Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chalk Talk w/Doc - any other STH's going?

Skinsfan1311

pretty fun night for the most part other than the little kids LOL

the night didn't start out well in my opinion when Doc said "who here has a problem with a recent development that no one here has a clue about what happened?" Doc got his mandated line from management in early.

28 minutes ago, Redskin21502 said:

pretty fun night for the most part other than the little kids LOL

the night didn't start out well in my opinion when Doc said "who here has a problem with a recent development that no one here has a clue about what happened?" Doc got his mandated line from management in early.

Oof. That's a bad look. 

6 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Oof. That's a bad look. 

Nah, he got that out of the way and, it seemed to me, that he said whatever he wanted.  Everybody did raise their hand when he said it. I think his statement was more to keep it from being a 2-hrs ****-fest.  Save that for the Bruce Allen talk.

Doc was very entertaining, opinionated and passionate about the team. He's clearly a Homer, which isn't a bad thing, but he pulled no punches concerning the piss-poor defensive play, and the lack of scoring in the red zone. His take, is that coaches get too cute with fancy play-calling.  I loved the way he broke down the defense, and I'm paraphrasing him here, "tackle the guy with the ball! It ain't  brain surgery!"  

The other players were Maurice Harris and Niles Paul. They had a Q&A session which was cool. Someone asked about all those fades, and why they keep calling them when they don't work. Paul defended the fades, and said that they're good plays that will work with this receiving corps, given they're all big guys. He implied that they'll be more successful with them this season because of the size of the WR's. 

Paul is a cool dude, and was entertaining with some of his comments. He seems passionate, and loves being a Redskin. I hope he stays healthy, he's big, fast and will do anything that the team asks, WR, TE, ST's, HB. He's a baller.

Mo Harris was kinda quiet at first, but opened up and, as the night wore on. I like this kid and can't wait to see what more he can do, as he gets more opportunities.  

Overall, it was enjoyable, the food was surprisingly good, and it was a fun way to spend a couple of hours. It was definitely worth the paltry 100 rewards points for my wife and I.

That's my take on the evening. I'm not really good at describing these things, so maybe my ES brethren who attended can add to, correct, or give their take on the evening. If nothing else, I got Doc to autograph my helmet :)

Skins Fan, I agree with you. I think the Doc thing at the start was to try to keep it from being a ****ing fest for 2hrs. I was in the front. I will say the kids at the start were cute, but it went on for to long. I also think Doc talked for 2 long at the start. He went for almost 30 mins. We only have 1.5 hours with the players. And with everything like this it takes a few questions to get going. I did love Doc's insight on everything, I felt like he was very open. 

The Food was much better than last year. A real buffet. Free sodas. No free Beer and Wine like last year, 

One of the First questions asked was about Kirk, very quick answers by both, I want to play with Kirk and I hope they get it worked out.

I asked Niles about how the transition from WR to TE went. I learned he got asked by Shanny to move to TE or Safety. Said he had not played Safety since Highschool and want to still catch and score TDs. Was told he need to gain about 15 pounds before he reported. He said after that it was a pretty easy transition. He stated he didnt think I lot of people knew about that. I thought that was a well know thing. I didnt know about the safety part.

I agree Mo was a little shy at first, I think my question opened him up a little, when he realized we actually knew who he was. I asked him about his emotions after his first catch on a big 3rd down conversion.He said he thought he was going to get the ball and then it was like ok, dont drop it kinda thing. And then now what with ball, ok give it to the ref. 

I talked with Lisa, the head of the rewards program. They are really trying to make the rewards program a full year thing. She says that people really get the experiences on game day and the autograph stuff. Last year events was more for the premium members, but if rewards members wanted to go they could use the yards. She said that is why it was so low this year, was to get a lot of people out and talking about it. I would say it was easily 150 people.

I will say all in all I was a great night.   

My daughter and her boyfriend were there. They were also in the front beside the young kids. She said it was really nice. Good food. Good night out. Free food was good. Overall, a nice perk for STH at a great value. Well done Lisa and Bria!!

It was generally enjoyable. I only have one thing to add. The announcement said, " Autographs following the Chalk Talk are permitted – one item per person".

The friend I wanted to bring couldn't make it because of some major surgery. So I thought it would be a nice gesture to ask for an autograph on a get well card for him. After the Q&A, I looked around for where they were going to do the autographs so I could get towards the front of the line. "That's funny," I thought, "They don't really seem to be set up to do autographs anywhere." One of the PR people made an announcement about getting pictures taken with the players. I asked her about autographs. She said, "I don't know." Then she looked around, got a look on her face like, "We don't really seem to be set up to do autographs anywhere," and said, "No autographs."

Anyway, I wish this was the first time I got the feeling, "This organization is making it up as it's going along."

33 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

It was generally enjoyable. I only have one thing to add. The announcement said, " Autographs following the Chalk Talk are permitted – one item per person".

The friend I wanted to bring couldn't make it because of some major surgery. So I thought it would be a nice gesture to ask for an autograph on a get well card for him. After the Q&A, I looked around for where they were going to do the autographs so I could get towards the front of the line. "That's funny," I thought, "They don't really seem to be set up to do autographs anywhere." One of the PR people made an announcement about getting pictures taken with the players. I asked her about autographs. She said, "I don't know." Then she looked around, got a look on her face like, "We don't really seem to be set up to do autographs anywhere," and said, "No autographs."

Anyway, I wish this was the first time I got the feeling, "This organization is making it up as it's going along."

Doc was signing autographs, but it wasn't too organized.  Mrs. Skinsfan and I walked up to him, and he was posing for pics and signing stuff.  My wife got a pic taken with him, and I did too.  He signed my helmet.   I brought along a Redskins Maker's Mark bottle to get signed, but decided not to ask, because I didn't want to take up too much of his time.  He was pretty gracious about signing and posing for pics.

MeAndDoc.jpg

I'm glad that worked out with the autographs. Doc and the current players all seemed really nice, so I'm not surprised they were accommodating. I was just peeved to the point where I was going to be in a bad mood trying to get autographs after being told "no". I am sending my friend the card with pictures and a letter containing the Mike Nelms story, which I'm sure he will appreciate.

On 3/16/2017 at 8:57 AM, just654 said:

Skins Fan, I agree with you. I think the Doc thing at the start was to try to keep it from being a ****ing fest for 2hrs. I was in the front. I will say the kids at the start were cute, but it went on for to long. I also think Doc talked for 2 long at the start. He went for almost 30 mins. We only have 1.5 hours with the players. And with everything like this it takes a few questions to get going. I did love Doc's insight on everything, I felt like he was very open. 

The Food was much better than last year. A real buffet. Free sodas. No free Beer and Wine like last year, 

One of the First questions asked was about Kirk, very quick answers by both, I want to play with Kirk and I hope they get it worked out.

I asked Niles about how the transition from WR to TE went. I learned he got asked by Shanny to move to TE or Safety. Said he had not played Safety since Highschool and want to still catch and score TDs. Was told he need to gain about 15 pounds before he reported. He said after that it was a pretty easy transition. He stated he didnt think I lot of people knew about that. I thought that was a well know thing. I didnt know about the safety part.

I agree Mo was a little shy at first, I think my question opened him up a little, when he realized we actually knew who he was. I asked him about his emotions after his first catch on a big 3rd down conversion.He said he thought he was going to get the ball and then it was like ok, dont drop it kinda thing. And then now what with ball, ok give it to the ref. 

I talked with Lisa, the head of the rewards program. They are really trying to make the rewards program a full year thing. She says that people really get the experiences on game day and the autograph stuff. Last year events was more for the premium members, but if rewards members wanted to go they could use the yards. She said that is why it was so low this year, was to get a lot of people out and talking about it. I would say it was easily 150 people.

I will say all in all I was a great night.   

We also learned that Shanny broke the rules when he contacted Niles Paul. 

I went to the Bruce Allen and Larry Michael Chalk Talk tonight. There was a tour of Redskins Park followed by dinner in the "players club" aka cafeteria and then talking with Larry and Bruce. A great night. I liked it more than last weeks Doc, Niles Paul and Mo Harris event.

Larry did some small talk until Bruce was ready. The main thing he said was regarding Scot there were things he couldn't address that are personal just like we all have things we cant discuss at our jobs. 

Bruce then came in and he said he was going to start with 4 topics that many of the questions would be about before opening it up to questions. He addressed Cousins, Scot, the draft and I think free agency was the 4th.

-Cousins-Bruce said they have offered a lucrative contract to his agent but there hasn't been an answer. He and Larry addressed the rumor that Cousins wouldn't sign with the Skins if Bruce was the President. Larry said the guy that tweeted it out has since deleted the tweet and Larry actually called the guy since he knew him. He called it fake news. 

-Scot- Bruce mentioned a few times his relationship with Scot's dad and brother and that he has talked to them since the firing. He mentioned that Scot is free to sign with any team right now. I didn't sense any hostility towards Scot in Bruce's words or his body language. He said he will talk with the media about Scot next week at owner's meeting.

-Free Agency-Bruce said that he loves Swearinger and he's much needed help in the secondary. He said they lost Baker and they've signed 2 DL. He said they lost 2000 yards receiving. They signed 1000 yards in Pryor so they need other receivers to help replace the other 1000. He specifically mentioned Docston. Bruce said we are at 71 players right now and need to be at 90 for camp. We have 10 picks right now and would like to sign 10 undrafted FA's so they don't have much room for anymore FA's. He mentioned Hightower visited today and another FA is coming in tomorrow but didn't mention who.

-Draft-not too much sticks out here. He naturally didn't mention any players or positions. Just that we have holes to fill. Interesting that when talking about having 10 picks he said "Dan hates to trade down". He said he gets geared up to see who we get and then has to wait again. 

a few other notes:

a question was asked about player development and if there are any players that haven't played a ton that he thinks can take the next step. He mentioned Quinton Dunbar right away. How he was a quiet WR and then we had some CB's go down 1 practice so Gruden said to try him at CB. Now he is trash talking CB. He mentioned Mack Brown and how he kills our defense in practice. 

Bruce said Jay would be calling plays this year

Bruce said the winner of the NFC East runs the ball well and stops the run. He thought the lack of running game was why we lost the Giants game.

I'm sure other things will pop in my mind the next few days

11 hours ago, Redskin21502 said:

en talking about having 10 picks he said "Dan hates to trade down". He said he gets geared up to see who we get and then has to wait again. 

We have a child running our favorite team. Good grief

On another note, thanks for the awesome write up!!!

4 hours ago, zoony said:

We have a child running our favorite team. Good grief

Yeah, that's ridiculous. I just hope that Bruce was just saying that more jokingly than anything and that it wouldn't actually stop them from trading down. They traded down in 2014 when it was Bruce running the show, so that's good I guess.  

Archived