Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS RE-SIGN WR BRIAN QUICK, SIGN P SAM IRWIN-HILL

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

March 16, 2018

REDSKINS RE-SIGN WR BRIAN QUICK, SIGN P SAM IRWIN-HILL

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va.  The Washington Redskins announced today that they have re-signed wide receiver Brian Quick and signed punter Sam Irwin-Hill. Terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Quick (6-3, 218) originally entered the NFL as a second round pick (No. 33 overall) of the St. Louis Rams in the 2012 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 78 career regular season games with 24 starts, compiling 111 receptions for 1,575 yards with 10 receiving touchdowns.

In his first season with Washington in 2017, Quick played in 11 games with one start. He caught six passes for 76 yards, including a key 31-yard reception to jump-start the team’s game-winning drive in Week 9 at Seattle.

Quick played collegiately at Appalachian State, starting 36 of the 54 games in which he appeared for the Mountaineers. He established school career records for receptions (202), receiving yards (3,418) and receiving touchdowns (31).

Quick, 28, attended Ridge View H.S. in Columbia, S.C., where he earned all-state, all-region and all-area honors. He was born June 5, 1989.

Irwin-Hill (6-3, 210) originally entered the NFL as a college free agent with the Dallas Cowboys on April 27, 2017. He was waived by the Cowboys in September after averaging 38.3 yards on 15 punts, including five downed inside the 20, during the 2017 preseason.

Irwin-Hill played his final two collegiate seasons at Arkansas after transferring from City College of San Francisco. As a senior at Arkansas, he played in all 13 games and averaged 40.1 yards on 58 punts and also rushed twice for 74 yards including a 51-yard touchdown run.

Irwin-Hill, 27, is a native of Bendigo, Australia, and played Australian Rules Football at Catholic College of Bendigo. He was born Oct. 10, 1990.

Yeah, the punter is probably to save wear and tear on the leg during OTAs and training camp.

As for Quick, it's a head scratcher. I would have liked to see him more utilized last year esp. given the woes we had at receiver. I wonder if looking back at the tape they felt there were opportunities missed. Seems a strange signing for both sides unless he's a special teams' stud.

I would imagine it is veteran minimum with maybe some incentives on top.  They are going to need around a dozen receivers for camp and Quick is a guy who has had some success in the league and has been in the offense for 1 year already so won't need to learn the playbook.  Certainly this will make it easier on our new QB having guys in camp familiar with what Jay is teaching.

They also might have seen flashes on the tape as @Burgold says and honestly sometimes unlikely guys find they have great chemistry in camp and so it is worth seeing if he clicks with Alex early on. 

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe they brought in Hill because he's super special like that Hunter guy, and can not only punt, but also pass and receive, and score TD's.

I don't know about receive and score touchdowns, but I'm still convinced that Tress Way can be an emergency QB. He throws a mean spiral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V29rVFasBww

Archived