Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nice Deion Story For Father's Day

GrimReaper21

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8572733

How's this for a feel-good story? Ravens cornerback Deion Sanders is planning to adopt Noel Devine, one of Florida's most highly-touted high school running backs.

Devine's not just any running back; he had a two-game stretch last October in which he gained 35 yards PER CARRY! That is insane, even by high school standards. Devine played at North Fort Myers (Fla.) High, the school from which Sanders graduated in 1985. Now Devine will be moving to Texas to play high school football at Prosper High School and live with Sanders.

"The principal of my high school told me about him a couple of years ago," Sanders said. "Said the young man needed guidance. I didn't follow through then, but was back in my hometown for a Jevon Kearse event recently. Three more people told me about Noel and his struggles. I've spent some time with the young man, and he needs direction. He doesn't have parents; they died. God put this young man in my heart. This is not about sports. This is about a kid's life."

Kudos to Sanders, the ultimate showman who is a lot more than glitz.

Shows that Deion is a class act. For all the bad things redskins fans have to say about him, he has never been in trouble with the law, unlike some of our players, and does lots of charity.

heh, heard his name before, not sure from where though.

Deion is a ****y headcase, but he at least shows it on the field. He didnt playe like "primetime" for us the year he came in, but he was just as solid in the secondary. Plus, never heard anything about him being a locker room problem or off-field problem.

Devine's parents are deceased and he's been living with a friend for the last 3 years and recently has just started to get into trouble. I suppose it'll be better for him at Deions house in Texas. I just wonder how he'll be able to mentor the kid from Bmore. He won't even be with the kid half of the year.

I am also a little pessimistic, I mean it's a good thing he's doing but this kid sounds like he'll get a scholarship to a good college.

Would Deion have done this if the kid didn't play football? I'll bet there are other kids at that school who are in more need of guidance.:) maybe he didn't follow through a couple years ago because he didnt have as many stats and scouts checking him out. I can't help being a little skeptical of Deion.:confused:

Originally posted by Monkart

I am also a little pessimistic, I mean it's a good thing he's doing but this kid sounds like he'll get a scholarship to a good college.

Would Deion have done this if the kid didn't play football? I'll bet there are other kids at that school who are in more need guidance.:) maybe he didn't follow through a couple years ago because he didnt have as many stats and scouts checking him out. I can't help being a little skeptical of Deion.:confused:

thats what i was thinking

I find it a damn shame that more people can't just accept and reflect on Deion's generosity. It is completely in keeping with his character and faith.

I believe that any of you -- if you had the heart -- who thought about taking in a young person who needs help, would probably be more inclined to someone who could benefit from your experience (whether football, work or life).

I agree with Andyman. I think its ridiculous that people need to say that Deion is just looking for attention. Can the guy not do a good deed, and change the life of a kid who lost both his parents. Are dose there need to be alterior motives. Deion has never been in any kind of trouble, he just shows off a lot. Who cares? He backs it up with his play. Redskins fans loved smoot, and he bragged just as much.

Well why didn't he do it a couple years ago, did he not have that character then andyman? the man is rich so, the funding will be nothing to him (besides he'll be using Dan's dime anyway). as far as character and faith, I have faith Deion is a character more than he has character. I think it's ridiculous that people (SmootSkins21) think anything Deion does is not about the attention.

You do not have to be in trouble with the law to have character issues. I do hope the kid makes the most of his opportunity. But Deion has no :halo: as far as I'm concerned. Go ahead Noel take Deion's money and run, that would be in character of what Deion would do. that would be Devine justice!!;)

I think it's a nice move. And think about it, if you were in a position to do the same, wouldn't you pick a kid who has something in common with you? Deion has football in common with this kid. If you were really into science and technology, wouldn't you seek out a kid who has the same interests? That way you could relate a little bit more, give them better advice, teach them things...

doesnt matter why he is doing what hes doing , who cares if he wants attention IF thats really what he wants , what matters is this kid JUST might have a decent life now one way or the other , one he might not have had without help .... there are countless kids who need help and i wouldnt care if 2 million people helped them ONLY to gain attention , just so long as the kids got help

It's a very generous and mostly unselfish offer on Mr. Sander's behalf. Noel Devine is a sure fire superstar. Noel will really help FSU when he is ready for college (how could he go anywhere else?). I believe Jevon Kerse also went to the same high school. If you want to see how dominate this young man was a a Freshman, do a google search, he's absolutley remarkable.

Cudos to Deion.

anybody who is going to bash deon for this has a lot less class and character then they are claiming deon has.

an athlete can be ****y and go after money without the character issues that you guys want to make deon out to have. lets be honest, deon sanders was, during the 90's, the best cb in the league and deserving of the money he made. all he did was go to teams and help them win championships. just because he did not do that with the skins is no reason to claim that his personal traits mirror his public/professional traits.

Originally posted by nace14

anybody who is going to bash deon for this has a lot less class and character then they are claiming deon has.

an athlete can be ****y and go after money without the character issues that you guys want to make deon out to have. lets be honest, deon sanders was, during the 90's, the best cb in the league and deserving of the money he made. all he did was go to teams and help them win championships. just because he did not do that with the skins is no reason to claim that his personal traits mirror his public/professional traits.

True. Just cause he didn't perform that well here doesn't mean he's a bad guy.

He's gotten all the publicity that anyone could ever want. He's toned down his act a little bit over these past few years. I think he's a genuine good guy now.

It is a nice thing for Deion to do, but like Steve Czaban said on his morning show today, if the kid was a gay violinist, Deion wouldn't have anything to do with him. The fact that he's a can't miss prospect makes it seem as if Deion has more motives than just his good heart.

How much you want to bet now that this kid goes to FSU?? Having said that, I do applaud Deion for helping this kid. Maybe Deion can adopt Sean Taylor too.

Hail,

H

If the kid had been a gay violinist, the principal at Deion's high school probably wouldn't have told Sanders about the plight of the kid.

Just by simple reading, you will notice that the kid's plight was brought to Deion's attention by the principal of the school as well as a couple of others.

It's one thing to bash Deion as a football player but for individuals to be so negative towards him regarding something that is positive any way you spin it, is a bit disturbing, but typical.

Originally posted by Drex

It's one thing to bash Deion as a football player but for individuals to be so negative towards him regarding something that is positive any way you spin it, is a bit disturbing, but typical.

Yeah, you're right. It is a good thing that Deion is doing, and I suppose one should not question his motives, seeing how many athletes (and non-athletes) these days don't have a father in their lives.

Maybe Deion will start a trend and other well off athletes will take a look at untalented children who could also use a family.

Hail,

H

Actually the focus should not be just on Deion, but the kid himself, who lacks not only the presence of a father, but a mother as well.

Kids growing up today have a lot of obstacles within their communities that can serve as a means of thwarting their dreams. I just applaud Deion for giving the kid a better chance to fulfill his enormous potential.

Archived