

Atleast the Cowboys usually trade down and accumulate picks rather than trading up and squandering them. I would love to have the guys they selected for their defense and frankly Bledsoe is just like Rypien and better right now than any QB on our roster. Only thing is we dont have the Hogs blocking. So our Qbs have to be able to run.

Originally posted by goaldeje

Nice to see a Cowboys fan who understands a quieter off season is not a bad off season. You are far ahead talent wise of last year's team. Now you need time. Gibbs clearly felt we have talent and now can give us continuity and time. My question to you is this: what moves would have qualified our off season as a success? WHat areas specifically should we have addressed? And while you're at it, please address Bledsoe. I have never been able to get a satisfactory answer as to how that benefits the Boys at all.

What moves would have qualified your season as a success? First off, I'm not dismissing that your off-season can't or won't be a success. Only time will tell. It's just my opinion that it hasn't been right now. I'm gonna state the obvious and say Mike Williams along with Santana Moss may have been nice. A little more firepower on the D-line may have also been a need. I don't agree with what you did to get Campbell either. Would you have needed Carlos Rodgers had you found a way to keep Smoot? Did past cap mgmt. keep you from retaining Smoot and Pierce? Were there other QB's later in the draft? These are just some of the questions I'm sure you're tired of hearing of.

As far as Bledsoe. He benefits the Boys #1 because he actually gives us a dose of youth @ the position :laugh:. He is a stop-gap solution in hopes of the development and emergence of Drew Henson. He provides leadership and experience. He has a relationship with Parcells and can be very productive given a running game, a dependable tight-end, help from a good defense and enough time to throw.

Originally posted by jrockster77

The problem I have with everyone blasting the Campbell move is this; there have been a lot of teams who make huge trades to get the 'QB of the future.' And while the argument that prevails is that we already had Ramsey, and while Ramsey has shown a lot of potential, he is still unproven. I'm a huge Ramsey fan, but if he can't get it done this year, then maybe the Campbell move was a good one.

That being said, if Ramsey plays the entire season last year, the Skins would have finished at least 8-8. So with the upgrades to the offense, and roughly the same defense, 9-7, 10-6 or even 11-5 are not out of the question.

Look at the defense; the only two players who left were Pierce and Smoot. They drafted Rogers and picked up Allen, Holdman, McCune and Newberry to fill Pierce's shoes. Not to mention the depth we had at the position already.

Seriously, this is major homerism. You like a second-round guy who hasn't played a down in the NFL better than Marcus Washington, Lavar Arrington, Warrick Holdman or Brian Allen? I only use those names because they are all solid LBs in the NFL who have proven they can play. You are insane if you would rather have Burnett than any of those four. Especially Marcus Washington. The man made a pro-bowl for crying out loud!

No I didn't mean your vets. I really like Marcus Washington especially. The topic was off-season and I like Kevin Burnett moreso than the two LB's you DRAFTED that's all :)

I'm gonna jump out on a limb and say that if we literally traded offseasons you would be laughing @ Dallas and creaming your pants dreaming of how GW would use all those shiny new toys. But your draft was your draft and our draft was ours. Both teams had different needs and fans are gonna back their teams :) .

I just have two things to say on this thread:

1. Why are we comparing anything with Cowboys fans? They could draft the Three Stooges and still beat us. They are 13-1 against us in the last 14 games!!!!! So no matter what they do in the offseason, it works against us!

2. Also, I'm tired of hearing people say the Redskins gave up three picks to get one. We swapped first round picks and gave up two picks (a third- and fourth-rounder). That's it! We took next year's pick and used it this year and gave up a third and fourth round pick to do it. Big deal!

PS--I feel real good about Jason Campbell.

Originally posted by cakmoney61

2. Also, I'm tired of hearing people say the Redskins gave up three picks to get one. We swapped first round picks and gave up two picks (a third- and fourth-rounder). That's it! We took next year's pick and used it this year and gave up a third and fourth round pick to do it. Big deal!

PS--I feel real good about Jason Campbell.

You better feel good about him because that is a big deal IMO. How that deal works out along with no first next year could determine the skins future for years to come. It's one thing to trade out of the first to gain picks. The Cowboys trading away two future firsts for Galloway set us back for about 5 years.

What moves would have qualified your season as a success? First off, I'm not dismissing that your off-season can't or won't be a success. Only time will tell. It's just my opinion that it hasn't been right now. I'm gonna state the obvious and say Mike Williams along with Santana Moss may have been nice. A little more firepower on the D-line may have also been a need. I don't agree with what you did to get Campbell either. Would you have needed Carlos Rodgers had you found a way to keep Smoot? Did past cap mgmt. keep you from retaining Smoot and Pierce? Were there other QB's later in the draft? These are just some of the questions I'm sure you're tired of hearing of.

The problem with this is that I don't think Smoot fit into GWills' system well enough to justify the pay day he wanted. The contract he got from the Vikes had more yearly pay in it. But Williams' likes tough, blitzing cornerbacks. Smoot is definitely tough, but he wasn't the greatest blitzer. We offered him a fair contract, and he opted not to take it. It wasn't because they couldn't afford to pay him more, its because they didn't want to pay him more than Springs, who outplayed him last season.

And Pierce? He got a big pay day from the Giants, and I'm happy for him. He peaked at the right time and took advantage of it. I think it speaks volumes, however, that the Redskins failed to match the contract he got from the Gmen. Reminds me of the Trotter acquisition a few years ago.....

As far as Bledsoe. He benefits the Boys #1 because he actually gives us a dose of youth @ the position :laugh:. He is a stop-gap solution in hopes of the development and emergence of Drew Henson. He provides leadership and experience. He has a relationship with Parcells and can be very productive given a running game, a dependable tight-end, help from a good defense and enough time to throw.

:laugh: :rotflmao: :laugh: :rotflmao: :laugh:

You better feel good about him because that is a big deal IMO. How that deal works out along with no first next year could determine the skins future for years to come. It's one thing to trade out of the first to gain picks. The Cowboys trading away two future firsts for Galloway set us back for about 5 years.

Okay, examine this scenario, as outlandish as you may think it is:

Say Ramsey has a career year this year, passing for something similar to what Brees did last season, like 3500 yards and 28 TDs or something like that with only 10 interceptions. And lets give Gibbs the benefit of the doubt and say that Campbell is a good quarterback, and will have success in this league. Next year the Skins will be stacked at the QB position. 2006 is the last year (I think) in Ramsey's contract, so if he does do very well, he may demand some exorbitant contract figure, and Gibbs may well be unwilling to pay it. In that case, Campbell, who has been on the bench 2 years will be ready to step in and takeover.

Plus, first round picks are overrated. Search the archives here; there has actually been a study done showing that for the most part, 1st round picks aren't worth the money they are paid. So not having a 1st round pick in one draft is not as huge a deal as you make it out to be.

Originally posted by jschlesi

Atleast the Cowboys usually trade down and accumulate picks rather than trading up and squandering them. I would love to have the guys they selected for their defense and frankly Bledsoe is just like Rypien and better right now than any QB on our roster. Only thing is we dont have the Hogs blocking. So our Qbs have to be able to run.

Good to see you have a positive outlook. :rolleyes:

To add a point, if the skins make the playoffs and pick in the twenties than it really won't matter because Denver will basically get what they gave up this year.

If Campbell turns out to be the real deal than the loss of the picks means nothing. Good QB's are premium in the NFL.

Posted By Art:

To which I'll explain if you had a choice of adding several starters in free agency or doing relatively little because of solid roster composition, which would you prefer.[/Quote]

2004 Season Results -

Washington Redskins - 6-10

Dallas Cowboys - 6-10

2004 head-to-head meetings -

Sept. 29, 2004 - Dallas 21 - Washington - 18

Dec. 26, 2004 - Dallas 13 - Washington - 10

I see your point. This is where I get real quiet.

2004 Season Results -

Washington Redskins - 6-10

Dallas Cowboys - 6-10

2004 head-to-head meetings -

Sept. 29, 2004 - Dallas 21 - Washington - 18

Dec. 26, 2004 - Dallas 13 - Washington - 10

I see your point. This is where I get real quiet.

Wow, lots of insight and commentary. And, just one more reason why I hate Dallas. Just a little insight. Our 6-10 followed a completely new coaching staff, a head coach that hadn't coached in over a decade, and lots of new faces. Dallas cannot say the same.

Archived