Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs may use Shotgun (not ST related)

skinsfan12

No not ST...

Redskins | Shotgun will Help - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 4 Jun 2005 15:52:37 -0700

David Aldridge, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports the Washington Redskins seem committed to using the shotgun formation at times on offense during the 2005 season. Head coach Joe Gibbs resisted the formation for years. QB Patrick Ramsey is excited by the use of the formation because he was under constant pressure last season. "I love it," Ramsey said during the Redskins' latest organized team activity. "You can adjust and see things coming."

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Yea it would be good to have the shotgun it will give the QB more time to get the ball off. And I know Ramsey wants more time. He has been hit to many times in the past few seasons. A shotgun will make him more comfortable and give him a better season

i have a feeling that brunell botched more snaps and handoffs that led to defensive TDs last season than we will have botched shotgun snaps this season with ramsey. I mean, if you can't use the shotgun, and you can't even snap under center properly, what does that leave you with? :)

Originally posted by RedskinzOwnU

i have a feeling that brunell botched more snaps and handoffs that led to defensive TDs last season than we will have botched shotgun snaps this season with ramsey. I mean, if you can't use the shotgun, and you can't even snap under center properly, what does that leave you with? :)

Direct snaps to the runningback. Cut out the middle man entirely. ;)

Ramsey should do well with the shotgun. If you remember, he played in it to the point during college that entering the pros his biggest challenge as a QB was learning the proper drops and HOW to drop. Ramsey playing facing the defense should help with his decision making and recognition, which, at times was so poor last year -- in particular the Giants game he played and the Bengals game he played -- that Gibbs had to dial back things to keep every other pass from hitting defenders in the chest.

Ramsey has been quoted as saying he has a hard time in an offense like this where he has to trust the receiver to make the same read he makes and throw the ball before cuts are made. Playing in the shotgun will help him because he won't have to deal as quickly with what the defense is doing up front and he has an additional couple of seconds to take in what's going on.

Watching Ramsey's play from last year you can see how hamstrug the offense was and how afraid Gibbs was to let him turn it loose. But, when he did turn it loose, it can be a very pretty thing. In the intermediate passing game Ramsey has a great deal of accuracy and the ability to drill it in. If we get a greater portion of those plays this year, and Ramsey can limit some of his weaknesses by playing in the shotgun some, he could really have a year where he shows he's a legitimate starting QB.

He's not shown that yet. He's just shown some flashes of being someone very good. That's not enough.

I have always been a fan of the shotgun,of course it places a great deal of responsibility on the center. It gives a QB much more time to read the coverages and avoid the blitz.

The title was good for a laugh once I figured out what ST was :D ...Still trying to wake up,sorry

Archived