Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TSN: They've warmed up; now they must put up

bubba9497

They've warmed up; now they must put up

By Vinnie Iyer

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/experts/vinnie-iyer/20050531.html

Thanks to a bit of chance with Philip Rivers holding out, Drew Brees made the most of his last best chance with the Chargers last season.

This season, a new bunch of disappointing young offensive players are entering the put-up-or-be-shut-out portions of their careers. Here are six face judgments on the 2005 docket.

Joey Harrington, QB, Lions

Prosecution: Despite having good young receivers, a good running back and a good line around him, Harrington has not displayed the poise and skills needed to thrive in Steve Mariucci's West Coast offense.

Defense: A high-character player, Harrington has the smarts to turn things around quickly.

Verdict: The Lions need a quarterback who is ready to make good on their playoff potential. Given his experience playing for Mariucci, backup Jeff Garcia might be a better option.

Patrick Ramsey, QB, Redskins

Prosecution: He has a strong arm, but his intangibles need considerable work.

Defense: The team's decision last year to sign and start Mark Brunell was a big blow to Ramsey's confidence and development.

Verdict: Ramsey will be playing for a shot at a job elsewhere. In Washington, he's only a stopgap until first-rounder Jason Campbell takes over.

Kevan Barlow, RB, 49ers

Prosecution: As the team's feature back last season, he produced only two 100-yard rushing games and was an uninspired bust.

Defense: He received little help from a bad line and an inconsistent passing game.

Verdict: First-year coach Mike Nolan has the challenge of lighting a fire under Barlow. If the spark doesn't take, don't be surprised if rookie Frank Gore gets plenty of playing time.

William Green, RB, Browns

Prosecution: Off-field troubles and overall inconsistency have put the 2002 first-round pick on thin ice with the Browns.

Defense: The Browns haven't exactly been a stable team to play for, and health issues have limited Green.

Verdict: Green will show more for new coach Romeo Crennel, but that won't be good enough to help him beat out Lee Suggs and Reuben Droughns.

Koren Robinson, WR, Seahawks

Prosecution: It's hard to drop the case against him when he drops ball after ball and gets lost in routes.

Defense: Robinson has great speed and poses a dangerous downfield threat.

Verdict: Catch him while you can because if he can't catch the ball more consistently, this season will be his last in Seattle.

The Jury's No Longer Out: This just in: Robinson got into more trouble off the field this week and made my verdict a moot point -- and now he will need to face the music of the "real" court and the NFL's disciplinary action as a former Seahawk. He is really on his last best chance now.

Leonard Davis, T, Cardinals

Prosecution: At 6-6, 384, he should be more intimidating to pass rushers.

Defense: Davis has been shuffled between guard and tackle, and the linemen around him also have been moving parts.

Verdict: Davis never will be the dominant player some thought he could be, but he finally will stay put and make his way as a solid left tackle.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Patrick Ramsey, QB, Redskins

Prosecution: He has a strong arm, but his intangibles need considerable work.

Defense: The team's decision last year to sign and start Mark Brunell was a big blow to Ramsey's confidence and development.

Verdict: Ramsey will be playing for a shot at a job elsewhere. In Washington, he's only a stopgap until first-rounder Jason Campbell takes over.

Are they serious? Patrick has no future in DC after 2005?!?! I could understand this statement in mid-November, but geez it's just June. How about we see how he plays this season.

Am I the only one who thinks if Ramsey started every game last season we would have made the playoffs?

The reason we went out and got Brunnel was because the coach didn't want to start Ramsey the 3rd year almost rookie. So now all of a sudden he will let the almost rookie Campbell start in his second season in 06?

The more I read crap like this the more I respect some of our extremeskins membership. I can think of over 2 dozen posters from here that are far more knowledgeable and entertaining then these a$$ clowns.:2cents:

Originally posted by SlinginSammy HOF '63

Are they serious? Patrick has no future in DC after 2005?!?! I could understand this statement in mid-November, but geez it's just June. How about we see how he plays this season.

yeah there's no use for him to suit up. he could as well just get his suit case ready and tell Rod Gardner to leave that seat open next to him on the plane heading out of town.:doh:

Who anticipated Doug Williams and Mark Rypien leading the Redskins to the Super Bowl when Jay Schroeder threw for 4,109 yards in 1985? :)

The truth is there is nothing so certain as the conclusion this article comes to in re Ramsey.

His performance in 2005 IS the difference maker. No one can tell me that a 3,500 yard season and playoff berth for the Skins means that Ramsey is going to be thrown out the back door like yesterday's garbage :)

Ramsey was given the chance to start every game last year and he blew it! It was called Training Camp.;)

And who can forget his performance against the Giants, coming off the bench for the injured Boonell!:puke:

Is it any wonder that Cambell is now a Redskin and Ramsey is relegated to stop gap status? I think not.

If Ramsey can play an inspired 2005 season, so much the better for all of us but there is more than a little reason to think that he will be playing in another color in a year or two.:helmet:

Originally posted by SamSneed36

Isnt Ramsey the one that came in for the second half of the first Giants game and threw three picks?

Yes, but we didn't move the ball until he came in. One pick he threw was a hail mary, I believe to rap up the first half. He came in and looked clueless, but we lost 20-14 and I feel we could've won had he played the whole game. Better yet had he started the season.

Am I the only one who thinks if Ramsey started every game last season we would have made the playoffs?

I don't know if Ramsey would have done much better. He looked lost in training camp, kept shooting his foot in the Giants game.

That being said, I think it is a bit early to say that Ramsey is gone. We haven't seen how he's reacted to a second season under Gibbs, and reacted to being handed the job. He knows there is a deadline to prove himself as a starter in this league.

Jason

Ramsey may end up being a stopgap even if he does have a great season.

As far as I understand, his contract is up after this year, which would make for a difficult decision for both Patrick and Coach Gibbs.

If JG sees Jason Campbell as ready for next season, or even ready in a year or two, Ramsey will know that even if he does get an extension, it is not likey to be a long one. And if they offer Patrick a multi-year new contract, what would that say about their hopes for J Campbell?

Would Ramsey want to stay if he has an incredible year and is only offered a short term contract?

A complex situation (if I am right about the contract), but at worst it seems JG was planning for any outcome by drafting a quarterback he likes this year, give him at least a year to watch, etc. etc. At least there won't be a freakout if PR has a bad year; the plan of action will be clear.

Without meaning to, the fool who wrote the article may be right about the outcome; at this point, I can only choose to ignore the crass and spiteful way he chose to get there.

That being said, GO PATRICK! and GO SKINS!

The thing the mediots tend to overlook is that last year we lost our starting right tackle before the season even started. This alone spelled the doom of the Redskin offense in 04. Without a power O-line, our running game never got started and we were left trying to make comebacks when teams knew we would be passing. Ramsey played about as well as he could given Gibbs offense and the lack of a power running game.

The Skins defense was the pleasant suprise last year, setting us up for a promising bid in 2005. With the ball control offense and the amount of skill and confidence the D will provide there is high hope that this team makes a playoff appearance. In addition, the NFC is ripe for the picking. Near as I can tell there are only two teams (eagles and Falcons) who should be considered better odds to win the NFC crown next year. Any media moron who says anything different is buying into the whole "Snyder curse" and omitting to recognize that a Hall of Fame coach eventually will make all the difference.

Archived