Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS TO HONOR “10 FOR 80” HONOREES AT SUNDAY’S HOMECOMING GAME (Updated)

Mark The Homer

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

October 31, 2012

REDSKINS TO HONOR “10 FOR 80” HONOREES AT

SUNDAY’S HOMECOMING GAME

EASY TWEET: #Redskins to honor “10 for 80” honorees Sunday at the team’s annual homecoming game.

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins will welcome the “10 for 80” honorees, along with more than 150 other Redskins greats, for the team’s annual homecoming game on Sunday, Nov. 4 against the Carolina Panthers. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.

The team will honor the former Redskins legends in attendance, as well as the team’s 80th anniversary, by wearing their new 2012 “anniversary” NFL Nike Elite 51 football uniforms. The uniforms are a modern interpretation of those worn back in 1937 - a year signifying the team’s move from Boston to Washington, D.C., as well as their first National Championship.

The homecoming celebrations will feature an alumni parade with the Redskins Marching Band and Cheerleaders, which will begin at 10 a.m., the annual alumni group photo and the introduction of former players and coaches in attendance.

The “10 for 80” honorees announced at the Welcome Home Luncheon will also be honored at halftime. The honorees, LaVar Arrington, Bobby Beathard, Joe Bugel, Terry Hermeling, Jon Jansen, Roy Jefferson, Richie Petitbon, Clinton Portis, Chris Samuels and Sean Taylor, will join the 70 Greatest Redskins named in 2002 to complete the 80 Greatest Redskins of All-Time.

Alumni expected to attend include Ron Saul, Rick “Doc” Walker, Mark Rypien, Mark Moseley, Bobby Mitchell, Dexter Manley, Sam Huff, Darryl Grant, Chris Hanburger, Ken Harvey, Len Hauss, Gary Clark, Jeff Bostic, Mike Bragg, Larry Brown, Pat Fischer, Sonny Jurgensen, Charley Taylor and George Starke amongst others.

In addition to Sunday’s game, other alumni events include the alumni community giveback and the annual alumni reception, both scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 3. Redskins’ alumni will team up with the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation to give back to the community by building a new playground at a District Alliance for Safe Children (DASH) housing complex.

Redskins homecoming weekend is the culmination of the team’s year-long 80th anniversary campaign to celebrate the Redskins’ rich history and talented alumni.

Highlights from the celebration include the 80th Anniversary Thank You Tour and tour bus, fans voting for the “10 for 80” honorees, alternate uniforms, the 80th Anniversary Kickoff Event in the Redskins Indoor Practice Facility and the team’s annual Welcome Home Luncheon.

Update: The former Redskins greats, more than 200 of them, are going to be introduced, one by one, starting at exactly 12:38 PM. So try to get into your seats before then!

http://blog.redskins.com/2012/11/01/follow-2012-homecoming-festivities-live/

eshead9sjpg.jpg

It is interesting to see Lavar on that list. He was a dominant player when he was on the field, but obviously things ended sourly. I'm more surprised he accepted the invitation after the way he said the team treated him.

I think they have made up. He spoke at one of the 4th and Life events a couple of years ago. I think he said it was the first time he had been back to Redskins Park since he left.

---------- Post added October-31st-2012 at 07:33 PM ----------

In addition to Sunday’s game, other alumni events include the alumni community giveback and the annual alumni reception, both scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 3. Redskins’ alumni will team up with the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation to give back to the community by building a new playground at a District Alliance for Safe Children (DASH) housing complex.

>> Please, Please, Please keep Sam Huff away from the power tools.

I think they have made up. He spoke at one of the 4th and Life events a couple of years ago. I think he said it was the first time he had been back to Redskins Park since he left.

>> Also, Eddie LeBaron will be at a signing event in Fredericksburg VA on Saturday, so I imagine he will be at this too. He is 82 and is coming here from CA.

www.leaderinsports.com for details for Saturday's event.

---------- Post added October-31st-2012 at 07:33 PM ----------

>> Please, Please, Please keep Sam Huff away from the power tools.

I'd be blowing that right off. An engagement party on Redskins Sunday? :ols:

Exactly, that is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. An engagement party on a Sunday morning in the fall? WTF? I assume you will be at the weddding, maybe the rehearsal, probably a shower, perhaps a bachelor party.....I think you can ditch the engagement gig and still be buddies :)

It will really be sad if you folks boo Lavar...seriously.

Yeah, why would people boo a guy who makes his career trashing the team, used Sean Taylor's funeral to talk about himself, called Gibbs a coward who only came back to coach so he could get money for his NASCAR team, left the Skins for a rival over a contract dispute that was his own agent's fault and got said agent suspended, and went to the media saying he was going to leave the team right before a playoff game? I mean, it's not like he's insulted the team many times and in some cases severe ways that merit vitriol from fans.

What's really sad is that fans voted for him in the first place despite knowing all the **** he's pulled.

And we all know he'll speak about it, say he's honored and he's changed, no ill will toward the team, he's a "true" Redskin, etc., and then the next day he'll be on his show trashing the team to ridiculous extents yet again because that's the schtick he's created to "earn" a living.

Honestly, the fact that Lavar is part of this makes the entire thing worthless... What a tragedy.

He wasnt that good, he didnt play that long, and we generally sucked when he was here. He was a big name in college and we used a high draft pick on him. That makes him a redskin great? We might as well honor Orakpo already.

Yeah... haven't decided whether or not to boo Lavar.

Please do not. You may not like him for understandable reasons, but it would reflect poorly on the fan base to boo him I think.

We as a fan base are getting a little too reactionary with our boo-birds. One particular instance of this is forever etched in my memory (the time fans booed Gibbs off the field the week Sean Taylor died, I honestly shed tears over that one). More recently, it was booing Rex Grossman in a pre-season game just for taking the field. These are just two memorable examples of a fairly regular phenomenon. I'm not a Grossman or a Lavar fan, but that kind of thing is ridiculous.

Back on topic, I'm pretty happy with that list overall. I love these guys, especially: Buges, Jansen, Samuels, Portis, Taylor, and Beathard, to say nothing of some of the greats who will be in attendance. I'm looking forward to seeing the ceremony and the throwback uniforms. We really need a win too, so hopefully we can get that to add to the festivity. It should (fingers crossed) be a good week to be a 'skins fan.

My idiot friend has his effing engagement party on a Sunday from 10 - 1. Who the **** does that? I'm super pissed that I'm missing this!

Also super pissed that Arrington is on that list. 144.

I don't have many friends that I would miss a Redskins game for... and the ones I would miss a game for are huge Redskins fans so I don't need to ever worry about that!

Archived