Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible use of 3-4 defense.

GRiggs

Does anybody else see Gregg Williams possibly using a 3-4 defensive scheme at some points during the season? I think we have the personel to do so, with the four Lbs. being: LaVar, Washington, Holdman (who is a good pash rusher), and Lemar. In addition, we have Chris Clemons who came on like a beast late last season. I think this will help put our most athletic guys on the field all at once in spot situations. Just a thougt I had... Lemme know what ya'll think of it.

Gregg Williams is a smart guy, and he finds all sorts of creative ways to use his players. I doubt he'll use the 3-4 as the standard set for the defense, but I'm sure there'll be a 3-4 package in there, even if it only sees limited use.

Any reason you left McCune out of the linebacker list?

my bad, i forgot about McCune. I'm excited to see what he'll do next year on defense and on special teams. I can't wait to see him run full speed at JR. Reid and whatever garbage the Iggles have returning kicks for them.

And all of our linebackers are so versitle, any of them can play outside linebacker, and they all have gone through at least one position switch in the last season or so.

Just imagine lining up as a 3-4 at the line of scrimmage... But then Marcus and Lavar switch sides right before the snap, or all four move to the outside for a pure pass rush while the three defensive linemen all squeeze to the inside.

I imagine Gregg will have a field day with this linebacking core, confusing the bajeezus out of offensive coordinators.

For obvious passing downs, I'd really like to see Williams break out something similar to what NE did last season with no true d-linemen on the field.

Maybe keep Griff on the field, but also throw in Washington, Arrington, Clemons; and Holdman/Marshall/McCune(take your pick), and an appropriate number of DBs for the WR he expects.

There's so many options we have when we have LBs who can pass rush very very well; "Who's gonna blitz, who's gonna drop into coverage?" kind of thing

The only thing I don't like about that idea is that the Cowboys are already switching to a 3-4 and it makes us look late to the party..:D

Seriously, I think it would be good to mix things up a bit now and now.

Also, I think we have a better group of LB's to run the 3-4 than Dallas does. AND I told my co-worker, who is a Cowboy fan this, and believe it or not...he agreed! :)

most teams use the 3-4, most teams also use the 4-3. We've done it in the past and we'll do it in the future. Just because the cowboys are switching to 3-4 does not mean every play will use that configuration, same with us using 4-3. No team uses one formation exclusively, so labeling a defense with these terms is somewhat misleading.

Originally posted by RonJeremy

Also, I think we have a better group of LB's to run the 3-4 than Dallas does. AND I told my co-worker, who is a Cowboy fan this, and believe it or not...he agreed! :)

Not too far off to suggest that the Skins have a better LB core than Dallas right now especially considering Ware and Burnett are unproven. I wouldn't argue that.. although I do think Lavar is a bit overated and I'd give Dallas the edge on the defensive line.

Originally posted by nace14

we don't have a true nose guard to fill all the gaps. we'd give up 175 yards on the ground a game. we'll only do it on passing downs where we blitz to open rush lanes.

Thank you. It's amazing how so many people believe that having 4 talented LB's is the automatic recipe for a 3-4 defense.

we don't have a true nose guard to fill all the gaps. we'd give up 175 yards on the ground a game. we'll only do it on passing downs where we blitz to open rush lanes.

I disagree. I think Griffin is a serviceable enough player who could fit the NT position just fine. Now the positions that we're rather lacking in for a great 3-4 defense is on the defensive end side (both of them). Wynn and Daniels just don't fit that kind of scheme. Our LBs would work out just fine though.

Originally posted by Redskins4Life

I disagree. I think Griffin is a serviceable enough player who could fit the NT position just fine. Now the positions that we're rather lacking in for a great 3-4 defense is on the defensive end side (both of them). Wynn and Daniels just don't fit that kind of scheme. Our LBs would work out just fine though.

Sorry but i'm going to have to laugh at that notion. i love griffin and his intensity, but he is far away from playing a zero tech in a 3-4. in a 3-4 that nose has to take up space from guard to guard. there are not that many players who can do that. that is why a lot of teams use a 3-4 but only a few succeed with it.

griffin is a fiesty gap shooting DT. a nose in a 3-4 has to play into the center and work laterally. that is not griff's game, and if you try to have him do that, he'll get exploited.

Sorry but i'm going to have to laugh at that notion. i love griffin and his intensity, but he is far away from playing a zero tech in a 3-4. in a 3-4 that nose has to take up space from guard to guard. there are not that many players who can do that. that is why a lot of teams use a 3-4 but only a few succeed with it.

griffin is a fiesty gap shooting DT. a nose in a 3-4 has to play into the center and work laterally. that is not griff's game, and if you try to have him do that, he'll get exploited.

I agree.....Noble is closer to being an NG than Griffin

I think the comings and goings of personnel offset each other (Pierce, Smoot vs return of Lavar, Daniels, and Bowen, Rogers, Holdman, another year of Taylor)

So if it aint broke dont fix it.

Exactly, Griffen would be a DE in the 3-4 we would need like a Ted Washington, type: a big NT 330lbs or so that can stuff the gaps on either side of the center and we currently dont posses one of those on the roster...

Originally posted by Mickalino

Thank you. It's amazing how so many people believe that having 4 talented LB's is the automatic recipe for a 3-4 defense.

amen.

we are deep at linebacker, but our dl personnel will not allow to run a 3-4 as a base set. almost every team will run at least some sort of a variation of it in certain circumstances, and we'll be no different. williams mixes it up enough that we will see it from time to time, but no way will the 3-4 be our base D. :2cents:

Archived