Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why don’t any Redskin players wear the Team Captain Patch on Game Jerseys?

S4L

Tell me if I’m wrong, but has anyone noticed that no one on the team wears a captain patch on his uniform? I’ve seen just about every other team do it.

We all know that Goodell made this change at the beginning of last year to designate team captains on the field similar to hockey. Not sure what the 4 or 5 stars are for underneath the “C”, but I would assume the stars marks every year you are a captain.

Just wanted to know if anyone else noticed or even cares about it.

They choose new captains for every game, so they were allowed to skip the commisioner's initiative. Unsewing and resewing patches for every game would be a little over-the-top...(I think there were a couple other teams in the same boat.)

Yep, It's a revolving door for captains chosing each week. 1 defense, 1 offense, and I am pretty sure a special teamer. A bunch of teams are in the same boat. I actually think the patriots do the same thing. I actaully kind of like the C thing and I hope we have permanent captains, especially since a few of the Skins (Rock, CP, London) emerged as great leaders after Sean Died.

From a WP article about the subject:

"A player receives a gold star for each year he is a team captain..."

"Teams were allowed to determine how they wanted to select their captains. Six teams -- the Ravens, Redskins, Packers, Jaguars, Vikings and Eagles -- opted for weekly captains, which means some of the league's biggest stars and archetypal leaders -- Lewis, Steve McNair, Brett Favre and Donovan McNabb -- aren't wearing the patches...The patches are not mandatory."

As dumb as this may sound, I never even knew any team wore them.

I am sailing in the good ship "never noticed" along with you then buddy. I thought we had different captains every week for coin tosses etc (from reading the Captain Chaos story a while back) but I never realised other teams had designated captains.

They choose new captains for every game, so they were allowed to skip the commisioner's initiative. Unsewing and resewing patches for every game would be a little over-the-top...(I think there were a couple other teams in the same boat.)

I could be wrong, but don't the players get new jerseys every week? This is one area where I'm not quite sure.

I'd say the reason we didn't have the patch wasn't because of sewing and unsewing, but rather the fact that we have rotating captains.

As dumb as this may sound, I never even knew any team wore them.

For reference to those who didn't notice the captain patches, this is an example:

peytonmanningc.jpg

From the WP article on it: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/02/AR2007100202457.html

'Teams that designate season-long captains can have up to six players wear the "C" patch on their uniforms. The patches are not mandatory.

"We felt that re-establishing the role of captains, where you could see that leadership come through in the locker room on a season-long basis, was critical," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told ESPN's Chris Mortensen in an interview in early September. "So we're celebrating, we're acknowledging and we're promoting the values that come with being captains and that leadership responsibility that comes with it." '

"Teams were allowed to determine how they wanted to select their captains. Six teams -- the Ravens, Redskins, Packers, Jaguars, Vikings and Eagles -- opted for weekly captains, which means some of the league's biggest stars and archetypal leaders -- Lewis, Steve McNair, Brett Favre and Donovan McNabb -- aren't wearing the patches...The patches are not mandatory."

That's strange because Favre did wear the "C" patch all season.

2145z12.jpg

I could be wrong, but don't the players get new jerseys every week? This is one area where I'm not quite sure.

I'd say the reason we didn't have the patch wasn't because of sewing and unsewing, but rather the fact that we have rotating captains.

Good point -- they may not re-use jerseys from game-to-game.

If you look at my first post, you'll see that I suggested the 'Skins' non-participation was because of rotating captains; the sewing was mostly an afterthought. (It was one reason why rotating captains might make the patch thing less usable.)

That's strange because Favre did wear the "C" patch all season.

That is odd. I was just quoting the article, so I have no idea what happened. I guess either the WP got their information wrong, or the Packers changed their mind.

I'd give em to:

Cooley

Samuels

Jansen

Portis

Rock

Fletch

If we're going to do it we better give one to Cambell. A couple teams did not have Qb's with the "C" and I would say that says a lot about the Qb.

Arizona actually gave Rackers the "C" but not Leinart. Not a good sign for Leinarts leadership abilities. :laugh:

I think it's actually a good idea, and is a mark of honor for anyone who earns it. I read an article saying something that it becomes problematic for teams that already have multiple patches on their jerseys for whatever reason.

Tell me if I’m wrong, but has anyone noticed that no one on the team wears a captain patch on his uniform? I’ve seen just about every other team do it.

We all know that Goodell made this change at the beginning of last year to designate team captains on the field similar to hockey. Not sure what the 4 or 5 stars are for underneath the “C”, but I would assume the stars marks every year you are a captain.

Just wanted to know if anyone else noticed or even cares about it.

Jason Campbell wears the patch!

Archived