Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Daryl Johnston belong in the Hall Of Fame? (M.E.T.)

esloan

I ask you to set aside your anti-Cowboys bias as much as possible on this question. I know it is difficult but try for a bit! ;):D;)

Emmitt's induction and his emotional call out to Daryl Johnston really got me to thinking about this question:

Does Daryl Johnston belong in the Hall of Fame?

For me, even as a Cowboys fan, it is a tough question and one in which, I think, there is no correct answer. Looking at Johnston's career, it is hard to deny his impact on the 90's Cowboys and thus on the NFL. On the other hand, he had no stats to speak of and nothing which jumps out at you that would warrant HoF induction.

Let's look at his positives and negatives:

Positive:

• He was instrumental in getting Emmitt Smith to his career record.
  • He was probably one of the greatest blocking fullbacks in NFL history.
  • He was definitely the best fullback of that type in his era.
  • He was completely selfless. He didn't want stats, although he was a great receiving option out of the backfield, he didn't care about rushing yards for himself, he just wanted to win.

Negatives:

• He had no stats at all that would warrant HoF consideration. All of his contributions were subtle and easily missed by casual fans.
  • He was completely overshadowed by the "Triplets".

Yes, I have listed more positives than negatives but those are huge negatives, especially when it comes to HoF voting. Looking at the list I made, I am still torn.

In the end, I think he does deserve it. If for no other reason than it will (hopefully) open up the door to other players like him to get into the Hall. There are a number of players, of all teams, that played a position that did not put up stats but that had a huge effect on the history of the NFL. Daryl Johnston is just one of many.

It all comes down to this, had Emmitt not had Johnston sacrificing his body every time he ran, he most likely would have never even come close to the record. Watching his speech last night, I think he would agree.

What do you folks think?

I much as I love him, no. There just isn't anything to justify it. He will simply have to be satisfied by being a Cowboy fan favorite caught in the shadow of the triplets, just like when he played.

Yeah, I am sure that this is what will happen. I do think, however, that the Hall should start considering guys like Johnston. Most teams have guys like that, ones who do all the dirty work so that the stars can get all the accolades.

I am sure Johnston is just fine not getting in. He knows what he accomplished and he knows that the fans know.

If guys like Monk and Carter have a hard time getting in because of "lack of stats" or "hallmark play" or whatever, there's no way Moose should get in.

I really think the Hall needs to start letting more people in. There are tons of linemen that deserve to be in, but aren't.

I really think the Hall needs to start letting more people in. There are tons of linemen that deserve to be in, but aren't.

Completely disagree. One of the great things about the HOF is that not everyone makes it in. When you open it up to players who had good careers and not great ones, you lose a lot of the exclusiveness.

There hasn't been a "fullback" inducted in the NFL HoF since Larry Csonka and John Henry Johnson were inducted in 1987. Neither of them are what we consider a fullback today, as they rushed the ball as much if not more than they ever blocked. Johnson is 4th all time in Steelers rushing history, and Czona rushed 1,891 times while Johnston had only 232 carries in his career.

There isn't a modern era Fullback in the Hall and shouldn't be until they even discuss admitting players such as Ray Guy and Morten Andersen.

I am not saying yes or no, but the thing is if Daryl Johnston was to get in, then for one it would then set a precedent and to be fair, you'd have to go back and look at fullbacks from all the teams with HOF runningbacks and decide if they had the same impact.

I ask you to set aside your anti-Cowboys bias as much as possible on this question. I know it is difficult but try for a bit!

Winking smilies aside, I don't think the problem is our anti-Cowboys bias as much as it is your pro-Dallas agenda. :)

This may come as a shock to you as seems to most Cowboy fans, but not all Dallas players deserve to be in the HoF.

In fact, most all of them don't. Only a select few.

Just like other teams.

In the case of Johnston, he is most definitely in the camp of many.... not the few. :)

There hasn't been a "fullback" inducted in the NFL HoF since Larry Csonka and John Henry Johnson were inducted in 1987. Neither of them are what we consider a fullback today, as they rushed the ball as much if not more than they ever blocked. Johnson is 4th all time in Steelers rushing history, and Czona rushed 1,891 times while Johnston had only 232 carries in his career.

There isn't a modern era Fullback in the Hall and shouldn't be until they even discuss admitting players such as Ray Guy and Morten Andersen.

you forgot Mosley;)

Archived