Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT : Taylor to possibly lose 9 million?

dfbovey

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

TAYLOR COULD BE OUT $9 MILLION

Kellen Winslow and Sean Taylor have a lot in common. Both are former standouts at the University of Miami. Both were selected in the upper reaches of the 2004 draft, with Taylor going fifth and Winslow going sixth. Both have been controversial, to say the least, during their short stays in the NFL.

And it now appears that both could end up losing, in theory, more than $9 million in bonus money.

Winslow's well-documented motorcycle accident has put him in clear breach of his contract, and essentially at the mercy of the Cleveland Browns. Now, Taylor's arrest for aggravated assault with a firearm, which could entail a mandatory minimum sentence of three years in jail, could cause Taylor to lose $9.02 million, if Taylor is incarcerated in 2006.

We've obtained a copy of Taylor's contract. He received an initial signing bonus of $7.2 million, all of which has been paid. He also pocketed an option bonus earlier this year in the amount of $4.475 million, $1.0925 million of which was paid on April 1, 2005, and the balance of which is due on April 1, 2006. Finally, the contract contains a second option bonus due in April 2006, with a value of $640,000.

Per the contract, Taylor is required to refund a portion of each of these three payments if "he fails or refuses to practice or play with Club at any time for any reason whatsoever (including, but not limited to, voluntary retirement and incarceration)." (Emphasis added.) For a default occurring in 2006, which as a practical matter looks to be the earliest year in which Taylor would be locked up due to these charges, Taylor would lose a total of $9.02 million. If Taylor is able to stretch the proceedings (and the commencement of his incarceration) into 2007, he would forfeit up to $7.965 million.

The difference between Winslow and Taylor is that Winslow's default occurred pursuant to arguably sympathetic circumstances, since he almost, you know, died. In contract, there's nothing sympathetic about Taylor's predicament, and the team probably will be far less inclined to cut a break for a guy who has been dissing its Hall of Fame head coach for the balance of the offseason.

Taylor's best bet, then, will be to try to negotiate some type of a plea deal that allows him to spend the next offseason or two (or three) in prison while he still is allowed to leave for mandatory minicamps, training camp, and the season. If he instead takes a chance on a trial, he puts not only at least three years of his liberty in liberty in jeopardy, but also more than $9 million in earned money.

Originally posted by ciresolstice

oh man so he holds out to get a new contract, then does some dumb bone head thing, and possibly stands to lose 9mil in the process. hmmmmm. way to work things. heh

Stole the words RIGHT out of my mouth!

(I want those words back and will be at your house brandishing guns and throwing punches soon.) :)

The funny thing in all this? Rosenhaus was holding him in Florida to get him a new contract with more money and there's a strong possibility he's gonna' wind up losing money. Hope Rosenhaus recognizes the irony in all this.

Nick

I like the idea of the plea deal where he goes to camp and plays the season, and then sits in the slammer for the offseasons. As much as I dislike taylor, I want him playing...but I wouldn't want him to get off scot-free or with just a slap on the wrist. This idiot has clearly never been taught a real lesson before, and its high-time he gets punished for something. I think this deal would be the best of both worlds.

Originally posted by RedskinzOwnU

I like the idea of the plea deal where he goes to camp and plays the season, and then sits in the slammer for the offseasons. As much as I dislike taylor, I want him playing...but I wouldn't want him to get off scot-free or with just a slap on the wrist. This idiot has clearly never been taught a real lesson before, and its high-time he gets punished for something. I think this deal would be the best of both worlds.

That is the one part of the article I will call bullsh!t on.....I can't believe that a deal like that would or could be made. Unless its been done in the past and I'm unfamiliar with the situation. This isn't "The Replacements" after all....this is real life!

pass the jelly confirms

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2077537

Pasquarelli_Len_35.jpg

Citing his weekend arrest on gun-related charges, the Washington Redskins on Monday excused second-year safety Sean Taylor from the balance of the team's offseason voluntary workouts and also from a mandatory June 17-19 mini-camp.

Taylor

Club officials, league sources said, also began reviewing Taylor's contract to assess the possibilities of either recovering or withholding payments if the 2004 first-round draft choice misses either part or all of the 2005 season as a result of his legal entanglements.

The Redskins are scheduled to report for summer training camp on July 31 with the first practice slated for the next day.

"As an organization, we feel it's better for Sean to concentrate on these personal issues and hopefully get this squared away for him," team president and head coach Joe Gibbs said in a statement. "Everyone here is aware of the situation involving Sean Taylor this past week in Miami. The league has a personal conduct policy that governs this type of situation and we will be discussing the matter with league officials. All questions regarding the League's Personal Conduct Policy should be directed to the league office.

"With that in mind, we have informed Sean's agent that, as of today, Sean is excused from participating in the remainder of the club's voluntary offseason workout program and the upcoming mandatory mini-camp beginning on June 17. As an organization, the Redskins believe that it is in Sean's best interest to focus on his personal and legal issues at this time."

Taylor, the fifth player chosen overall in the 2004 draft and a starter in 13 games his rookie season, has skipped all of the Redskins offseason workouts to date. It is speculated that the former University of Miami star is seeking to have his contract upgraded, but Gibbs noted last week he did not believe Taylor's absence was contract-related.

That said, Taylor has not returned Gibbs' phone calls the entire offseason. The Redskins organization was said, even before Taylor's arrest, to be upset with the lack of communication.

As part of his seven-year contract, which has a base value of about $18 million and a maximum value of $40 million, according to NFL Players Association documents, Taylor was to earn $13.045 million in signing, roster and option bonuses. It is believed that Taylor has received $9.022 million of that bonus total to date. A league sources said that Taylor's contract does include "certain default language" that would permit the team to seek "a readjustment" to the deal if the Redskins are deprived of his services.

Taylor was released on bond Saturday after he was was arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a firearm.

Taylor was accompanied by defense attorney Fred Moldovan when he surrendered on charges of aggravated assault with a firearm and simple battery, police said.

According to a police statement, Taylor pointed a gun at an unidentified person Wednesday during a dispute over two all-terrain vehicles he claimed were stolen. Taylor left the scene but returned about 10 minutes later and punched one person.

Another man, Charles Elwood Caughman, threatened and chased another victim with a baseball bat, police said. Caughman, 19, was arrested later that day and charged with aggravated assault.

Quick math = Skins don't pay ST the $9 mil

Everyone attending a Skins home game during the 2006 season gets their first beer for free courtesy of ST....at each and every home game this year...including preseason.

.....and the remaining $2 mil goes to buying a real jumbotron.....or maybe a charity - Redskins against Guns......

$9 mil = 90K fans x $7 beer x 11 games = $7 mil + $2 mil jumbotron/charity....

That's a lot of money...

Originally posted by Grumpy Vet

$9 mil = 90K fans x $7 beer x 11 games = $7 mil + $2 mil jumbotron/charity....

That's a lot of money...

I've really thought about the gross sales from beer for

a game or even the season.

GV, that's not what we call a lot of money...we call it

a he11 of a lot of money. I figure that $7 mil/season

is a conservative figure.

Originally posted by GoSkinsGo

Grumpy Vet that chart is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. Nice work.

Thank you sir....to be fair....I had to truncate it more than I really wanted.....I had a couple beers - did some research and came up w/ this:

4/24/04 Skins draft Taylor

4/26/04 Taylor fires agent Rosenhaus

6/5/04 Taylor misses practice b/c of shaving cream incident

7/21/04 Taylor hires agents Mato and Moorad

7/24/04 Taylor fined $25K for missing Rookie Symposium b/c of “apartment eviction”

7/27/04 Taylor signs rookie contract w/ Skins – heavily performance based

8/3/04 Taylor Rehires Rosenhaus

9/3/04 Taylor leads NFL in preseason w/ 3 INTs & 1 TD

10/28/04 Taylor arrested for DUI

10/31/04 Taylor Suspended for game vs. Packers

11/14/04 Taylor allegedly spits on Houzawatzit – 8 tackles – 1 INT

11/21/04 Taylor is fined $10K fine for an elbow to TO’s head / 15 yards

11/28/04 Taylor penalized 15 yards - unnecessary roughness vs Pittsburgh – 9 tackles

12/5/04 Taylor fined $7,500 for hitting Manning / 15 yards

12/7/04 Taylor is fined $5,000 for wearing red socks

12/14/04 Taylor is fined $5,000 for wearing red socks

12/26/04 Taylor produces 6 Solo Tackles & 1 Forced Fumble vs. Cowboys

1/2/05 Taylor’s 1st season = 76 tackles (59 solo), 2 forced fumbles, 4 INTS

4/12/05 Taylor is a no-show for Voluntary workouts

5/17/05 Taylor is the only unexcused Redskin for voluntary practices

6/1/05 Taylor allegedly is involved in a shooting in Florida

6/4/05 Taylor turns himself in to Miami-Dade Police

6/5/05 Taylor still not returning Gibbs calls

It was interesting to do.....maybe spent an hour or two on Google. I think graphically it shows that it has been a year of highs and lows......definitely busy...

Originally posted by riggins44

I've really thought about the gross sales from beer for

a game or even the season.

GV, that's not what we call a lot of money...we call it

a he11 of a lot of money. I figure that $7 mil/season

is a conservative figure.

Yes sir....I'm figuring the $7 mil is only buying 1 beer for every fan for every game during the 11 home games.

I have no idea what the season take on beer is. I've thought about that as well. Maybe 50% of the fans have beer at the stadium? The fans I sit around every game would be higher than that ratio. I'm guessing the Champagne Club is less. So let's say 50% buy at least one beer at every game. How many beers do they buy? I do most of my embibing at the tailgate 4 hours before.....but still manage to have two beers a game or so (plus the non-drug munchies). Some of the guys around me have about 8 beers a piece.

Let's say that the 50% of drinking fans have 4 beers a piece....some more some less.....but average 4.

So we have 92,000 fans, half drinking an average of 4 beers at 11 games per season at $7 a piece.

$14,168,000 gross on beer for games.

This does not include draft day, concerts, playoffs or any other special events. Not bad - but I'm sure the net profit on alcohol is very low......The Danny probably does not get a bulk discount on bottles.....poor guy....I feel bad for him.

Archived