Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The TPP (and similar things) thread

Larry

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - With talks to renegotiate the NAFTA trade pact just weeks away, U.S. farm groups and lawmakers from rural states are intensifying lobbying of President Donald Trump's administration with one central message: leave farming out of it.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - American manufacturers, energy companies and retailers reliant on cheap steel are quietly lobbying against President Donald Trump's desire to impose tariffs on steel imports ahead of possible decision by the U.S. Commerce Department next week.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-steel-lobbying-idUSKBN19Z25K

"On yeah, America First and MAGA and all that happy crap but don't touch OUR piece of the action, k?"

2 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-steel-lobbying-idUSKBN19Z25K

"On yeah, America First and MAGA and all that happy crap but don't touch OUR piece of the action, k?"

Well, I would assume that what most businesses want is stability.  

After all, show me a business, and I'll show you somebody who's figured out how to make money in the current system.  They want things to keep going the way they are, because the way things are, is working for them.  

30 minutes ago, Larry said:

Well, I would assume that what most businesses want is stability.  

After all, show me a business, and I'll show you somebody who's figured out how to make money in the current system.  They want things to keep going the way they are, because the way things are, is working for them.  

Understood and for the most part I'd agree, but businesses backed Trump and his minions and were all worked up at the prospect of increased profits (probably had to call a doctor after four hours...) but now the reality sets in and they yank the reins, "Whoa there big fella, don't gore my sacred cow". Gettin' a whiff of hypocrisy there, like the red state farmers that pulled the lever for stupid but don't want THEIR Mexican laborers deported.

Who knew a national economy could be so complicated?  :silly:

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with short term thinking that's done to excite the base is that reality sets in. I have heard a lot of good arguments against the TPP and so I am not sure that Trump was in the wrong, but the way he executed this move and the Paris move was so rash. There's no forethought and no plan for the aftermath.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

The problem with short term thinking that's done to excite the base is that reality sets in. I have heard a lot of good arguments against the TPP and so I am not sure that Trump was in the wrong, but the way he executed this move and the Paris move was so rash. There's no forethought and no plan for the aftermath.

You mean, they don't have a plan for what to do, after repeal?  

12 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Wondering why they even bothered to run those numbers (let alone release them). I thought the usual way of doing these things is to hide the actual amount of the bribe, and to make vague glowing unicorn in the sky predictions based on things like assuming that every job actually equals 7 jobs, and huge tax revenue increases while ignoring the increased government spending. 

Props to to them for actually doing this. 

Congressional aides say it is unlikely that many of the 158 House Democrats and 33 Senate Democrats and independents who opposed Obama on TPP will rally to Trump’s side on a revised NAFTA agreement, especially because the Trump administration's negotiating points borrow heavily from the TPP deal.

Trump's best hope for passage is to craft a revised NAFTA agreement that hews closely to traditional Republican priorities; ignores demands from those Democrats who are unlikely to vote for the pact; and takes the best pieces from the TPP while strengthening other areas, like intellectual property protections, that could muster enough votes for bipartisan approval in both chambers, one lobbyist said, speaking on condition of anonymity to protect his clients.

The U.S. International Trade Commission is required to do an economic analysis of the new NAFTA before it is submitted to Congress. The panel’s assessment of the much larger TPP pact estimated it would create only 128,000 net new full-time jobs by 2032, and increase gross domestic product by just 0.15 percent over the same period.

Further complicating matters, Mexican voters go to the polls next July to elect a new president. That means Mexican negotiators have a window between now and possibly February to make significant concessions, Miller said. After that, talks could shut down and not resume until the new Mexican president takes office in December 2018, he said.

Striking a deal in the next six months would be extremely fast. To put it in perspective, a recent agreement between United States and Mexico on just one issue — sugar — took months to negotiate. Talks between the United States and Canada on another single issue — lumber — began in the Obama administration and still are not finished. The revised NAFTA agreement could have as many as 30 different chapters, covering all aspects of trade.

Gonna get messy!

https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fnews%2Fmonkey-cage%2Fwp%2F2017%2F08%2F16%2Famericans-views-of-trade-arent-just-about-economics-theyre-also-about-race%2F#pt0-179559

Americans’ views of trade aren’t just about economics. They’re also about race.

In the “Black” beneficiary version, the laid-off worker was named “Cedric Washington” and the accompanying picture showed two unnamed, middle-aged black men at an employment fair. In the “White” beneficiary version, the laid-off worked was named “Randy Snyder” and the accompanying picture was of two unnamed, middle-aged white men at an employment fair. I then asked all respondents whether they supported, opposed or had no opinion concerning a policy of increased trade protection.

And here’s how these differences affected support for trade protection

Changing the depiction of the beneficiary of trade protection diminished whites’ support of trade protection. White participants who read the “Black” beneficiary version of the news story demonstrated higher opposition to increased trade protection than those who read the “White” beneficiary version of the news story (36 percent to 29 percent). Similarly, support for increased trade protection was lower (41 percent to 45 percent). The combined effect totals an 11 percentage point swing in support — although nothing else changed in the article and the respondents were randomly assigned the article version.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Former U.S. Trade Representative Robert Zoellick said Thursday there’s an increasing chance President Donald Trump will make good on this threat to withdraw the U.S. from the 23-year-old accord because it will be difficult for his administration to deliver on promises to reduce the U.S. trade deficit, especially with Mexico. “There’s at least a 50 percent chance that Trump pulls out of this thing over the next year.”

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived