Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Iran, world powers reach initial deal on reining in Tehran's nuclear program

visionary

The smartest thing the Iranians can do is to bury the hatchet with the US. This would remove some of the leverage the Saudis and Israeli's have over them. The Iranian's are our natural allies in the region anyway.

Certainly not sure I'd go that far.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say that Egypt, Saudis, and probably Saddam were all much better allies.

But then, I confess to being pretty ignorant about many things.

I DO think that this latest Iranian sure seems to be moving in our direction, compared to his predecessor. I'd like to see us do something that will increase his power, with his people, simply because I'd like to reward the direction they're moving. (Although maybe not too much, since there's things I really don't like about them, too).

----------

And it seems to me like, having the Saudis endorse this deal ought to count for a lot, too. It's not like the Saudis agree with Iran all that often. Or like the Saudis want Iran to get the bomb.

And it seems to me like, having the Saudis endorse this deal ought to count for a lot, too. It's not like the Saudis agree with Iran all that often. Or like the Saudis want Iran to get the bomb.

The only thing the Saudis hate more than the Jews are the Shia and if they had to choose sides, they would align with Israel before Iran. They are fighting a war by proxy in Yemen as we speak.

If I were an Iranian strategist, I would try to normalize relations with US because it would further isolate the Saudis and I think this notion might motivate Iran to make a good deal and stick to it. It makes better long term strategic sense because Iran's goal is not to defeat the Israelis it is to defeat the Sunnis.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/iran-military-us-force-thwarted-116728.html#ixzz3WcwQ5DLL

Iran military chief says country successfully thwarted U.S. political will

The commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps on Tuesday praised the preliminary nuclear deal reached in Switzerland last week, saying that the country’s resistance forced the United States to change its political rhetoric toward the country.

“The Iranian nation’s resistance to the U.S. thwarted Washington’s robust options for imposing its political will on the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Major Gen. Mohammad Ali Jafari was quoted as saying by an Iranian state news agency. Jafari praised the country’s negotiators while warning of the potential of a “difficult path” in future diplomatic talks with the U.S.

The lead U.S. negotiator for the Iran nuclear talks, meanwhile, said that both sides expected that their narratives were likely to be somewhat different back home, but that both countries pledged not to contradict each other.

at best it simply delays , IF that.......get back to me when you have a agreement

Everything short of a full-out war only delays (and absent an effective puppet regime or a pre-emptive nuclear strike, that too would only delay).

That spokesman reminds me of Baghdad Bob.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Saeed_al-Sahhaf

Can we re-christen Major Gen. Mohammad Ali Jafari as "Tehran Tom"?

Everything short of a full-out war only delays (and absent an effective puppet regime or a pre-emptive nuclear strike, that too would only delay).

A change of direction  or capitulation would be different.

But I guess ya acknowledge their pursuit of nuclear weapons,which this changes in no significant way.

Even Barry is aware it does little and eventually nothing.

I see we've gone from claiming that getting inspectors into their refining operation does not guarantee a permanent solution, to claiming that it does nothing at all.

Can the claims that shutting down a chunk of their centrifuges, and allowing inspections, will cause them to get a bomb FASTER, be far behind?

Still waiting on what the proposed alternative to this issue is. But of course.... Crickets.

I'm enjoying the sanctions, sabotage and assassinations myself.

Regime change might be fun, certainly bloody.

I see we've gone from claiming that getting inspectors into their refining operation does not guarantee a permanent solution, to claiming that it does nothing at all.

Can the claims that shutting down a chunk of their centrifuges, and allowing inspections, will cause them to get a bomb FASTER, be far behind?

EVENTUALLY nothing....words matter, as you will see in the next round of negotiation.

I'm enjoying the sanctions, sabotage and assassinations myself.

Regime change might be fun, certainly bloody.

All of those things prevent nothing and only "delay" Iran from getting the bomb. The same thing you keep harping over and over again. 

Except one solution produces transparency and has multiple countries backing and overseeing it along with us.

Nice thrown in about a regime change.. he he. Got any more unrealistic plans?

The only thing the Saudis hate more than the Jews are the Shia and if they had to choose sides, they would align with Israel before Iran. They are fighting a war by proxy in Yemen as we speak.

If I were an Iranian strategist, I would try to normalize relations with US because it would further isolate the Saudis and I think this notion might motivate Iran to make a good deal and stick to it. It makes better long term strategic sense because Iran's goal is not to defeat the Israelis it is to defeat the Sunnis.

It's more complicated than that. Anti-Americanism is a pretty robust part of their domestic politics. That isn't going to suddenly change. Nor do their geo-political interests for the region match ours on the whole. But I do agree that we are natural allies with the Iranians in certain areas of our ME foreign policy. Fighting ISIS in Iraq for instance.

Our national interests in the ME have been pretty jumbled for a long time. We sort of have this humanitarian vision of modern democracy and humane self-rule for the region. That's not particularly realistic considering the region is one of the most multi-ethnic, multi-national, and religiously diverse parts of the planet. Tribal and religious sectarian conflict has been a constant issue for the region for over 1,000 years. It's been one of the most violent and chaotic parts of Earth since the fall of the last major Islamic hegemonic regional power after World War I.

And our policy in the region hasn't been motivated solely by humanitarian interests and stability of course. We've supported bad regimes and regimes that majorly destabilize the region, simply to preserve a status quo because of oil interests or our interests in Israel.

When we succeed in regime change in Cuba let me know.   55 years and counting now...

Thinking we can effect regime change in Iran is utter stupidity.   

You lack patience  :)

All of those things prevent nothing and only "delay" Iran from getting the bomb. The same thing you keep harping over and over again. 

Except one solution produces transparency and has multiple countries backing and overseeing it along with us.

Nice thrown in about a regime change.. he he. Got any more unrealistic plans?

Your solution enriches and empowers them, already being sold as a triumph

Your solution enriches and empowers them, already being sold as a triumph

Yeah because they are going to go back to their country bowing their heads down to their public and conceding defeat. Enrich and empower? Absurdly low standards here. There are always concessions in diplomatic deals.

If the current way of dealing with this problem, sanctions and covert sabotage, was effective you wouldn't have this conversation. But Iran has been a topic of concern across both sides of our political system for quite some time now because them getting the bomb was inevitable unless they became more transparent to western oversight.

The idea that Iran's nuclear program could have been opened up to be more transparent, with limitations on their enrichment capabilities, without any lifting of sanctions is really quite stupid. 

The only other real solution would have been full blown war.

cartoons, jokes seem appropriate

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13940119001411

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan categorically rejected as a "lie" a Guardian report alleging that Tehran has granted access to its military facilities under the recent framework agreement with the world powers.

"No such agreement has been made; principally speaking, visit to military centers is among our redlines and no such visit will be accepted," Gen. Dehqan stressed on Wednesday, rejecting "the report by foreign media outlets, such as the Guardian" as "untruthful allegations".

The Iranian defense minister reiterated that the Supreme Leader's guidelines, government's strategy and the negotiating team's resolve have placed the Iranian diplomacy on a path that it would never allow the opposite parties to the talks impose their will on the Iranian nation.

Archived