Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Titans-CJ2K Contract Situation

ACW

Then you're really failing to take advantage of a GREAT value play. If you can get him around 7th overall right now, that's a huge steal. The holdout will continue another week or so, but he flew in to negotiate today. No deal yet, but he's at least there negotiating.

There's been no proof that CJ can thrive with Munchak's scheme. Jeff Fischer produced a lot of good running backs. No doubt CJ is special and deserves to be among the highest paid RB's in history (which the Titans agree with)... but best player in league? That's dumb.

CJ put up all those crazy fantasy stats on a losing team. that tells you his impact right there. He doesn't make one. if you want to give an insane amount of money to one guy, there is only one position that it makes sense for. And it's not RB.

Then you're really failing to take advantage of a GREAT value play. If you can get him around 7th overall right now, that's a huge steal. The holdout will continue another week or so, but he flew in to negotiate today. No deal yet, but he's at least there negotiating.

He already flew out as well. From the sound of it they are still miles apart.

I remember when I took CJ 2nd overall a couple of years ago. After Peterson but before Turner, Jones-Drew, Forte and Co. I was mocked. Then he rushed for 2000 yards and I won the league.

Remember that McD5? I think it was you I crushed in the championship game. Does it still sting?

Anyway, I have others ahead of him. Especially with the QB situation in Tennessee. But I will definitely be looking at him if I'm picking #5 or later.

Is "CJ2K" a thing?

That's a mouthful.

---------- Post added August-25th-2011 at 11:58 AM ----------

CJ put up all those crazy fantasy stats on a losing team. that tells you his impact right there. He doesn't make one. if you want to give an insane amount of money to one guy, there is only one position that it makes sense for. And it's not RB.

That's always going to be the problem inherent in the NFL's salary structure. And it's only going to get worse with a rookie scale. You can run a running back into the ground for his first five years and when it's time to cash in, it's "Sorry...you are used up...."

Players - and especially RBs - are starting to figure this out.

As long as this downward spiral continues it makes my 16th round selection of Javon Ringer seem so much more like a steal. CJ2K keep holding out buddy, and remember never take the first or second or even third offer :evilg:

If I had a free roster spot on the week to week basis I would make it a point to pick up RInger because of his potential if CJ was to go down.

Just saw this on PFT; there's speculation right now that CJ might request a trade:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/25/trade-request-could-be-next-step-for-chris-johnson/

Personally, I just don't see this happening. The only way the Titans would make out on such a deal is if they could get at least a 1st and 2nd rounder or an equally valuable franchise player. With the rookie wage scale, draft picks are now too valuable and teams that have franchise players that they can afford to trade (e.g., the Eagles) probably don't have the cap room for the contract that CJ will demand.

They should let him sit Whether he plays or not, they will suck. So why renegotiate a new contract again this year? They just gave him a new contract last year. If he doesn't like what they are offering, just let him sit. Running backs are a dime a dozen. Ask the Chiefs how smart it was to pay Larry Johnson.

[/color]

That's always going to be the problem inherent in the NFL's salary structure. And it's only going to get worse with a rookie scale. You can run a running back into the ground for his first five years and when it's time to cash in' date=' it's "Sorry...you are used up...."

Players - and especially RBs - are starting to figure this out.[/quote']

RB's will always have the right to hold out- though it is a bit harder to do nowadays. Chris Johnson should be paid as the highest at his position- the Titans agree- but this "top pay in the NFL" thing is ****ing ridiculous. You pay Peyton Manning and Drew Brees top money. You pay Chris Johnson as a running back on a 6 win team.

Archived