Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Duke Basketball 2017-2018 Thread

Elessar78

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

End of the road ...

Coach is done pretty soon. Not saying this as a hater, simply as an observer. 

Wonder how many more years he can keep it up?  Dean Smith coached until he was 66 years old, K is 70 about to turn 71.  I can't imagine him going that much longer.  2-3 more years?  Same with Roy Williams, he's 67.

Just now, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Wonder how many more years he can keep it up?  Dean Smith coached until he was 66 years old, K is 70 about to turn 71.  I can't imagine him going that much longer.  2-3 more years?  Same with Roy Williams, he's 67.

Exactly, he is at a point where...as vibrant he is about the game...he has PROVEN that he can do it all. There is a reason he never ran after the pro games but accepted going to the Olympics. 

Just now, Kosher Ham said:

Exactly, he is at a point where...as vibrant he is about the game...he has PROVEN that he can do it all. There is a reason he never ran after the pro games but accepted going to the Olympics. 

As much as I hate Duke, he is a great coach.  And I've always respected him serving our country and making sure USA basketball got back on track.  

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

Agreed. He's been better longer than many others. But hopefully he doesn't over stay, like Paterno. Wonder if they give Capel the gig next or bring in one of the other Duke alums.

10 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Yep, Capel will get the reins. Coach has a lifetime contract, so he'll probably go to the front office and keep recruiting. ?

Never know, Bobby Hurley has done wonders with AZ State this year.

18 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

It'll be Capel. Bobby has never coached at Duke. 

I don't think it would matter. Hiring committees are fans too and they're at the mercy of hype. 

Wort scenario would be if Capel was given a short leash because of the number of qualified candidates in the wings. As a fan, I don't think I need "win now". He deserves time to build his own program.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

Duke is vulnerable because of the youth, but it's early. 

They have the talent no doubt.  But they are relying on starting four freshmen and Allen, the only senior leadership on the team and he's about as mature as as a first grader.  Plus your bench, 3 points last night and only 5 for Allen.  If the bench and Grayson have a game like that in the NCAA tourny, it's going to put a lot of pressure on the freshmen and only one of them having a bad game or foul trouble and it's back home watching games from their dorm rooms.

From what I've seen from Duke this year, I could see them getting bounced in the 2nd/3rd round or making the final four/championship game.  They can beat some of the best teams in the country, but look at their losses.  Boston College, 4 of the starting 5 had good/average games, only Trent with a stellar game, bench was ok, lost.  The NC State game, Carter and Allen had imo poor games, Trent came up short, only Bagley had a stellar game, bench was horrible with 4 pts, lost.

Big question is, what happens if they don't win it all or make it to the championship and fall short.  Who stays, who enters the NBA draft.  I think it's safe to say that Bagley and Carter are gone, since Bagley is a guaranteed top 3 lottery pick and Carter is a lower lottery pick (probably 8-12).  Allen is gone because he's a senior.  Does Duval go?  He is a late first round projection.  That leaves you with Trent Jr., who I think will stay regardless of what happens.

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

They have the talent no doubt.  But they are relying on starting four freshmen and Allen, the only senior leadership on the team and he's about as mature as as a first grader.  Plus your bench, 3 points last night and only 5 for Allen.  If the bench and Grayson have a game like that in the NCAA tourny, it's going to put a lot of pressure on the freshmen and only one of them having a bad game or foul trouble and it's back home watching games from their dorm rooms.

From what I've seen from Duke this year, I could see them getting bounced in the 2nd/3rd round or making the final four/championship game.  They can beat some of the best teams in the country, but look at their losses.  Boston College, 4 of the starting 5 had good/average games, only Trent with a stellar game, bench was ok, lost.  The NC State game, Carter and Allen had imo poor games, Trent came up short, only Bagley had a stellar game, bench was horrible with 4 pts, lost.

Big question is, what happens if they don't win it all or make it to the championship and fall short.  Who stays, who enters the NBA draft.  I think it's safe to say that Bagley and Carter are gone, since Bagley is a guaranteed top 3 lottery pick and Carter is a lower lottery pick (probably 8-12).  Allen is gone because he's a senior.  Does Duval go?  He is a late first round projection.  That leaves you with Trent Jr., who I think will stay regardless of what happens.

Yeah, that's the problem nowadays with the frosh. I'd almost want second tier talent that'll stay a few years. 

Jayson Tatum just had a kid at 19. Baby mama identitiy not released—looks asian.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2018/01/13/celtics-rookie-jayson-tatum-introduces-newborn-son/kIsKxDnq47OAvcjUYSRNxL/story.html

49 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Yeah, that's the problem nowadays with the frosh. I'd almost want second tier talent that'll stay a few years. 

Yeah, that's how Roy has been doing it in the "one and done" era.  If you look at our players over the years, he seems to snag one or two 5 stars, one 4 star and some 3 stars.  Looking at the 2014 recruiting class, it was Justin Jackson (5 star), Theo Pinson (5 star) and Berry II (4 star).  Jackson bolted after we won the national championship last year.  Pinson and Berry stayed this year.  2015 recruits were one 4 star and one 3 star.  

Roy is willing to go with lower ranked 5 star players and pursue a mix of 4/3 stars that will turn into really good players.  And it's worked out.  Since the one and done era started (2006).  Both UNC and Duke have won two national championships, with UNC playing in three to Dukes two.  Goes to show that you can still compete/win with players that will stay and develop with each other over time (2-4 years).  

I looked at Duke recruiting from 2014 through 2018 and they usually have 3-4 five stars and a couple of four stars every year, ranking in the top 5 in recruiting (compared to UNC being in the lower to mid teens around #15).  On paper, they should be winning national championships or playing in them all the time, same with Kentucky.  

Archived