Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sportsline: Defensive Rankings (An Absolute Joke!!)

mhd24

Of course Griffin and Springs should be on the list, but it's no big deal that they are not on this list. Who cares what these writers think? It was much more of a slap in the face that neither man was voted to the Pro Bowl than not making some media list.

Besides I kind of like the idea of the Redskins being a team that will be better than the sum of it's parts. Just like Gibbs I. Folks can ignore Griffin,Springs,Taylor etc etc all they want, they can't ignore the FACT that the Skins had the best D in the NFC last year and were neck and neck with Pittsburgh until the final game for best in the league.

Philadelphia didn't blink when it let go of Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor in the same year, and Brown is one reason why. The Eagles had faith he could be an every-down player, and they were right. He was one of three Eagles defensive backs to reach the Pro Bowl.

That was referring to Sheldon Brown. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Dawkins, Lewis, and Lito Sheppard that represented the Eagles secondary in the pro bowl. Was Brown an alternate or something? (if so, that would technically make it 4 DBs to reach the pro bowl, but I digress...)

I wouldn't put too much stock into this author's opinions if I were you guys. Not even CBS Sportsline is immune to making and oversightes. (read: idiotic blunders)

also, I'm usually not the one to scream conspiracy when it comes to the media's perception of the Skins, but I have a hard time believing that Pierce makes that list if we resigned him. I mean he didn't even get voted to the pro bowl (snub) but yet he's ranked #6? Wheres was all the AP hype last year?

Originally posted by Bang

Tired of this excuse.

Marcus Stroud,, what did he win last year?

How about Kris Jenkins?

John Henderson?

What did LeRoi Glover win last year?

How about Zack Thomas or Jason Taylor? What did they win?

What about Keith Bulluck, who they have rated as the best OLB in the league? Has he ever won ANYTHING>?

Derrick Brooks?? julian Petersen???? (he missed ten games last year to injury!) What did they win last year?

Five of the top top SIX corners they list didn't make the playoffs last year. In fact, 8 of their top ten corners didnt make the playoffs last year.

Enough of this "when we win" crap.

Obviously, winning isn't a criteria. Being a member of 31 other teams sure seems to help, though.

~Bang

Couldn't agree more.

Originally posted by NYFootballGIANTS

Why did Harry Carson with 9 Pro Bowl appearances never make the Hall? Was it because the media hates the Giants?

I think even Skins fans will agree that Carson deserves the Hall.

And look around dude, there's an anti NY media backlash as well.

Originally posted by jrockster77

Plus, I love how he says Clinton Portis struggled his first year as a Redskin, but he was the 3rd leading rusher in the NFC. Does that mean that the 13 other other backs in the NFC struggled as well? :doh:

I get what you're saying here, and I understand your logic, but with all do respect to my man Clinton, that was just about the most unimpressive 1300+ yards I've seen. He had good runs, but only broke 5 for over 20 (in denver he did that 30 times in 2 years), plus his yards per carry average was low. This year will be better, that's why he'll top 1500!!

Originally posted by Bang

Tired of this excuse.

Marcus Stroud,, what did he win last year?

How about Kris Jenkins?

John Henderson?

What did LeRoi Glover win last year?

How about Zack Thomas or Jason Taylor? What did they win?

What about Keith Bulluck, who they have rated as the best OLB in the league? Has he ever won ANYTHING>?

Derrick Brooks?? julian Petersen???? (he missed ten games last year to injury!) What did they win last year?

Five of the top top SIX corners they list didn't make the playoffs last year. In fact, 8 of their top ten corners didnt make the playoffs last year.

Enough of this "when we win" crap.

Obviously, winning isn't a criteria. Being a member of 31 other teams sure seems to help, though.

~Bang

This is true. :notworthy

Sean Taylor should be on that list if they put DJ Williams in the top 10 for OLB's. Also, I am surprised that Jon Vilma isnt on the list, yet both DJ Williams and Dunta Robinson are. Lavar should not be on the list, but at least people still have respect/fear for him, lets hope he gets back to that form.

Clinton's spot was a stretch, but I think they give respect to him for having no good run blocking and still pulling out that many.

Darwin Walker isn't one of the 25 best DTs in the NFL. He is the worst player on our defense (assuming the Simmoneau experiement is over), and is the primary reason for our troubles against the run the last three years.

If I were a general manager though, I would take every one of the other DT's you mentioned over Griffin. Which isn't to say he is a bad player, just that I would take those guys over him.

Who cares, it's great we're not on that list. I love the hypocrisy of it...before we got slammed for having "all-stars", now everyone is all over our case for not having them. Please, it's fine.... Who cares if you have a Deion if your defense is # 3 in the league...

Remember, it was shocking how the Pat's never got respect back in the day. They proved you didn't have to have the big names to win 3 Super Bowls.

Originally posted by skinshog

I get what you're saying here, and I understand your logic, but with all do respect to my man Clinton, that was just about the most unimpressive 1300+ yards I've seen. He had good runs, but only broke 5 for over 20 (in denver he did that 30 times in 2 years), plus his yards per carry average was low. This year will be better, that's why he'll top 1500!!

Well said. I mean I like Clinton but his best run of the season last year was his first or second carry. I can't remeber exactly.

:thud:

Okay Sean Taylor is in trouble off the field but isn't this list about on the field production? If that's the case how in the world can he rank Will Demps, Chris Hope, Adrian Wilson, Michael Lewis, Donovan Darius, Rodney Harrison over Sean Taylor? That's stupid, that's just dumb horrible analysis. Did he even watch a single Redskins game?

I can see making arguments for Polamalu, Dawkins and Reed. Polamalu had a great year and Dawkins has been doing it for years now. Ed Reed is probably in a class of his own. But those other guys better than Taylor? As Bill Walton would say, "That's horrible."

Originally posted by Califan007

So, let me get this straight...they ranked a rookie ahead of Springs...because he COULD be good??...

Good lord... :doh:

Well I can't argue with robinson being on that list, he's a big time playmaker and showed it last season. it is some BS tho that springs isn't on that list at all, he should be in the top 5

There are a few big problem with this guys' list. Some parts are dead on but then there is an addition that is just totally off its pretty funny.

My observations:

Antonio Pierce ranked higher than Brian Urlacher?

Why is Ken Lucas the #4 ranked CB in the league? AND he's above Nate Clements.

SHELDON BROWN in the Top 10 CB list? Good one.

I'm not impressed with the list

I have to disagree with this list. What is Roy Williams doing in the top 10 when Sean Taylor is better than him? No Cornelius Griffin? No Springs?

On another topic, did you read some of the message board? There are a lot of Ravens fans that thintk they're Super Bowl bound. :laugh:

Archived