Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanny Has Two Weeks To Avoid Armageddon

kleese

First of all, I think the "evaluating players" comment is being a tad overblown. He probably shouldn't have said it, but honestly, when I saw it, I thought he was alluding to evaluating players over the bye week. His timing there wasn't very good, but I'm not taking that as a sign of him quitting on the season. A bit of over-sensitivity from the fans if you ask me.

But the fans are sensitive for good reason. It isn't fair to pin 20 years of frustration on a guy that's only been here for 2.5 years of it, but that's reality--- just like politics or anything else in life. When you take the job, you accept the heat. The minute our season looks like it's going to be lost to another November/December of meaningless games, the fans revolt and express their anger. It has happened every year now for at least a decade and it makes life very uneasy and uncomfortable for whoever is calling the shots.

That "bottoming out" moment happened yesterday with the loss to the Panthers. It was a dreadful performance. One we've seen over and over again around this time of the year.

I get frustrated easily...I'll even give up on competitive parts of the season easily, but I don't lose HOPE that easily. I'll hold out hope for a coach/season/player probably too long before I throw in the towel. I haven't thrown the towel yet, but for the first time in the Shanny era, I picked it up yesterday. I have it in hand.

With Zorn, I knew it was bad after 2008, but I gave him about 5/6 games into 2009 before I gave up on him (2009 is still the season where I lost interest the earliest ever). It was about the 10th game in 2003 when I threw in the towel on Spurrier. I was as patient with Norv as one could possibly be....I threw in the towel week 4 of 1998....then again in November of 2000 (that dude continues to have nine lives).

I still hold out hope for Shanny....he's done some nice things. But the results aren't adding up. No matter what the personell situation, the team shouldn't get WORSE as the season progresses. Madieu Williams is no worse today than he was five weeks ago. No reason we can put out a really good effort week 5 vs Atlanta and then lay eggs in weeks 8 and 9.

You want a reason to care about the rest of this season?

How about watching to see if our head coach is any good anymore?

Because a good coaching staff would find a way to make this team better over the final seven weeks.

We've had some tough breaks this year...some really damaging injuries and a few bad luck instances on the field. The team was highly competitive through 7 weeks and then has died the past two weeks. Now, they have a bye week to look at things, regroup, and maybe get some guys a bit healthy. Maybe RG3 has hit a wall as well and needs a week to clear his head.

I should probably just give up right now. Give up on the season and on this staff. I don't blame anyone who has already. I have a close friend who did not watch the game yesterday and said after 20 years he's officially done. We're talking about a die-hard here...but he says he is distancing himself and will only watch if they are on national TV and he has nothing else to do. He says he believes the organization to be hopeless beyond repair and he will no longer subject hinmself to it; not even RG3 has renwed his hope.

I'm not there and likely never will be. It is too much a part of who I am and too much a part of my social calander in the fall. I look forward to football all year and then anticipate each game. In the old days we got AT LEAST 16 weekends per year of anticipation and excitment. Now, we might only get 6 or 7...maybe 10 on a good year, but it's still better than nothing. At least that's how I look at it.

I'll give them one more game, or two more weeks, however you want to look at it. I'll give them a chance to regroup. But the team that takes the field against the Eagles needs to be markedly better than the one that left it vs Carolina.

The season can still be saved. Not in terms of playoffs or making a January run or anything like that, but in terms of feeling good about 2012. It is hanging by a thread, but it's still there. FIVE division games over the last seven provides an opportunity for the Redskins to make an impact and change the culture/expectations a bit.

Here's what will probably happen. I be downtrodden and blah about the Redskins until around this time next week. Then, I'll focus a bit on the Eagles game and convince myself that one win could really turn things for the team. Beat the Eagles and carry that momentum into Thanksgiving....then if you beat Dallas, all of a sudden the season looks pretty darn good. So, I'll think about that and come the morning of the Eagles game I'll be excited enough. Then, they will probably disappoint me...they will probably be a bit better than last week, but not good enough. They will lose and then all hope for the year will be officially lost...at 3-7 not even the world's biggest homer/optimist could get jazzed for Dallas (and I'll be there).

But until it happens I'll hold out hope that this staff can figure out a way to reverse our 20 year trends.

But the towel is in my hands...once I throw it, it's over. I've never been wrong on that before. I've never given up on a player or coach and then had them come back and prove me wrong. Never once. I'm pretty patient and I want to believe so bad that I likely give them too many chances. Once I toss that towel, even if he were to come back next year, I'd expect it to end in disappointment.

C'mon Mike....you have two weeks...show me something.

For the sake of argument, where does the towel sit if the Eagles game (against a shockingly bad Philly team in absolute self destruct implosion mode) is just as bad as that 'showing' yesterday?

Hail.

I want to see it first GHH.....But if we are equally as bad vs the Eagles as we were against the Panthers, I might toss it. Shanny has two jobs....get players and coach them. The "getting players" part is hard and requires patience. But the "coaching" part is more basic. We lost in large part yesterday because we couldn't line up correctly, missed assignments, poor clock managment, questionable play calls, etc...

Those are things that can be fixed and they can be fixed on the fly. If Shanny is unable to fix those issues given two weeks to look everything over, then I'm really not sure if he has anything left to offer.

Nice post. Shanny is about to lose control of yet another season. He has to get things turned around. The last two weeks, it seemed like a deflated football team. I really think the Cruz td blew every bit of confidence we had previously. I have always been a Shanny fan, and still am. However, I am not pleased that we have seen no improvement in 2 1/2 years. I don't care about the cap hit, the injuries, the blown calls or anything else. If we go out and do our jobs. If we don't line up incorrectly. If we don't continually blow coverages. If we don't continually shoot ourselves in the foot by getting a penalty that puts us from a 2 and 5 to a 2 and 15 or 20, then things will never change. Players need to step up, but so do coaches. Let's get this thing moving in the right direction. Let's at least see some effort out there.

HTTR

Nice post. Shanny is about to lose control of yet another season. He has to get things turned around. The last two weeks, it seemed like a deflated football team. I really think the Cruz td blew every bit of confidence we had previously. I have always been a Shanny fan, and still am. However, I am not pleased that we have seen no improvement in 2 1/2 years. I don't care about the cap hit, the injuries, the blown calls or anything else. If we go out and do our jobs. If we don't line up incorrectly. If we don't continually blow coverages. If we don't continually shoot ourselves in the foot by getting a penalty that puts us from a 2 and 5 to a 2 and 15 or 20, then things will never change. Players need to step up, but so do coaches. Let's get this thing moving in the right direction. Let's at least see some effort out there.

HTTR

Completely agree with your assessment on the Cruz TD, I think that popped the players proverbial balloon. They all know Madoo doo Williams is terrible, and there is nothing that can be done. That play ruined this team, look at the performances since. Hopefully, this bye week can re-spark the fire to compete again, division opponents always have a way of doing that. Grasping at straws here, but at least its better than burying my head in the sand until 2013. Gonna need something to do on sundays....

"I got news for ya, it's already here!"

Yesterday's loss was just unforgivable on so many levels. A "must win" in our own words. Week before bye. Home game against bad opponent. Homecoming game. Honoring great Redskins past who were in attendance. One week after laying an egg against the Steelers.

And we laid an egg again. Like we have done so many times over the years when we get our hopes up or when its mindblowing that we can lose a game.

I'll be surprised if we put forth too many more efforts this year like we had vs. NYG, ATL, Minny, etc.

We were 90 seconds from the division lead. 2 games and 90 seconds later, the season is over.

I want to see it first GHH.....But if we are equally as bad vs the Eagles as we were against the Panthers, I might toss it. Shanny has two jobs....get players and coach them. The "getting players" part is hard and requires patience. But the "coaching" part is more basic. We lost in large part yesterday because we couldn't line up correctly, missed assignments, poor clock managment, questionable play calls, etc...

Those are things that can be fixed and they can be fixed on the fly. If Shanny is unable to fix those issues given two weeks to look everything over, then I'm really not sure if he has anything left to offer.

So now this is where "Shanny the GM" is conflicting with "Shanny the coach".. One of them (or both) has to go at some point. But i dont' think both can continue to coexist for the long term. Its just too much, IMO.

The second half of yesterday's game was when I finally lost hope for this current coaching staff.

I wanted to wait until after the halftime adjustments manifested before giving up. Now mind you I wasn't expecting classic Gibbs/Petitbon halftime magic to happen. But these are the 1-6 suck as suck can be Panthers we're talking about that they were facing so I expected SOMETHING.

And what we got was even worse than the first half. When you can't figure out how to deal with a 1-6 team, at home no less, you're time is done.

For the sake of argument, where does the towel sit if the Eagles game (against a shockingly bad Philly team in absolute self destruct implosion mode) is just as bad as that 'showing' yesterday?

Hail.

The Eagles are the main team that bothers me more than any other in the East. They have speed that we cannot match. I think that game will be just as bad.

**** it, I'm a homer. If the Eagles lose tonight, then the whole division lost games over the weekend and we'll have a chance to come back after the bye and do some damage to the division, seeing how our first three games are division opponents. The season isn't over by a longshot but we have to be the team from the first 6 or 7 games of the season not the team of the last two games.

It seems like ever since Santana fumbled that ball against the Giants, we've just totally deflated.

So now this is where "Shanny the GM" is conflicting with "Shanny the coach".. One of them (or both) has to go at some point. But i dont' think both can continue to coexist for the long term. Its just too much, IMO.

agreed...how many Coaches have demanded the GM role and got it and have been successful? As far as I can remember, only Holmgren did it in his first 2-3 years in Seattle (losing the SuperBowl with Hasselbeck) and then that team disintegrated quickly. Schottenheimer went 8-8 here (he might have had a longer tenure, with better success, if Snyder hadn't meddled and wanted to play), Parcell's was mildly successful in Dallas before Jerruh meddled and wanted to play...I really can't think of a successful head coach who was also GM

My prediction for next year: Shanny gets fired (the whole staff goes, except for maybe Raheem Morris), Bruce Allen becomes true GM and reunites with Gruden.

The Eagles are the main team that bothers me more than any other in the East. They have speed that we cannot match. I think that game will be just as bad.

I sadly make you right. I was just posing the question out of interest to the OP, but I'm expecting nothing else than a defeatist ass whooping to a an Eagles team with major problems of their own. And it will doubtless be compounded by all the mishaps, from penalties through clock management through boneheaded personnel mistakes that are blighting us on a far too regular basis for a so called professional team.

And if it does go like that, coming off two weeks to regroup and prepare, then SERIOUS questions about a lot of guys futures here need to be addressed.

Hail.

**** it, I'm a homer. If the Eagles lose tonight, then the whole division lost games over the weekend and we'll have a chance to come back after the bye and do some damage to the division, seeing how our first three games are division opponents. The season isn't over by a longshot but we have to be the team from the first 6 or 7 games of the season not the team of the last two games.

It seems like ever since Santana fumbled that ball against the Giants, we've just totally deflated.

I like it. I am all in until every bit of hope is kicked and stomped out of me by these Redskins. I'm not there yet. I see a lot of people promising not to care anymore because they have better things to do, health, etc. Well I tried not to care and it hurts more not to care honestly.

6-1 or were done!

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 10:25 AM ----------

agreed...how many Coaches have demanded the GM role and got it and have been successful? As far as I can remember, only Holmgren did it in his first 2-3 years in Seattle (losing the SuperBowl with Hasselbeck) and then that team disintegrated quickly. Schottenheimer went 8-8 here (he might have had a longer tenure, with better success, if Snyder hadn't meddled and wanted to play), Parcell's was mildly successful in Dallas before Jerruh meddled and wanted to play...I really can't think of a successful head coach who was also GM

My prediction for next year: Shanny gets fired (the whole staff goes, except for maybe Raheem Morris), Bruce Allen becomes true GM and reunites with Gruden.

Thats a bummer for 2 reasons. 1) I dont think Gruden can turn this around. 2) I dont want to lose Gruden on MNF.

..... We were 90 seconds from the division lead. 2 games and 90 seconds later, the season is over.

As the stark realism begins to set in, there's something intrinsically wrong with your whole structure if one loss, with still another 9 games to play for, however heart-wrenching that loss was; can totally finish your season to all intents and purposes.

Something inherently wrong indeed.

Hail.

This team makes it really, REALLY hard to want to drive 3.5 hours for every home game. I hope they figure this out. It is embarrassing being a Skins fan at times. Hell, I had a 6 year old child in our stadium talking **** to me for 3 hours during the game. He became a Panthers fan 2 days ago. Do you know how annoying / frustrating it is to watch that kind of performance only to have the cackle of an annoying prepubescent child chattering on in your ear for hours? the drive home was quiet and lonely.

The defense is putrid. It cannot get worse. Fire Hasslet today and let Raheem take it over.

Please, dear god, NO! :doh:

If we're going to fire Mike Shanahan, and essentially clean house, I want us to do what we've been needing to do. Hire a young, true up and comer coach (not an obscure position coach like Zorn was) but maybe get a guy like Mike McCoy (OC Denver), Greg Roman (OC San Fran), Vic Fangio (DC San Fran) or Perry Fewell. Hell, promote Kyle for goodness sake.

If Shanahan is out of here, I'm personally done with retreads.

Please, dear god, NO! :doh:

If we're going to fire Mike Shanahan, and essentially clean house, I want us to do what we've been needing to do. Hire a young, true up and comer coach (not an obscure position coach like Zorn was) but maybe get a guy like Mike McCoy (OC Denver), Greg Roman (OC San Fran), Vic Fangio (DC San Fran) or Perry Fewell. Hell, promote Kyle for goodness sake.

If Shanahan is out of here, I'm personally done with retreads.

I am currently more down on Shanny than I ever have been. Maybe there really is something to the age of successful coaching, but Shanny is conflicting with his two positions. If...IF we are talking about replacements...well, ****... I will dream big and look for a Sean Payton. We usually do well with free agents. Not that he would ever leave NO, I don't think.

All of that being said, I'm not giving up on the season. We have a QB that can keep us in every game. I am all set on the Brandon Banks on offense experiment though.

That "bottoming out" moment happened yesterday with the loss to the Panthers. It was a dreadful performance. One we've seen over and over again around this time of the year.

I get frustrated easily...I'll even give up on competitive parts of the season easily, but I don't lose HOPE that easily. I'll hold out hope for a coach/season/player probably too long before I throw in the towel. I haven't thrown the towel yet, but for the first time in the Shanny era, I picked it up yesterday. I have it in hand.

I should probably just give up right now. Give up on the season and on this staff. I don't blame anyone who has already. I have a close friend who did not watch the game yesterday and said after 20 years he's officially done. We're talking about a die-hard here...but he says he is distancing himself and will only watch if they are on national TV and he has nothing else to do. He says he believes the organization to be hopeless beyond repair and he will no longer subject hinmself to it; not even RG3 has renwed his hope.

Yes, we've seen it over and over again. Different year, same mistakes and same results.

I have no more HOPE that things will CHANGE. We should really look into changing our "racist" name from the Redskins, to the Washington Basement Dwellers, because that's our rightful place in the NFC East. Or the Washington Jokes, because that's basically what we are to the rest of the division.

I'm like your friend. I've been a fan since 1976 and this is the worst I've ever felt. I turned the game off after Steve Smith caught the touchdown and had the Broncos-Bengals game on while I read the paper. Then, after I read the paper, I started watching James Bond movies for the rest of the night. I didn't watch anymore football after the 3rd quarter of the Broncos game.

I have no more fight in me. It's not fun anymore. Even when we win, it's heart-wrenching and ugly to watch. I should have washed and waxed my truck yesterday. Per my sig, I give up.

Beating the Eagles won't change anything.

Mike would have to win out to convince me he is the right guy to coach the Skins.

This team plays like losing is it's job.

I disagree with that....if going 10-6 was the only way you'd be satisfied this year then your expectations were too high and unrealistic.

If ALL we do is beat the Eagles, then yeah, it means little.

But lets say we beat Philly and then play well and lose to the Boys on Thanksgivng. Then lets say we split home games with the Ravens/Giants and split road games with the Browns/Eagles then end the season beating Dallas. That would be 7-9 with a very competitive second half of the season. I could take that and feel good about it.

My hope is that if we can beat Philly it will vault us to a positive finish.

Do I have any faith in that happening? Of course not.

But that is my "realistic" hope/goal at this point and if we do it, the season would likely have met my minimum requirements.

Re: Mike Shanahan's statements

The more I listen/read Mike Shanahan's statements in context I wonder if he attempt (albeit failed attmept) was to set up an alibi against poor play for the rest of the season.

Maybe Mike realizes (once again during his tenure) that this team is not as good as he thought?

The fact of the matter is that if a team cannot beat a 1-6 team at home in a "must win game" then the outlook for the rest of the season is bleak.

If Mike meant anything from his statement (which he might not at all) then we should seen some major line-up changes right?

Then if the team struggles he can say well we struggled because we're trying out players and trying to build for the future.

Judging from how docile the media has been with Mike he probably thought he could toss that out there and they would accept it like the accepted a bunch of his other outlandish statements.

Archived