Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME JAMES ROWE AS ASSISTANT DEFENSIVE BACKS COACH

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

February 9, 2017

REDSKINS NAME JAMES ROWE AS ASSISTANT DEFENSIVE BACKS COACH

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named James Rowe as Assistant Defensive Backs Coach.

Rowe, 30, most recently served as Defensive Coordinator at Valdosta State, helping the Blazers to an 8-3 record in 2016. Among Division II schools, his defense led the nation with 27 interceptions and ranked fifth in the country in opposing passing efficiency, limiting opposing quarterbacks to a 96.2 passer rating. Under Rowe’s guidance, Valdosta State safety Kenny Moore earned first-team All-American honors from the American Football Coaches Association.

Prior to his tenure at Valdosta State, Rowe spent one season as a defensive graduate assistant at the University of Florida in 2015. That season, the Florida defense ranked No. 8 in scoring defense, No. 6 in total defense and No. 11 in pass defense, while Rowe assisted in the development of All-American defensive backs Vernon Hargreaves, Marcus Maye and Teez Tabor.

From 2012-14, Rowe served in a variety of coaching capacities at Jacksonville University. He began his tenure assisting with the team’s defensive backs in 2012, adding the wide receivers to his purview in 2013 and eventually being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2014. He began his collegiate coaching career as a graduate assistant at Bethel (Tenn.) University in 2011, helping the Wildcats finish the year ranked No. 14 in the nation.

Rowe was a student-athlete at South Florida, lettering three times as a member of the Bulls’ baseball team. After majoring in business administration, he earned his degree from the university in 2009.

A native of Cocoa, Fla., Rowe was born Feb. 11, 1986.

ROWE FOOTBALL TIMELINE

2016:               Defensive Coordinator, Valdosta State

2015:               Defensive Graduate Assistant, Florida

2014:               Defensive Coordinator, Jacksonville University

2013:               Asst. Cornerbacks/Asst. Wide Receivers, Jacksonville University

2012:               Asst. Cornerbacks, Jacksonville University

2011:               Graduate Assistant, Bethel (Tenn.) University

2004-09:          Student-Athlete, South Florida

Interesting, I assumed they knew each other but Gray and Rowe's times at Florida don't match up as Rowe left there after 2015 right before Gray arrived for the 2016 season. 

Likely means Gray heard good things about him while at Florida. Very little connection otherwise. 

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

Thats a impressive year. Guy sounds like an exciting talent. I need to say that this D staff is looking pretty good. Better then expected. 

Really is coming together impressively. Almost like we had a plan.

Bunch of hot young guys.

Oh wait.....

Crap.

Ala yesterday, nice to see a college guy getting shot at the pros. If a very young and relatively inexperienced one. 

55 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Thats a impressive year. Guy sounds like an exciting talent. I need to say that this D staff is looking pretty good. Better then expected. 

We always seem to do well giving promising looking positional coaches a shot 

It's the coordinators and main gig we struggle on. 

Hail. 

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Ala yesterday, nice to see a college guy getting shot at the pros. If a very young and relatively inexperienced one. 

We always seem to do well giving promising looking positional coaches a shot 

It's the coordinators and main gig we struggle on. 

Hail. 

We just fired a few positional guys that most people were originally excited about.

On 10/02/2017 at 1:11 AM, Gibbit said:

will compton has many accounts here

Less than Vinny obviously :P

On 10/02/2017 at 3:07 PM, Riggo-toni said:

I realize my poor sense of humor may have given birth to a terrible joke, put I felt obligated to bring it to full term...

I'm still trying to grasp it... :P

Archived