Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFP: Williams over Okung a 'big mistake'

SkinsGuru

Wes Bunting's opinion seems to be the consensus among most draft nicks, though he's probably exaggerating slightly by calling it a 'big mistake'. I don't agree with those that think Trent represents the sky falling, and that he'd be a bust. At worst, he's not as good as Okung, but still a solid player. He's the better zone blocker, and the more versatile of the two, but having watched both play... I have to be honest with myself in saying he's simply not as good as Okung 1 v 1 vs. the pass rush. He's also not as consistent down-in and down-out as Okung was. His ceiling seems to be higher though, and if he works at it, can be a Pro Bowl player.

Only time will tell...

Trent Williams, Washington Redskins

There’s just no way I can be sold on the idea that Trent Williams is the best offensive tackle in the draft, and I believe the ‘Skins made a big mistake passing on Russell Okung. I get the fact that Williams made more sense for Washington because he has a little more range in space, making him a better fit for its zone blocking scheme. However, I thought there was a clear advantage in favor of Okung in pass protection, which is why I ultimately saw him as the better future NFL player. Williams does have the range out of his stance to reach speed off the edge, but my biggest concern is his struggle to cleanly redirect on any kind of counter move. Every time I watched tape of him, he struggled to keep his base down and maintain a proper pad level when trying to quickly change directions, resulting in penetration on any kind of hard counter move back inside. Now, do I think he’s a capable NFL tackle? Yes, but I still believe he’s better suited for the right side and is simply not the same caliber prospect as Okung.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-round_one_reactions_html-2010427

Getting to the next level ie the line backers and the back side block were two attributes the skins think that williams has over okung. The ZBS covets more nimble swifter personnel than we are probably use too in our linemen. Given the speed rushers and fast linebakers we have in our division speed, agility and maneuverability take precedence over brute force. Running under a 5.0 40 for a 300+ lb man is pretty remarkable. His strength will be vastly increased IMO. It has to. Time will tell.

Getting to the next level ie the line backers and the back side block were two attributes the skins think that williams has over okung.
That's exactly why we took him over Okung, I 100% trust Shanny's decisions when it comes to his O-line and running game. He knows who he needs and who he doesn't, and as good as Okung is, Williams is the man who fits our new system. I don't think anyone will be complaining after we lead the league in rushing this season, or be in the top 5 at the least. I hope to God defenses are dumb enough to stack the line and disrespect our passing game like they did last season, because they will get their azz torched this year.

I haven't watched tons of tape on each player, but the highlight vids I've seen it's clear that Okung is the more polished, pro-ready player with terms of technique. That said Williams does seem to be more rangy and the better athlete, but he'll need to be coached up to maximize his potential. He may end up not being the prototypical LT. Was he worth the 4th pick in the 1st round? Only time will tell.

Originally Posted By Some Random Draftnik

I get the fact that Williams made more sense for Washington because he has a little more range in space, making him a better fit for its zone blocking scheme.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-round_one_reactions_html-2010427

I stopped reading after I read that. So we made a pick that was a better fit for our team, yet we made a "big mistake"? Sure thing, slugger.

He may end up not being the prototypical LT.

Or he may wind up being the best LT prospect in this draft. We don't know. All that we do know is that we took the guy that fits our scheme the best from an athletic/build/style of play stand point.

I stopped reading after I read that. So we made a pick that was a better fit for our team, yet we made a "big mistake"? Sure thing, slugger.

Haha yeah pretty funny.....im personally not sold, as I think I would have rather taken Okung......but this guy basically kills his whole arguement with that statement.

I'll bite... Just because I want to talk football...

Why would you have rather taken Okung?

You know the other side to that argument is that Okung could easily have been over-rated and will fail. It is not like it has not happened before.

I am just happy we took one of the two top OL prospects instead of reaching for a QB. If Shanny thinks Williams is his guy, then okay, but certainly much hinges for him on this pick. We have to assume he knows what he needed and wanted with the choice.

He also had a history in Denver of smaller more atheletic lineman. So the choice should not shock anyone.

You know the other side to that argument is that Okung could easily have been over-rated and will fail. It is not like it has not happened before.

I am just happy we took one of the two top OL prospects instead of reaching for a QB. If Shanny thinks Williams is his guy, then okay, but certainly much hinges for him on this pick. We have to assume he knows what he needed and wanted with the choice.

He also had a history in Denver of smaller more atheletic lineman. So the choice should not shock anyone.

Not sure why you quoted me :ols:

I'll bite... Just because I want to talk football...

Why would you have rather taken Okung?

Because I think the draft is an enourmous crap shoot.......and I would rather take players that are more the "sure thing" (yes I know nobody is a sure thing).........but Okung is closer to that. I think drafting on potential alone at the #4 spot is a very risky move.

It just worries me.......im sure the guys going to be good......but most of the time the "project" NFL players dont pan out.....

Im sure the media is making him to be way more of a "project" than he really is though.........I guess its hard to make judgements right now until hes on the practice field.......blocking Orakpo.

Plus this is a passing league......and Mcnabb excels at throwing the ball down the field, which requires time. Its my understanding that Okung is the superior pass blocker.......sure we are going to run the ball with Shanny.....but we are going to need to have time to get the ball down the field as well.....something we didnt have much of last season.

I think Williams was the pick Shanahan had to take. If Williams turns into a perennial probowl LT like his predecessor Samuels, then it cements Shanahan as the correct choice from year one. I don't think Snyder brought Shanahan in to make the safe choices, that hasn't been the style of Snyder since he bought the team.

Plus this is a passing league......and Mcnabb excels at throwing the ball down the field, which requires time. Its my understanding that Okung is the superior pass blocker.......sure we are going to run the ball with Shanny.....but we are going to need to have time to get the ball down the field as well.....something we didnt have much of last season.

Okung is not that much better than Williams in pass pro, although he is slightly better. Okung does a better job on the counter moves, but overall Williams isn't too far behind. His pass protection will need to progress at the NFL level, but it's not as bad as some of these people try to make it out to be.

Okung is not that much better than Williams in pass pro, although he is slightly better. Okung does a better job on the counter moves, but overall Williams isn't too far behind. His pass protection will need to progress at the NFL level, but it's not as bad as some of these people try to make it out to be.

Okung also dominated Williams on the bench press. Guys going to have to be pretty strong to deal with Ware, Tuck, and Cole 6 times a year.

I know they are just stupid combine numbers........but they make for some good discussion anyway :D

All these negative articles should serve Williams well in his motivation to excell at this level. I hope he is reading this and steam is coming from his ears and nose. Dig in, work hard and prove them all wrong.

I hoping that this is true and that Capers dropping to the 7th gets both guys motivated in the gym. Strength seems like the biggest knock on both guys. It would be great if they could both come in feed off each other and the negativity.

Okung also dominated Williams on the bench press. Guys going to have to be pretty strong to deal with Ware, Tuck, and Cole 6 times a year.

I know they are just stupid combine numbers........but they make for some good discussion anyway :D

This is one concern that I'll gladly accept. Williams simply isn't all that strong. His bench press reps are pretty low for a 300 lb. lineman. Fortunately, though, bench press strength isn't necessarily what being a lineman is all about. I'd rather see his Squat and deadlift (or clean) numbers. I'm still not sure why those aren't things that these guys look at.

I've never understood the complete fascination with the bench press for a football player. Sure, if you can bench big weight you have a strong upper body, and a strong upper body is important for a lineman, but the most important aspect of strength performance is what you can do on your squat.

I wish we had those numbers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't most of the power to block these guys come from the legs?

I know bench is indicitive of the amount of time one has spent in the gym, but with a 4.8 40, his drive is really strong. He should be able to push back with them tree trunks he has below his waist.

Archived