Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 : Upper Deck Renovations = Fewer seats

MarkB452

I was tempted but won't quote the picture ,that is just a beyond embarrassing scene for Dallas.

I went to the 49ers game in 2013 (week 12) when we were clearly out of the postseason discussion, and there was a large number of 49ers fans, but nothing resembling this Dallas picture by any stretch.  The Chiefs game was week 14 and was just a nasty day all together so seeing images like this

[empty FedEx pic]

is not that surprising.

Call me foolish but I think seeing images like this and understanding the ramifications both financially and seeing his team consistently as part of the NFL gutter (say bottom 5 - 7 consistently regardless of the 2012 run) are why he's starting to get it.  Yes there has been a lot of losing recently, but its always darkest before the light.

I was at that Chiefs game in December 2013. Most of the skins fans left at halftime. 

That had to chap little Danny's ass to see his stadium 75% empty at halftime. 

I was at that Chiefs game in December 2013. Most of the skins fans left at halftime. 

It played our eerily similar to the Chiefs game in 2009. I lasted till early 4th qtr, in 2013; and was the last of only 10 patrons to straggle back to the charter bus, which felt about as empty as the stadium. Mr. Day's Bar had to have lost money on that run. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! The end zones (where the SROs are) have been that way for a few years, but they've yanked quite a bit out of the corners this offseason, in addition to the previously-reported middle sections that have had their original number of rows. When are the Skins going to make the announcement about this?

I think the upper deck had 33K seats when the stadium opened. How many seats (don't count the SROs) do you think are left up there?

The club level may have a higher seating capacity than the upper deck at this point. Closing the upper deck outright may be feasible by the end of the decade. I think all of this is good for the gameday experience. The place was too big from day one.  

Per:Csn Washington (The team told the Post that the latest seat removal was “part of an overall plan based on season ticket holder feedback,” and that details will follow.) what could this mean?

I think the implied reference is that, in order to fix the parking problem which fans have bitterly complained about (that's the feedback), they are making the stadium smaller.  Hence, the seat removal.  Less fans = less cars. 

But if you think deeper into it, since the fans have been hemorrhaging season tickets for this upcoming season, not only does the teams have a bunch of tickets on their hands not sold, they also have a bunch of parking passes too.  So what do they do?  Do they give them to those on the waiting list?  No.  Instead, they re-organize the entire parking lot system, wait to see what demand is, and then re-shape certain lots to fit fan demand, being careful not to oversell any particular lots. In fact, they're going to keep a fairly significant percentage of spaces unsold in each lot. 

That video....WOW....WOW. I don't know what else to say. All those seats removed and they still have seats available for sale in the lower level, club level and upper level. STH are dropping like dead flies in Africa. Looks horrible, too. I don't know what else to say....just stunned. I suppose traffic will be better for those of  us that still go. And lines at the concessions and rest rooms will be shorter for the upper level folks. WOW.

From a long term planning standpoint, IF Snyder wants a smaller new stadium, they want fewer STHs as they approach that change to a new stadium. But it seems early to be weeding out STH now. Skins certainly don't want the PR hit if they are unable to move current STHs to the new stadium.

Amazing how far the Skins have fallen in 20 years for ticket demand.

From a long term planning standpoint, IF Snyder wants a smaller new stadium, they want fewer STHs as they approach that change to a new stadium. But it seems early to be weeding out STH now. Skins certainly don't want the PR hit if they are unable to move current STHs to the new stadium.

Amazing how far the Skins have fallen in 20 years for ticket demand.

You want more STH holders as you enter a new stadium not less.  The new stadium will require PSLs and a lot of them will not renew.  

You want more STH holders as you enter a new stadium not less.  The new stadium will require PSLs and a lot of them will not renew.  

Based on Bruce's comments about a potential new stadium being more "intimate" I suspect that they are planning for a 65k stadium, which of course will have very high priced PSL's.

The fan base can realistically support about 75-80k season tickets when the team is well managed and good (hence the 1980s waiting list) so taking into account PSLs, I think having the new stadium at 65k is right. The stadium now probably is right at 70k with all the seats gone

I'm one of those that actually waited 15 years (at least) to get my season tickets. They were in the upper deck in row 16 sec. 437. I don't remember how many years ago that was, but I do remember being more excited than I've ever been in my whole life. Those seats are gone. The TO bumped us to row 9 when those seats were removed. We sat there for one season and then we got bumped to row 2. (Great seats BTW, sec 434) After that, they started the online upgrade process but I haven't moved because I like it where I am.

When they removed seats in the uppers the first time, it made a world of difference once you were in the stadium. Lines at concessions and bathrooms were shorter and the concourse wasn't as crowded. Parking was a bit easier, but I didn't notice a change in traffic congestion.

I doubt that removing this lesser amount of seats is going to make a difference in traffic. I actually think it's going to be worse getting in since the lots have specific entrances. I wouldn't be surprised if half of those with parking passes go to the wrong entrance. Getting out should be easier though.

I like the idea of a smaller stadium. However, if they go PSL, you can count this lifelong Redskin fan out.

Why aren't they removing seats from the 200 level that are all obstructed view? Seems like those would be the seats that would make the most sense to take out.

AMEN!  He must not have a problem selling them.  The OV seats might not count against a blackout....don't know....just guessing.

I would like to have at least one game blacked out next year and the team finally admit that the sell out streak and waiting list are toast.

That will be Snyder's legacy unless the team wins a SB during his ownership.

It would also appear that by downsizing under 70K, Danny has also given up any hope of hosting a SuperBowl at FedEx.

If the new stadium has a PSL for my seats, I'm out.  My brother has seats in section 124 that had belonged to my dad.  I KNOW those will have an outrageous PSL fee. 

AMEN!  He must not have a problem selling them.  The OV seats might not count against a blackout....don't know....just guessing.

I would like to have at least one game blacked out next year and the team finally admit that the sell out streak and waiting list are toast.

That will be Snyder's legacy unless the team wins a SB during his ownership.

It would also appear that by downsizing under 70K, Danny has also given up any hope of hosting a SuperBowl at FedEx.

If the new stadium has a PSL for my seats, I'm out.  My brother has seats in section 124 that had belonged to my dad.  I KNOW those will have an outrageous PSL fee. 

The only reason for taking out upper level seats would be to put a roof on. Which doesn't make sense to do if the team is planning to leave in the next 12-15 years. Why go through the renovation costs just to leave?

I just don't understand it. If you gave ma choice between a seat in the UL or in the OV, give me UL all day. doesn't even matter where because at least I'd get a nice view of everything. It's not like the OV seats are even expensive, so why would you not get rid of those?

None of this makes any sense to me

Obstructed view seats are not "General Admission season tickets". They are sold on a year to year basis; they do not qualify against the "old" blackout rules. The NFL, in March, suspended the TV blackout rule for for 2015 obvious reasons. Too many teams were having problems selling out. The Skins are not the only NFL team with attendance problems. Owners and sponsors were being forced to buy up remaining tickets to prevent blackouts. Snyder was likely doing this also but it has never been made public. Just guessing, though.

Snyder may get all the revenue from the OV seats like he does with the premium seats. He has to share 33.3% of the revenue from GA seats. IF the OV seats are not included as GA seats, then Snyder gets all the ticket revenue and does not have to share with the visiting team.

And many OV seats are perfectly good seats at the reduced rates. Most of the worst seats behind concrete pillars were removed. Seats can't be that bad, most are filled at a higher rate than the seats in the upper level on game days. In fact some are excellent seats. The deeper you are in the cave, the worse it gets, however.

None of this makes any sense to me

The only reason I can think of behind keeping the OV and removing the upper deck seats is that you can't see empty OV seats on the TV broadcast, but empty upper deck seats stick out like a sore thumb.  In the video you can see the metal poles they added where the seats used to be.  My guess is they're going to pull a tarp of some sort over those poles, Jacksonville style, maybe with some Redskins branded imagry on it (or advertisements) to make the upper deck look better before the season starts.  

This team is 50% about appearance, 50% about profit, 0% about ACTUALLY caring what the fans think unless it undercuts one of the prior two categories.  Add in the TV blackout factor, and I'm certain that they decided removing unsold seats would be the best thing for the bottom line.  Removing unsold seats 1) keeps the games on TV, 2) lets them preserve the myth of the sellout streak / waitlist, 3) hopefully inflates secondary market demand (which is a key point for retaining the few ST holders left AND for the team selling their unsold inventory themselves on a per game basis for more than $11.50 a seat), and 4) makes the stadium look better on TV, to undermine the claims that fans are running away in droves.  Removing OV seats wouldn't accomplish any of those goals.    

Archived