Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Trump Does East Asia Thread

FanboyOf91

They sure don't seem to have a shortage of fissionable material. 

And i I was under the impression that a HYDROGEN bomb required an incredible level of technology. Supposedly beyond the ability of anything less than a superpower nation. 

33 minutes ago, Destino said:

North Korean scientists are on a hot streak.  We're told they're years away from some advancements and in one year they not only manage to miniaturize war heads, they develop ICBMs and H-Bombs.  Are we sure no one is helping them?

These were my exact thoughts too. They are getting help and highly advanced tech from someone. China? Russia?

1 hour ago, Destino said:

North Korean scientists are on a hot streak.  We're told they're years away from some advancements and in one year they not only manage to miniaturize war heads, they develop ICBMs and H-Bombs.  Are we sure no one is helping them?

53 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

These were my exact thoughts too. They are getting help and highly advanced tech from someone. China? Russia?

Iran would be my guess 

I think appeasement was a problem.  SKorea was too comfortable existing, or at least willing to exist, as hostage in exchange for peace.  Yes many would have died in a war, but it was a war they could win.  Even without direct US military involvement they could have won.  Now they face a real and growing existential threat of a war they can not.  Worse, it's not a war they can likely survive regardless of who wins.  They've lost control over their continued existence.  

They've no choice when when it comes to appeasement now.  North Korea has the high card and everyone knows it.

The math has also changed for the US.  Before now the question for war, from the American perspective was trying to limit the loss of SK people and US troops and keeping it from becoming a war with China.  Now the question is rapidly becoming "Is the US willing to risk a large scale nuclear attack on major American cities in order to protect SK."  That risk side of this equation is only going to grow.

4 hours ago, Destino said:

Thais been my thought, too.  

We're talking about one of the most third-world countries on the planet, supposedly accomplishing, in a few years, abilities which a decade ago were thought to be beyond the reach of any country but the very top.  

Maybe they stole the tech.  but then, even their ability in that area makes me think they're getting it somewhere else.  (I mean, how does a country that only has 16, IP addresses, where high school students aren't allowed to know that the Internet exists, become a power for cyber warfare?)  

30 minutes ago, Larry said:

Thais been my thought, too.  

We're talking about one of the most third-world countries on the planet, supposedly accomplishing, in a few years, abilities which a decade ago were thought to be beyond the reach of any country but the very top.  

Maybe they stole the tech.  but then, even their ability in that area makes me think they're getting it somewhere else.  (I mean, how does a country that only has 16, IP addresses, where high school students aren't allowed to know that the Internet exists, become a power for cyber warfare?)  

I remember that when Russia was essentially invading Crimea the common discussion was that Russia would seek to test NATO by essentially forcing them to choose between major, potentially nuclear war, and defending states most western Europeans care nothing about in Eastern Europe.  Now suddenly North Korea makes major strides in weapons technology in a short time and the US/UN faces the same scenario in Asia. 

If this were a movie I'd be sure a Russian agent orchestrated this.

24 minutes ago, Destino said:

I remember that when Russia was essentially invading Crimea the common discussion was that Russia would seek to test NATO by essentially forcing them to choose between major, potentially nuclear war, and defending states most western Europeans care nothing about in Eastern Europe.  Now suddenly North Korea makes major strides in weapons technology in a short time and the US/UN faces the same scenario in Asia. 

If this were a movie I'd be sure a Russian agent orchestrated this.

The fact that it makes things awkward for China might be a Russian plus, too.  

However, "If I were writing this story, it would make sense to a casual reader" is certainly a long way from "this absolutely must be what's happening."  

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

However, "If I were writing this story, it would make sense to a casual reader" is certainly a long way from "this absolutely must be what's happening."  

Absolutely.  For all we know the weapons technology was simply stolen or sold to them by someone with no greater goal than pocketing the money. 

15 hours ago, Destino said:

Absolutely.  For all we know the weapons technology was simply stolen or sold to them by someone with no greater goal than pocketing the money. 

The defense contractors have been the subject of devastating security breaches dating back to at least 2005. I'm talking the top ones, and bad compromises.

Im not in a position to know what was stolen, if I were I wouldn't be posting about it here. They also quite clearly decided to stop reporting on it, because suddenly all information on it stopped.

So Russia helping to break up western alliances makes sense, but we shouldn't discount American (or in general western) incompetence in protecting vital secretes and "cyber security" issues.

Archived