Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 AAA Ultimate Fan Zone (TGC) Thread

MarkB452

I did this last year and got a very favorable response, so here goes for 2010.

BTW, here is the summary for 2009:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?330627-2009-TGC-Final-Summary-Wrap-up

For games that I don't go to, I will need someone to post what the gift item was and I will post it here.

Giants game (1/2) (Edit - Clarence Vaugh filled in for Roy Jeferson)

Our Alumni will be Roy Jefferson - WR - Had played for Steelers and Colts prior to coming to Washington in 1971. Skins traded rookie WR Cotton Speyrer and #1 pick in 1973 for the Colts' #9 pick in 1973 and 1974 and Jefferson. Jefferson was unhappy in Baltimore afer 1970 as he had a verbal agreement with the owner prior to the 1970 season to renegotiate his contract after the 1970 season and the owner later said no. Played in SB V for the Colts and SB VII for the Skins. Also, known for his wild clothes during his playing days. He had a leading role in the movie "Brotherhood of Death" with several other Skins.

Info on Roy Jefferson: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Jefferson

AAA UFZ Menu:

• Sloppy ‘Ques

• Ham <<< <Insert your own Ham sammich joke here>

• Chicken Breast

• Mac & Cheese

• Beans

• Cole Slaw

• Bread Pudding

Gift Item - Wool hat (next to the 2010 yearbook given out at the Bills game, this was the best gift of the 2010 season).

Bucs game (12/12)

Menu:

• Turkey

• Beef Rib Sandwich

• Hot Dogs

• Salad

• Pasta Salad

• Mac & Cheese

• Brownies

Player - Ted Vactor - He played on the 1972 NFC Championship team. He was a DB and wore #29, but was also known for his ability to block FGs.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/VactTe20.htm

Gift Item : Luggage tag shapped like a football (continues the tradition of cheap gifts that we have seen since the 2nd preseason game - last year they gave out Redskins earmuffs at the 2nd to last home game).

AAA had their tent set up and you could spin a prize wheel to win a magnet (approx 45% probability of winning), Key chain (45%), or a AAA UFZ t shirt (10%). Wish they had given out the t-shirts as SWAG this week.

Food was pretty good though a bit cold. It was possible to get the turkey and rib meat w/o a sammich, so I went that route. They also had trouble with the TVs in the tent closest to the escalators. People still come by and pick up your plates when you are done.

Vikings Game (11/28) -

Gift Item - Wrist Band

Menu

• Ribs << YES!!!!

• Pork

• Pulled Chicken

• Beans

• Slaw

• Potato Salad

• Bread Pudding

Alumni player will be Rich Milot:

Richard Paul Milot played his entire nine year career with the Washington Redskins from 1979 to 1987. He played college football at Penn State University and was drafted in the seventh round of the 1979 NFL Draft.

NOTE: Ed Simmons was there instead.

Eagles game (11/15):

The menu for Monday is as follows. The Alumni Player will be Mr. Reggie Branch.

• Brisket

• Hot Link Sausage

• Chicken Wings

• Cole Slaw

• Beans

• Mac & Cheese

• Bread Pudding

Gift Item: ??.

Colts Game 10/17:

The AAA UFZ will be opening at 5pm on Sunday. Stadium lots are opening at 2 PM.

Alumni will be Super Bowl Champ Ricky Ervins.

Ricky Ervins was a rookie running back on the 1991 SB team and wore #32. I met him in Fredericksburg at a local signing. I talked some about the game with the Giants in the Meadow Lands in 1991. He said every time they came out of the huddle, everybody would tell him to hold onto the ball.

Menu AAA UFZ - Colts

• Ribs

• Pulled Chicken

• Hot Dogs

• Cole Slaw

• Beans

• Potato Salad

• Brownies

Gift Item - A little key chain thingie, it was in the shape of a football and had a Redskins logo on it, made of out of hard plastic..not sure but this may have been what was given at the Ravens game?

Packers Game 10/10 (I'll be at the ES tailgate for this, but will get updates from my brother):

Alumni Player - Ravin Caldwell

Ravin spent 6 of his 7 NFL seasons with the Redskins from 1987-1993. He was a linebacker and special teams standout. Ravin appeared in 79 games, starting 14 and won 2 Super Bowl rings during his tenure.

Menu - You spoke and the team listened.........check out this "Kid Friendly" menu:

Smoked Turkey Breast

All Beef Hot Dog

Hamburgers

Pasta Salad

Mac N Cheese

Garden Salad

Dave’s Award Winning Bread Pudding

Free Gift : Necklace/pendant thing

Texans Game 9/19 (I did not attend, but my brother did - updates are from him)

Alumni Player - Roy Jefferson (Roy was ill and did not appear)

Info on Roy Jefferson: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Jefferson

Off the field - Appeared in the movie "Brotherhood of Death"

Menu -

Sloppy Joe Sandwiches

Texas Beef Brisket

Grilled Chicken Breast

Cole Slaw

Mac & Cheese

Wilbur Baked Beans

Hot Fudge Brownie

Free Gift : Key Chain(?)

AAA Booth - Did not take entries for the Cooley jersey which is contrary to what I was told at the Dallas game. You could spin the prize wheel to win a AAA prize.

Dallas Game 9/12::

Alumni Player: Ricky Sanders!! If the president asks you: "Where's Ricky Sanders?" - tell him he's at the AAA UFZ! I've gone to about a dozen of these over the last year or so and he is probably the biggest name to appear at the UFZ/TGC. I may spend more time in the autograph lines than the food lines. :)

Info on Ricky Sanders:

http://www.thehogs.net/History/legends/ricky-sanders.html

If you have the History of the Redskins on DVD, on Disc 1 around the 1:53:00 mark, it has the scene with President Reagan, Doug Williams, and Ricky Sanders following the SuperBowl win over the Broncos.

<< He signed a pic of him catching a pass from Reagan. This was probably some of the longest lines I have seen for the alumni players. I think part of it was he was shaking hands with everybody and a lot of people were taking pics with him. He was also letting people hold one of his SB rings. I got in the autograph line almost as soon as the AAA UFZ opened and went back right before it closed and he was as friendly and outgoing at the end as he was at the beginning....and I did spend more time in the autograph line than the food line. :)

AAA booth - (must be a AAA member) - Collecting entries for an autographed Chris Cooley jersey and they had a prize wheel you could spin and either win a AAA/Redskins key chain or (small) magnet. I won the key chain. Cooley jersey will be awarded at the Texans game. You do not need to be present to win.

<< Other notes : There was a list of events with times on them posted on the stage where the cheerleders perform. but some of the events did not occur and others were just plain wrong. For instance, the cheerleaders finished performing 5 mins before they were supposed to start. I went to the ES tailgate, so I did not eat a lot at the AAA UFZ, but the ribs were pretty good. I did not see canned Iced tea, which had been available at the other games. The guy who was the on stage DJ last year was back as well. I have also passed along suggestions from this thread to have more kid friendly/familiar food (IE hamburgers/hot dogs).

Menu : This week it is Pork Sandwiches, Pulled Chicken Sandwiches, St. Louis Spare Ribs, Cole Slaw, Potato Salad, Beans, and Kahlua Brownie.

Free Gift Item: << Redskins Flag, Pull apart banner thingie, and a Redskins can koozie (which I used at the UFZ).

Ravens Game (8/21):

Alumni Player: Ron Saul (was at AAA UFZ)

Ron Saul was an offensive lineman for the Skins in the mid/late-70's and early 80's. He is one of the few players who played for Allen and Gibbs.

He was on IR in 1982, but has a SB ring and was one of the original hogs. He is good friends with Riggo. BTW, he signs HOG after his name.

http://www.nfl.com/players/ronsaul/profile?id=SAU302028

Free Gift Item : Key chain wristband. Compared to the cool gift we got last week, this was quite lousy. Of the 7 or so times I have gone, this was probably the worst gift item.

Menu:

Dave's Sloppy Q Sammiches

Grilled Chicken Breasts

Texas Beef Briscuit

Mac N Cheese (something for the kids I guess)

Coleslaw

Wilbur Beans

Hot Fudge Kahlua Brownies

Canned Sodas (Coke products), including Iced tea and water.

I also noticed that they had posted a schedule of events, including when the cheerleaders were going to be there. Got a pic of my buddy with Chelsea.

I could not cut the brisket with my spork, so I went back to the tent to see if I could find a plasic knife. One of the women there said they did not have any. I went back to my seat and proceeded to try to poke enough holes in the briscuit with my spork to cut it. One of the guys who was cleaning the tables asked if I needed anything and I asked for a knife since they did not have any where I got my food. He said, let me check the other tent (rats, should have thought of that myself) and he came back promptly with a knife for my friend and me. This is a definite improvement in customer service that I am hoping will continue.

I did NOT go back at half time for the Ravens game.

Bills Game (8/13):

Alumni Player - Pat Fisher - I am checking to see if anybody else will be there with him. As in the past, there have been 2 players.

Info on Pat: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=98336

TD Club - Ron McDole

Will post menu and gift item(s) after the game. I believe the menu is going to be the same each week this year, but we'll see.

Free Gift Item - Redskins 2010 Yearbook ($10 value) -- NICE!!

AAA Free Item - Did not see a booth for this like they had last year.

Menu - Pulled Pork or Chicken Sammiches, Ribs, Baked Beans, Coleslaw, Potato Salad, and Bread pudding. Several choices of sauces to put on your BBQ Sandwich. The hottest variety was labeled "Devil's Spit", but I didn't it was THAT spicy.

I asked Fisher if Ron McDole would be joining him and he said Ron was around somewhere, but I never saw him. Two sets of cheerleaders came through and performed. While I was watching the 2nd group, I noticed a familiar looking woman standing next to me. I asked her if she was Heather (Skins Probowl cheerleader from last year) and she said she was. I asked her a couple of questions about the cheerleading squad. She said they started with 42 this year, but had a few drop out. The squad she was with had 9, but included ES faves Ashley A and Tracey.

As someone else posted, there were people coming around and taking your plates and stuff when you finished. Definite improvement in customer service from last year.

Half time - Reopened with the bar and had sodas, water, and small bags of Doritos, popcorn, etc. Nice to be able to grab a drink for free and w/o having to wait in the long concession lines that were on the lower level on the visiting side of the field, but I still missed Banks' punt return for a TD.

We had a great time, it's a whole new experience at the tailgate zone. Food was much better along with service. The ribs were moist and delicious. Pulled pork and chicken was awsome, the employees were walking around and clearing your empty plates etc... I asked a young lady in charge about half time meals and she said there is going to be food and beverges but when we showed up there was only chips and sodas. Danny listened and I am impressed with the improvements.

The food was very good last week, but the menu didn't offer much for the younger kids.....i.e., no hot dogs, no burgers, no chips (the chips finally showed up at halftime).

A lot of kids won't eat the pulled pork, pulled chicken or ribs. It would be nice if they had hot dogs and/or burgers for the children, and chips before the game. Hopefully someone from Famous Dave's or the Redskins will read this. The passes are very pricey and it is frustrating when there is limited food choices for the kids.

BTW, for those folks who were scoring passes from Great Atlantic Travel last year for $25 or less, it looks like no luck this year. I asked them about passes and got this reply:

We did not receive any tailgates from the Skins this year. We can quote other prices that others have but they will not be as cheap as 20-25 dollars.

Thanks,

Ray J Megginson

Great Atlantic Travel and Tour

1065 Laskin Road Suite 101

Virginia Beach, VA 23451

(757)422-9001/(800)888-8233

www.greatatlantictravel.com

How do we find out what alumni are going to be there each week? It is much better this year than the past but still extremely overpriced. The customer service has gotten a little better. The opening again at halftime is wonderful. Gift last night was terrible...went right in the trashcan.

Just curious, do they never not recycle the same players?

I know for sure Ron Saul has been there a number of times. Mike Bragg, Pat Fischer. I don't do the tailgate club often. The few times I have it seems to be the same players.

I've only been going on a regular basis since 2009, but I have heard people comment that they seem to have the same guys again and again. I have yet to see a HOF'er at the TGC/AAAUFZ, but players on the 70 Greatest Redskins are pretty common. I think Charley Taylor was at the TDC last year. In 2009, 2 alumni players were at the TGC, but at both of the games this year there was only one. BTW, I believe Mike Nelms was at the TGC 2x last year. I work on a few charity golf tournaments, so getting mini-helmets and balls signed at the TGC always results in some raffle prizes for the golf tournaments and/or gifts for my nephews. I am amazed that they don't sell minihelmets or player pics at the TGC. If you had nothing to get signed, Saul was signing pieces of paper. Fischer was signing the picture that had the cheerleader ambassadors on it.

I've only been going on a regular basis since 2009, but I have heard people comment that they seem to have the same guys again and again. I have yet to see a HOF'er at the TGC/AAAUFZ, but players on the 70 Greatest Redskins are pretty common. I think Charley Taylor was at the TDC last year. In 2009, 2 alumni players were at the TGC, but at both of the games this year there was only one. BTW, I believe Mike Nelms was at the TGC 2x last year. I work on a few charity golf tournaments, so getting mini-helmets and balls signed at the TGC always results in some raffle prizes for the golf tournaments and/or gifts for my nephews. I am amazed that they don't sell minihelmets or player pics at the TGC. If you had nothing to get signed, Saul was signing pieces of paper. Fischer was signing the picture that had the cheerleader ambassadors on it.

That's what I figured.

I met Doc Walker and George Starke there. Doc Walker was promoting his business and his wifes real estate business, but wasn't part of the "official" guest list. George Starke was getting a drink, not sure why he was there.

Seems like Ron Saul is a staple. :D

I guess they don't pay real well for an appearance.

So it sounds like the AAATGC will get a few names of note from the alumni base, but no ROFers and certainly not any HOFers.

Meanwhile, the TDC will get the ROFers, but probably not any HOFers.

HOFers are probably reserved for the suite holder's and Owner's Club functions since there are only a few of them to go round. Sonny, Sam, Darrell, and Gibbs. Riggo and Russ are obviously out of the equation.

BTW, if you are looking for good prices on mini-helmets to get autographed at the AAA UFZ, I buy a lot of mine here:

www.scorehere.com << Set up an account and you can often get Skins mini-helmets for $16.99 each. They have all the styles dating back to the one with the feather on the back as well as the 1982 helmet. Buy $20+ worth of Riddell products and get free shipping.

I try to take at least one mini-helmet from the time the alumni player played and get that signed. Pat Fischer signed one of the R helmets from 1970-71 and talked about how Lombardi had designed that helmet based on the Packers helmet (which I knew), but it was cool to hear him talk about it.

You can also often find pictures of their football cards here as well. I printed out Fischer's first Redskins card and had him sign it. The cheerleader ambassadors got a kick out of seeing a pic of him from the late 1960's.

www.redskinscardmuseum.com

I have gotten the white Redskins autograph balls at Dick's Sporting Goods for $25 and for even less with the coupons out of the Attractions Book.

I never had a problem bringing stuff into the AAA UFZ, though I do carry all the stuff in a huge clear bag from a Redskins store.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived