Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Improved Rush Defense...(Shoutout)

Renegade7

Do believe the turn around in run defense is for real???  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe turn around in run defense is for real??

• Yes
    • No
    • Too early

Last year our run defense was ranked dead last in the NFL.  This year we just held the number running team to under 100 yards, and we won.  I'm sure this win will get picked apart anyway, some people still want to get rid of Jay, but can we just take two seconds to give props to the total turnaround in our run defense? 

It's ranked 6th right now and huge reason we still have a winning record despite our struggles on offense.  I don't want this to get lost in another thread and fine with it getting closed, but i just want to take a minute to show some love to something we have finally gotten right for a change.  We owe our season so far with the obsession with addressing this.

Just now, httrcirca87 said:

I believe it's real. We've played a couple of solid rushing teams in a new Orleans and the panthers. We played the run pretty well in both games. The pass rush still leaves much to be desired though.

Ya, pash rush has really shocked me.  Kinda why I wanted to make a separate thread from the front 7 one as while that's disappointing, I'm ecstatic this looks to be going in right direction. 

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Out of curiosity, what are you looking for?

Well, we started the year giving up 4.5 yards per carry, which was 31st. The ONLY reason we were not last in yards is because for some reasons, teams where not running the ball much against us. It's gotten a little better since then, but once again, it's not like teams seem to be trying to run much against us. Because when they do, they have been for the most part, effective.

Yeah, but lets be honest.....Carolina barely called any runs after getting behind.  I don't think you can make any grand pronouncements about how the rushing D did today. 

As Chris Russell pointed out, the special teams may have well been the unit that won this one today. 

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Well, we started the year giving up 4.5 yards per carry, which was 31st. The ONLY reason we were not last in yards is because for some reasons, teams where not running the ball much against us. It's gotten a little better since then, but once again, it's not like teams seem to be trying to run much against us. Because when they do, they have been for the most part, effective.

Huh? Define effective. You call 68 yards total and David Johnson with 4.1 ypc effective?  There's like 8-9 teams allowing between 3.9 and 4.1 ypc, but we let Orleans Dakwa rush for 154 yards in our finally, we still haven't allowed a 100 yards rusher yet.

We held panthers starting running back to 2.1 ypc, again, what are you looking for before you believe they finally turned it around?  

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Huh? Define effective. You call 68 yards total and David Johnson with 4.1 ypc effective?  There's like 8-9 teams allowing between 3.9 and 4.1 ypc, but we let Orleans Dakwa rush for 154 yards in our finally, we still haven't allowed a 100 yards rusher yet.

We held panthers starting running back to 2.1 ypc, again, what are you looking for before you believe they finally turned it around?  

Did you even bother reading my post? Did you miss the part about giving up 4.5 yards per carry, and having teams just stop running the ball for no reason? McCaffery only got 8 carries today, that was stupid.

What am I looking for? Do it on a consistent basis. Stop a few 3rd and ones. Stop people on goal to go situation, instead of getting moved off the line 3 yards.

10 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Yeah, but lets be honest.....Carolina barely called any runs after getting behind.  I don't think you can make any grand pronouncements about how the rushing D did today. 

As Chris Russell pointed out, the special teams may have well been the unit that won this one today. 

Omg, really?  Running the football is literally their identity. It was 17-6 at halftime, its not we were up 30.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Did you even bother reading my post? Did you miss the part about giving up 4.5 yards per carry, and having teams just stop running the ball for no reason? McCaffery only got 8 carries today, that was stupid.

What am I looking for? Do it on a consistent basis. Stop a few 3rd and ones. Stop people on goal to go situation, instead of getting moved off the line 3 yards.

I did read your post, no one stops to the run everytime.  You need to go back and look at the box score for the cardinals game, they dominated David Johnson, most yards are from different running back. 

Box score of Saints is similar, both Ingram and Kamara coolant do much of anything against us.  Did you forget where guys regularly ripped off huge runs against us?  Look at the longs of the box scores, that's not happening anymore. 

Team's don't stop running the ball for ko reason, they stop when they either need to pass more or the running game is so ineffective that running for sake or running is killing drives.  Our offense did that all year last year, please stop acting like if these team just stuck with the run we'd be in last place again, because that's what you around like right now.

5 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

The 4.5 is not about rush defense. It's about QB scrambles. When Carolina called running plays, the Redskins were quite effective. The only decent running plays Carolina pulled off were some option plays albeit they had two nice 8 yard runs on their first drive. Overall though, we shut 'em down.

Part of that was limited opportunities, but part of it was their run game was ineffective. Same thing with the Saints. The reasons New Orleans stuck with the passing game despite having Ingraham and Kalamara deep into the fourth quarter despite a huge lead was that the 'skins were actually shutting down the Saint's run. We sucked at everything else that day, but we looked great against their runners.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Team's don't stop running the ball for ko reason, they stop when they either need to pass more or the running game is so ineffective that running for sake or running is killing drives.  Our offense did that all year last year, please stop acting like if these team just stuck with the run we'd be in last place again, because that's what you around like right now.

Renegade, McCaffrey ran the ball four times on the first drive for 9, 8, 0 and 1 yards.

The next time he touched the ball on a run was when the Panthers were pinned back on their own 3 at the end of the first half, and gained 2 yards on 2 carries.

I have no idea why the Panthers completely abandoned the run today. Maybe they felt like they could beat the Skins more through the air, and Newton did have a very good day...…..except for his beach ball (WTF) that Norman snagged, and at the end of the game after getting to our 15. 

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

The 4.5 is not about rush defense. It's about QB scrambles. When Carolina called running plays, the Redskins were quite effective. The only decent running plays Carolina pulled off were some option plays albeit they had two nice 8 yard runs on their first drive. Overall though, we shut 'em down.

Part of that was limited opportunities, but part of it was their run game was ineffective. Same thing with the Saints. The reasons New Orleans stuck with the passing game despite having Ingraham and Kalamara deep into the fourth quarter despite a huge lead was that the 'skins were actually shutting down the Saint's run. We sucked at everything else that day, but we looked great against their runners.

/facepalm

The 4.5 ypc is what we were giving up in the first 3 games of the year. I said it has gotten better since, but it still was not good. We still get moved out in short yardage. I need to see much more before calling this a good run stopping team.

27 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Or maybe the Panthers fell behind because they couldn't get the run game going. :)

The defense held them to 80 yards rushing.

The offense moved the ball with 140 yards rushing.

The special teams made plays.

Sounds like a team effort to me :)

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Part of that was limited opportunities, but part of it was their run game was ineffective. 

So after we shut the Panthers down on TWO runs on their first drive after they gained 9 and 8 on the first two runs, they said "welp, not going to be able to run on these guys?"

Alrighty then...…….

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Looks like it.

And it is completely inexplicable.

Their O-coordinator is the same guy who was our much-reviled head coach during the 90s.  I will lay the lack of more running attempts at Norv's feet, but more out of being pass happy and not because he had enough of a sample size to conclude that they weren't going to be able to run on us. If he did based on four runs, he is a moron. But again, I will allow Cam had a good passing game. 

10 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Renegade, McCaffrey ran the ball four times on the first drive for 9, 8, 0 and 1 yards.

The next time he touched the ball on a run was when the Panthers were pinned back on their own 3 at the end of the first half, and gained 2 yards on 2 carries.

I have no idea why the Panthers completely abandoned the run today. Maybe they felt like they could beat the Skins more through the air, and Newton did have a very good day...…..except for his beach ball (WTF) that Norman snagged, and at the end of the game after getting to our 15. 

So Panthers jus went straight stupid on us and that's why we won?  How may times we seen guys get 8-10 carries and still RIP us apart? McCaffery ended with 2.5 ypc.  It's like were defending other team more then our own because were so mad at them, it doesn't make sense.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So Panthers jus went straight stupid on us and that's why we won?  How may times we seen guys get 8-10 carries and still RIP us apart? McCaffery ended with 2.5 ypc.  It's like were defending other team more then our own because were so mad at them, it doesn't make sense.

Honestly Renegade, weren't you watching that game in the first half and scratching your head wondering why Carolina wasn't running the ball more?

Again, McCaff ran it four times on that first drive for 19 yards. . Yes, we did hold him to a combined yard on the last two carries of that drive, but then the next time he ran it was with two minutes left in the first half. Carolina had four possessions in between where McCaff did not get a rushing attempt. That is odd. 

4 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Honestly Renegade, weren't you watching that game in the first half and scratching your head wondering why Carolina wasn't running the ball more?

Again, McCaff ran it four times on that first drive for 19 yards. . Yes, we did hold him to a combined yard on the last two carries of that drive, but then the next time he ran it was with two minutes left in the first half. Carolina had four possessions in between where McCaff did not get a rushing attempt. That is odd. 

No because if the Panthers thought that would've worked more than Cam throwing 40 times, I know they would've done that.  That makes more sense than all the sudden Norv deciding to jus completely forget how they win games, we're 7th in defense passing yards per game. That doesn't make any sense either thinking they could light us up like they are the Saints and they arent. They are 2nd in rushing attempts. 

26 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

And it is completely inexplicable.

Their O-coordinator is the same guy who was our much-reviled head coach during the 90s.  I will lay the lack of more running attempts at Norv's feet, but more out of being pass happy and not because he had enough of a sample size to conclude that they weren't going to be able to run on us. If he did based on four runs, he is a moron. But again, I will allow Cam had a good passing game. 

Dude, Carolina is second in the NFL in rush attempts 

Archived