Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You lost me. What's the plan again?

gorebd82

I have been the optimistic, homer Skins fan for a while now. Especially since the return of Joe Gibbs, I've been able to rationalize almost all of the moves made by the Skins. But for the first time, I am petrified about our progress.

For every Lloyd and Archuleta, I understood why we made the move even if it didn't pan out. I saw the signings of Springs, Carter, etc. as good moves to bring in high character players that raised the team's talent level from the disgraceful roster of the Spurrier era.

Even last year, I understood the logic of skipping out on a weak year of free agency because we weren't in position to win it all and spend 3 draft picks on pass catchers. We seemed to be hedging our bet so that we could see at least one develop into a playmaker in their second season.

I bring up all of this to say that the Haynesworth signing seemed like the final move to me. I know that plenty of people will say that we are more than one piece away, but I felt the opposite. Every team has holes, and just because you can say that our line isn't young enough or we don't have a stud at LDE, that doesn't mean that we don't have enough pieces.

The Steelers have a suspect offensive line and secondary. Cardinals have a very suspect OL and running game.

The way I saw it was that we had a top 4 defense that acquired a player to push us to the Steelers/Ravens level of dominance. With our established running game and more development/continuity of the passing game, I felt we had enough talent to make a run. We just needed to bring in some competition/depth. We were good enough to sweep the Cards and Eagles and go 3-3 in the best division. Haynesworth may have been enough to get us a few more wins, maybe even a division crown. I honestly believe that any of the 4 NFC East teams are capable of winning a championship if we get on a roll like the Eagles this year or the Giants last year (even the Cowgirls).

With Fat Albert, I felt that Carter would get better pressure, Fletcher would be protected, the DBs could cause turnovers from the increased pressure, and most importantly, I felt Jason Taylor could redeem himself with a performance reminiscent of his defensive MVP campaign. I felt his versatility to play DE or SAM would allow him to be used in multiple ways and not force our hand at the draft. I thought we could work on getting backups/camp competition through the remainder of free agency for the OL, LDE, and OLB. We could take the best DE, LB, or OT available and then supplement our FA pickups/camp competition with the rest of our picks.

Then yesterday was a rude awakening. Cutting Taylor blew my mind. Especially since it was over offseason workouts. That tells me that neither side wanted it that bad. The chance for Taylor to redeem himself is now just a set of draft picks that we will see no return for. Grabbing Haynesworth was a move to put us over the top, but why get rid of a potential HOFer if that's the plan? And don't tell me that its for the cap space to sign a bunch of tier 2 FAs. That's what got us Brandon Lloyd/Archuleta types in the first place.

That raises my question, "What is the ****in plan?" I thought I had it, but this move makes everything that I've ever rationalized and argued about completely moot. Now I'm starting to sway towards the thinking of our chicken little fans and think that maybe we are just making random moves with no long term direction.

P.S. Sorry I had to vent.

Taylor did nothing for the Skins except steal money. He was too undersized for the brutal NFC East and the Skins decided to get younger at the position, which is what fans on here have been clamoring for YEARS.

That said, there really is no plan at Redskins Park. Every year it's a different book but the same story. Bringing in Taylor in the first place was a horrible move, so I am glad he is gone. Sad that draft pick is wasted, but I'll wait to cry BS on that one until I see who Miami is able to select with that pick. :doh:

Not sure how releasing Taylor shoots any "plan" in the foot or anything. I don't really see what you are so upset about. I certainly was not against keeping him or anything, but at his salary and with his age and lack of full committment I don't see what a big deal it is to let him go. It would have been intriguing to see how they used him, but there is also no reason to believe he'd return to his former glory. This gives us the opportunity to continue getting younger.

I don't think signing (or having) Jason Taylor was ever really part of the plan. If it were, they would have signed him before Daniels and Buzbee was injured. If so, then cutting him isn't deviating from the plan, trading for him was.

Agreed with this. We are incapable of coaching up any of our players. Whether it is D-line or wide receivers, no one ever plays to their ability, or improves over the years.

Therefore, we have to pay through the nose for free agents.

JT was a short-term fix, nothing more.

Why does Stan Hixon have a job here again?

Welcome to the rest of us. I think a lot of us were a bit shocked by that after everything that was said, but it is sounding like Taylor is really losing his desire to play. From everything I was reading, it sounds like he's pretty close to hanging it up and playing with his kids.

As for what's the plan, probably similar to the plan restructuring Taylor would have facilitated: going through and filling holes via relatively cheap FAs. The only difference is that we have another hole to fill. I look at this as an opportunity for the young guys to step up and make themselves a spot on this team.

Not sure how releasing Taylor shoots any "plan" in the foot or anything. I don't really see what you are so upset about. I certainly was not against keeping him or anything, but at his salary and with his age and lack of full committment I don't see what a big deal it is to let him go. It would have been intriguing to see how they used him, but there is also no reason to believe he'd return to his former glory. This gives us the opportunity to continue getting younger.

Even with the baggage, he is ridiculously talented and has plenty in the tank. Last year was a freak injury. Great about the cap space and getting younger, but we lost draft picks in the process. I was fine with giving up the draft picks for 2 years of JT, but cutting him at this point seems stupid. We cut him without seeing what he could really do for us. We never saw the full returns on our investment. And if we were that concerned with team age and salary, then we shouldn't have made the move in the first place.

Well yesterday morning we had signed Haynesworth as part of a plan to free up Taylor to make plays on the QB... now Taylor is gone. So it sorta messed up that "plan."

Our plan is to seem like we have no plan.

Only to suprise the other teams that we do have a plan, but they'll have no idea what that plan is.

If that plan faults, we move on to plan b. Which has yet to be thought of yet.

This made me laugh...and possibly is the truth.

The bottom line is this: You can not judge the J Taylor release until we see what the Skins do with the cap space. I think there is some potential to do some great things now, but you've got to reserve judgment.

Can they use the cap space in mid-season to extend the contracts of current players? if so, maybe if guys like Rogers and Campbell are having breakout seasons they might use the extra cap space to do that. Someone else mentioned using it for that purpose, which I had not really thought about.

At this point, I'm about to say f*** the plan. I was all for letting Campbell potentially blossom this season with hopes of being a contender. But since we moved a step away from being a contender and Campbell's situation is so dicey, let's just go ahead and put together a package for Cutler. Tell Zorn it'll buy him one more season and let's get a sure franchise QB. Sorry JC, I was your biggest advocate, but now we might as well realize that the FO doesn't plan on going to the next level this season.

At this point, I'm about to say f*** the plan. I was all for letting Campbell potentially blossom this season with hopes of being a contender. But since we moved a step away from being a contender and Campbell's situation is so dicey, let's just go ahead and put together a package for Cutler. Tell Zorn it'll buy him one more season and let's get a sure franchise QB. Sorry JC, I was your biggest advocate, but now we might as well realize that the FO doesn't plan on going to the next level this season.

All because they cut Taylor? lol...

It seems to be to get younger and shore up the lines. At least that's what I take away from an offseason of signing a 27 yr old elite DT, re-signing a 25 yr old CB, signing a 27 yr old guard, releasing a 32 yr old LBer, releasing a 34 yr old CB, and releasing a 36 yr old DE.

I have been the optimistic, homer Skins fan for a while now. Especially since the return of Joe Gibbs, I've been able to rationalize almost all of the moves made by the Skins. But for the first time, I am petrified about our progress.

For every Lloyd and Archuleta, I understood why we made the move even if it didn't pan out. I saw the signings of Springs, Carter, etc. as good moves to bring in high character players that raised the team's talent level from the disgraceful roster of the Spurrier era.

Even last year, I understood the logic of skipping out on a weak year of free agency because we weren't in position to win it all and spend 3 draft picks on pass catchers. We seemed to be hedging our bet so that we could see at least one develop into a playmaker in their second season.

I bring up all of this to say that the Haynesworth signing seemed like the final move to me. I know that plenty of people will say that we are more than one piece away, but I felt the opposite. Every team has holes, and just because you can say that our line isn't young enough or we don't have a stud at LDE, that doesn't mean that we don't have enough pieces.

The Steelers have a suspect offensive line and secondary. Cardinals have a very suspect OL and running game.

The way I saw it was that we had a top 4 defense that acquired a player to push us to the Steelers/Ravens level of dominance. With our established running game and more development/continuity of the passing game, I felt we had enough talent to make a run. We just needed to bring in some competition/depth. We were good enough to sweep the Cards and Eagles and go 3-3 in the best division. Haynesworth may have been enough to get us a few more wins, maybe even a division crown. I honestly believe that any of the 4 NFC East teams are capable of winning a championship if we get on a roll like the Eagles this year or the Giants last year (even the Cowgirls).

With Fat Albert, I felt that Carter would get better pressure, Fletcher would be protected, the DBs could cause turnovers from the increased pressure, and most importantly, I felt Jason Taylor could redeem himself with a performance reminiscent of his defensive MVP campaign. I felt his versatility to play DE or SAM would allow him to be used in multiple ways and not force our hand at the draft. I thought we could work on getting backups/camp competition through the remainder of free agency for the OL, LDE, and OLB. We could take the best DE, LB, or OT available and then supplement our FA pickups/camp competition with the rest of our picks.

Then yesterday was a rude awakening. Cutting Taylor blew my mind. Especially since it was over offseason workouts. That tells me that neither side wanted it that bad. The chance for Taylor to redeem himself is now just a set of draft picks that we will see no return for. Grabbing Haynesworth was a move to put us over the top, but why get rid of a potential HOFer if that's the plan? And don't tell me that its for the cap space to sign a bunch of tier 2 FAs. That's what got us Brandon Lloyd/Archuleta types in the first place.

That raises my question, "What is the ****in plan?" I thought I had it, but this move makes everything that I've ever rationalized and argued about completely moot. Now I'm starting to sway towards the thinking of our chicken little fans and think that maybe we are just making random moves with no long term direction.

P.S. Sorry I had to vent.

Cutting Taylor blew your mind?

Maybe it was just me, but what blew my mind was when the Redskins basically said they would retain Taylor and his 8.5M dollar salary next year.

I'm not a JT basher by anymeans. I believe we never really saw a healthy enough Jason Taylor to really form an honest opinion about the guy. I also, believe the organization mishandled his injury, but that argument is for another day.

The plan is to win.

What your wrong about is that we didn't sign Adam Archeluta, or Brandon Lloyd to be "second tier" free agents.

Danny and Vinny signed those guys (contract wise) as A+ free agents, which was obviously wrong.

Haynesworth IMHO is a completley different animal. I believe instantly he makes your football team better. I don't buy into "he's fat, and lazy and takes plays off".

There are a handful of DL in this entire football league who will play 3 downs for an entire football game. If they do they usually don't last the entire season because when the important games matter they tend to be out of gas.

I believe the rotation of DL that Coach Blache will use this season is going to have a MAJOR impact on this defense.

Your Front 7 (and Front 4 in particular) is the most important thing in Coach Blache's scheme. He's not a guy who is going to bring a ton of blitzes. He would rather pressure be created from the Front 4, which allows his LB's and the seconday to make plays.

Your Front 7, and your secondary go hand in hand. Actually, our secondary did a excellent job last season with the pathetic pass rush that we displayed most of the season.

Personally, I'm excited to see how this seconday operates with HOPEFULLY a type of pass rush that will allow them to make plays.

Remember, we had a darn good defense WITH OUT Jason Taylor. Life will go on without him.

Archived