Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Browns History, Anecdotes, and Fan Memories

kleese

--Redskins are 10-33-1 all time vs the Browns, which is their second lowest win percentage against any team (Chiefs) and by far the worst percentage against any team they've played more than 10 times.

--Redskins lost their first nine games with the Browns, including a 20-14 defeat in Cleveland in 1950 (the first game ever played between the franchises)

--The 9 game losing streak is actually not the longest in the series. The Browns won 12 straight between 1963-1971

--The Redskins longest win streak is three games spanning ten years (1975-1985). All of those games were played in Cleveland.

--The series is heavily backloaded. Prior to the merger, the teams met 36 times (Redskins were 5-30-1 in those games). Since 1970 they've only met 8 times (Redskins are 5-3 over that span)

--The teams did not meet between the years of 1992-2003, which of course include the three "vacant" seasons in Cleveland after the Browns left for Baltimore.

--Recent meetings have generally been close and low scoring. Only once in the past six meetings has the winning team scored more than 17 points. And only once over those six games has the outcome been decided by more than a touchdown.

My Memories:

Very slim pickings here. My fan memories start in the early 80's, but those years are hit and miss for me. For whatever reason I have no recollection of our win in Cleveland in 1985.

1988: Very vague here. Later season game in RFK; 1988 was our one really "bad" (7-9) year under Gibbs I and if I recall, this loss sort of ended our hopes that year. Looked like we had it won, but I remember both Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner hurting us; the latter scoring a game winning TD. We'd get them back later with the infamous Byner-Mike Oliphant trade.

1991: The game in the series I recall most clearly. Like most games from 1991, this one is etched in my memory. I want to say Merlin Olsen was the analyst for this one on NBC...I remember that because we rarely played on what was the AFC network at the time, and I always really liked Merlin. We messed around with them a little that day a d they briefly got within 4 in the third quarter, but we quickly put them away. Ricky Ervins sealed the 42-17 win with a long TD run. Bright sunny day at RFK...I watched from my gameroom in Tulsa...1991 was glorious.

2004: One of the few games in the past 22 years I've missed. But I didn't mean to. I lived with my wife in Tulsa at the time, but we were in OKC (where I reside now) visiting her family. In addition, my patents and aunts and uncle met us in OKC as well. Everyone wanted to meet Sunday for lunch...not knowing the area all that well at the time, I chose a sports bar downtown figuring I'd slyly be able to watch. I was shocked when we arrived and they told me they didn't have Sunday Ticket. I was pretty pissed, but by that time everyone was there and I was screwed. I followed along as best I could (this was pre phone Internet or text messaging for me) and my friend called me with some updates. I remember feeling good at halftime...and then my friend called and did play by play for our last drive, which ended with a Coles fumble. Frustrating day all around.

2008: Absolutely awful game. Late afternoon start. We had family dinner plans and I was distracted at the end of the game because I knew we had to leave and our game was running long. I recall being relieved we won, but hardly happy. I watched until the end and was late for dinner, but I really don't remember much from the game other than it was horrible and we almost blew it late.

A weird side note...I have two aunts and an uncle that live in Hilton Head and come for a visit each year for a few days sometime between September and Christmas. They were here the weekend we played the Browns in 2004 and 2008.....and they will be here this weekend as well. These are the kinds of things that only interest me I'm sure, but the odds are pretty staggering.

I love these threads.

I remember the 1991 game was against Belichick and those were the first 17 points scored against us at RFK that year. I believe they broke the ice by getting the first points of the season on a fake FG.

2008 was pretty ugly and we almost coughed it up. We dominated the game and finally scored to stretch our lead to 14-3 relatively late in the game. I think we even got the ball back after that but eventually Cleveland scored and got the 2-pointer. They also had a shot to tie with a long FG that missed. We just couldn't put them away and this was one of those later games during our 6-2 "strong" start that had a bad feeling to it.

I went to my very first NFL game in Cleveland when I was 8 in 2000, Redskins vs Browns (preseason). I don't remember much other than the Skins shut out the Browns! Since then I've been dying to see the rematch in person, and Sunday is the time. This will be my first Redskins regular season game too.

I'll try to find a few pics of young SoW and upload them later. :)

i remember in 08 Fletcher led an amazing goal line stand in the fourth. Then Portis had a 25 yard run and fumbled. Then Fletcher led another amazing goal line stand.

i believe ur sig is from that 08 browns vs skins game at fedex field :) i was there with my family. i remember the drunk dude running onto the field. santana moss jacked him up!!!

I was telling my son this story the other day! 1988....Late Nov...

My little sister was turning 7 and was having a Bday party at a roller skating rink..on sunday!! I was 15 and was told I had to go!

Me, and about 6 other dads found a 12 inch color TV in the snack bar, rabbit ears and all (which in 1988 was what you would expect at a snack bar) and put the game on. I actually remember something the guy at the snack bar said to me that STILL sticks with me. Skins were struggling all game (they were 6 and 6 and this game was a must win if we were to make the playoffs), they took a lead and the guy looks at us and goes "Redskins are probably gonna lose this game, but, when they do, remember not to get to down. Look how happy they have made you all for even a little bit! This is why you watch right? To enjoy those brief moments of pure joy? Remember that when the down fall comes too..."

(Skins lost the game and finished 7-9...Worse season ever for Gibbs 1.0

1991: The game in the series I recall most clearly. Like most games from 1991, this one is etched in my memory. I want to say Merlin Olsen was the analyst for this one on NBC...I remember that because we rarely played on what was the AFC network at the time, and I always really liked Merlin. We messed around with them a little that day a d they briefly got within 4 in the third quarter, but we quickly put them away. Ricky Ervins sealed the 42-17 win with a long TD run. Bright sunny day at RFK...I watched from my gameroom in Tulsa...1991 was glorious.

Also, Belichick coaching for the Browns and Art Monk moves to 2nd in All-Time receptions with his tough, over-the-shoulder TD grab:

Highlights at 5:30 mark:

My little sister was turning 7 and was having a Bday party at a roller skating rink..on sunday!! I was 15 and was told I had to go!

Me, and about 6 other dads found a 12 inch color TV in the snack bar, rabbit ears and all (which in 1988 was what you would expect at a snack bar) and put the game on. I actually remember something the guy at the snack bar said to me that STILL sticks with me. Skins were struggling all game (they were 6 and 6 and this game was a must win if we were to make the playoffs), they took a lead and the guy looks at us and goes "Redskins are probably gonna lose this game, but, when they do, remember not to get to down. Look how happy they have made you all for even a little bit! This is why you watch right? To enjoy those brief moments of pure joy? Remember that when the down fall comes too..."

That right there is why I started these threads. Great story.

---------- Post added December-12th-2012 at 04:52 PM ----------

That right there is why I started these threads. Great story.

Also, Belichick coaching for the Browns and Art Monk moves to 2nd in All-Time receptions with his tough, over-the-shoulder TD grab:

Highlights at 5:30 mark:

At the 7:47 mark, Art beats Chase Minnifield's dad, Frank Minnifield (#31) for a catch over the middle. Good stuff. God that team was the best. I'd put that team up against ANY former Super Bowl Champion.

Archived