Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we able to obtain a pick in the first round without a HEAVY price?

RED_DREADS

We suck and can't lure anyone here...we may sacrifice to move up.

I realize we were 3-13, but there are legitimate reasons/excuses for that and potentially a large portion of it has left. We have a good amount of talented players, and I think we got ourselves headed in the right direction.

There's only a few late-1st round players I like: CJ Mosley (ILB), Ha Ha Dix (FS), and maybe Xavier Sua Filo.  But like GHH said, I'd be more interested in an additional 2nd and 3rd rounder.  If someone is willing to trade Kirk Cousins for a 2nd or 3rd rounder and you can move our 34th pick down to a lower 2nd and pick up a lower 3rd - you could draft a solid starting 3-4 DE like DaQuan Jones (mid-3rd) or Stephon Tuitt (mid-2nd); a solid starting Strong Safety like Craig Lotson (3rd) or Deonne Bucannon (3rd); and a solid 3rd-down wide receiver like Kelvin Benjamin (2nd) or Donte Moncreif (3rd).  Maybe even pick up an additional 4th by moving the 66th pick down.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't trade up, but if CALVIN PRYOR is available, I would not trade out.

Watching his highlights vs. Dix, it's not even close.  Dix looks more corner.  I love the way Pryor hits.  (Call me crazy, but being #25 sounds like pure karma to me.  Pass the torch from Clark to Pryor).

If that happens, the rest of the draft is gravy.

I wouldn't trade up, but if CALVIN PRYOR is available, I would not trade out.

Watching his highlights vs. Dix, it's not even close. Dix looks more corner. I love the way Pryor hits. (Call me crazy, but being #25 sounds like pure karma to me. Pass the torch from Clark to Pryor).

If that happens, the rest of the draft is gravy.

the stuff I've watched from Pryor, looks like a lot of borderline illegal no arm tackle hits. That doesn't fly in the NFL. We have BM and Thomas. What we don't have is a FS, who can play what is basically an extra deep corner, ala Earl Thomas.

OP no it doesn't suck. What sucks more is not having a franchise QB. You can't move into the first without giving up a huge price and it's not worth it for this team to do something foolish like that. The last time the Redskins moved back into the first round they picked up Jason Campbell and how did that work out?

Truth is this team has lost without all of these 2014 rookies and they won without them, no one piece is going to make this a Superbowl team and this win now immediately mentality if it continues will only lead to more dis-functionality and the Redskins will become the Browns with a new head coach every season. Your leading to the problem with threads like this as are the posters who support this. There is no quick fix and your asking for one. Forget it, it's doesn't exist. No single player is worth giving up the future for, not one of them. Otherwise your in this mess next year. Stupid idea

KB because thats a foolish strategy, someone pointed out above how the Vikings did that last year and it didnt work for them either. If the draft is stacked and all that then trading up is the wrong way to go, if thats the way it is your better off trading down and stock piling picks giving yourself more chances to hit on multiple players. If the draft is loaded then you want quantity not one quality player

Seems like Gruden knows this by his comments. If you mortgage the future now you dont break the cycle and where are you next season when the hype machine is again in full effect and you dont have a first round pick? Right back where they are now. Only if this was a team in the Championship game like the 49ers who likely will have a low round pick does this make sense to do and clearly this team is miles away from that place

the stuff I've watched from Pryor, looks like a lot of borderline illegal no arm tackle hits. That doesn't fly in the NFL. We have BM and Thomas. What we don't have is a FS, who can play what is basically an extra deep corner, ala Earl Thomas.

Being realistic, which later-round safeties do you like? Some mocks say Ed Reynolds but he reminds me of Archuletta. Rambo was touted as a ball hawk which leaves me utterly confused. Is pro safety really that hard to project?

Being realistic, which later-round safeties do you like? Some mocks say Ed Reynolds but he reminds me of Archuletta. Rambo was touted as a ball hawk which leaves me utterly confused. Is pro safety really that hard to project?

seems like it.

I have no idea who I want, I just read this thread mostly and parrot what the better posters say.

It seems to me though, the S position, at least FS, is moving away from guys who can really hit, to guys who can really cover and hawk.

OP no it doesn't suck. What sucks more is not having a franchise QB. You can't move into the first without giving up a huge price and it's not worth it for this team to do something foolish like that. The last time the Redskins moved back into the first round they picked up Jason Campbell and how did that work out?

Truth is this team has lost without all of these 2014 rookies and they won without them, no one piece is going to make this a Superbowl team and this win now immediately mentality if it continues will only lead to more dis-functionality and the Redskins will become the Browns with a new head coach every season. Your leading to the problem with threads like this as are the posters who support this. There is no quick fix and your asking for one. Forget it, it's doesn't exist. No single player is worth giving up the future for, not one of them. Otherwise your in this mess next year. Stupid idea

first, I don't care for comments like 'stupid'.

Second, you can drop the 'one player away' comments you're repeating. I think we all understand were building a team with long term success, not one designed to win 'one'.

If we can trade Kirk Cousins and our 34 for nothing less than 15th pick to a QB needy team, then that would be a win-win for Kirk and the team.  Kirk would get a shot at a starting position, which he really deserves, and we would still have Rex Grossman as a buck-up.  Plus we would have a respectable 1st round pick.  I don't think that scenario is likely, though.

Here is what I would like to see, although I am by no means a draft expert.  Keep the 34th pick; trade our high third for a mid third and a fourth; trade our high fourth for a mid fourth and a fifth, and so on.  Nothing fancy, just double the mid-round picks in a deep draft.

If we can trade Kirk Cousins and our 34 for nothing less than 15th pick to a QB needy team, then that would be a win-win for Kirk and the team. Kirk would get a shot at a starting position, which he really deserves, and we would still have Rex Grossman as a buck-up. Plus we would have a respectable 1st round pick. I don't think that scenario is likely, though.

Here is what I would like to see, although I am by no means a draft expert. Keep the 34th pick; trade our high third for a mid third and a fourth; trade our high fourth for a mid fourth and a fifth, and so on. Nothing fancy, just double the mid-round picks in a deep draft.

As far as I know I don't think grossman is even on our roster. I think he is a free agent

seems like it.

I have no idea who I want, I just read this thread mostly and parrot what the better posters say.

It seems to me though, the S position, at least FS, is moving away from guys who can really hit, to guys who can really cover and hawk.

first, I don't care for comments like 'stupid'.

Second, you can drop the 'one player away' comments you're repeating. I think we all understand were building a team with long term success, not one designed to win 'one'.

Then why would you be asking the question you asked? Are you trolling or what? You asked this

IF this draft is that too heavy with talent in the first three rounds.

And IF you think were going to be successful THIS season.

Why not trade a future pick to get heavy into this draft?

If you want to build for the future you don't do it by mortgaging it, unless you do so for a franchise QB, that is the only exception. The Redskins did that and now they don't have a 1st round pick. That was worth it. No other position is worth it. Happens every season, some team trades a fortune for one player not a QB like the Vikings did last season for CPatt and how many wins did that earn them? None.

Any other position then QB your best bet is to stay put and draft or drop down and get more players.

Then why would you be asking the question you asked? Are you trolling or what? You asked this

If you want to build for the future you don't do it by mortgaging it, unless you do so for a franchise QB, that is the only exception. The Redskins did that and now they don't have a 1st round pick. That was worth it. No other position is worth it. Happens every season, some team trades a fortune for one player not a QB like the Vikings did last season for CPatt and how many wins did that earn them? None.

Any other position then QB your best bet is to stay put and draft or drop down and get more players.

my original question was if the 2014 draft is so deep. So much deeper than 2015. And if you think we are going to be good and pick late in the rounds next year, why not get more involved with this draft?

In a deep draft the value is in the middle to lower rounds, not the first.

In a top heavy draft is where you may want to consider moving up because the value nosedives after the first tier of prospects.

This is the former, not the latter so trading up really does not make sense this year.

my original question was if the 2014 draft is so deep. So much deeper than 2015. And if you think we are going to be good and pick late in the rounds next year, why not get more involved with this draft?

I mistrust talent evaluators in general. Every year I see people say things like this draft is the GOAT or that draft is the GOAT, or this one isn't good and that one isn't good and every year year after year its the same thing. At the same time every year I see people like Da'Rick Rogers and Tyler Bray who last year were expected to go high in the draft who ended up going undrafted.

The business about predicting this to me is like trying to predict the NCAA Basketball tournament. Every year people spend hours and even days researching it and never once do they ever get it right. Not that they don't get it right, they never get it right. The only thing even the people who are getting paid to predict do right is always get it wrong.

Now with that out of the way what you are saying is that if we get a late pick next year....I bet the team thought that they would have a late pick this year especially at the end of the 2012 season too. See things don't always go the way any one predicts them to. They can go very wrong like they did this year.

Why would anyone think that after going from NFC East Champs one year to the 2nd worst team in the league the next season that the right thing to do right now is to predict success? It just does not make sense and laughs in the face of reality. This isn't distant past, its the reason we are in this place right now in the first place. At some time you are going to realize high draft picks don't mean anything and the wrong thing to do is to predict success or failure.

In a deep draft the value is in the middle to lower rounds, not the first.

In a top heavy draft is where you may want to consider moving up because the value nosedives after the first tier of prospects.

This is the former, not the latter so trading up really does not make sense this year.

this is true and I agree with you. The Redskins best bet is that some players fall to day two of the draft so that someone hot is waiting when they pick and another team trades up to get him, netting the Redskins more mid round picks.

If a second round pick, is essentially a first round pick and you think well be picking mid to high twenties next year, would you rather have two seconds this year or a high first next year?

I don't believe you make that decision until the draft starts playing out.

If you get to the middle of the second round and there is a guy there that you have rated as a first rounder at a position of need, then I don't think I would have a problem trading next year's first for the second round pick needed to grab them this year.

But a month before the draft trading away next year's first just to have a shot at landing just anybody doesn't make sense to me.

It has to be a particular player you have graded as a first in a position of need that has slipped before you make that swap, not before.

Archived