Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly.com "Pinkston's Last Chance With The Skins"

Number5

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20070824_Pinkston_could_face_last_chance_with_Skins.html

Pinkston could face last chance with 'SkinsBy PAUL DOMOWITCH

pdomo@aol.com

ASHBURN, Va. - Preseason games once held little significance to Todd Pinkston. Like most veterans at the top of the depth chart, his primary goal was to get through them without breaking, tearing or spraining anything.

But that was then, when he was a starting wide receiver for the Eagles, and this is now, when he is just another face in the crowd trying to win a spot on the Washington Redskins' roster.

Now, the Redskins' game against the Baltimore Ravens tomorrow night at FedEx Field means everything to Pinkston. It could be his ticket back to the NFL or it could be his ticket back to the unemployment line.

If he plays well against the Ravens, if he "flashes," Pinkston might reduce the long odds of him making the team. If he doesn't, he could be released as soon as Tuesday, when NFL teams must trim their rosters to 75 players.

"I'm approaching this like I'm a rookie again," Pinkston, 30, said earlier this week. "I'm just trying to hone in and get comfortable with the offense and display my talents. Hopefully, I'll convince them that I can help them."

Click link for the rest of the article....

But I must say that these paragraphs make the article.

Pinkston was a four-year starter for the Eagles, catching 184 passes in 78 games. He averaged an NFC-high 18.8 yards per catch in 2004 when opposing defenses had to roll their coverages toward Terrell Owens.

But the rake-thin, 180-pound wideout seemed to lose his nerve that season. On three different occasions - against the Cowboys, Redskins and Giants - he pulled up on routes or took his eye off the ball when a defender closed in on him.

Later that season, he sat out the second half of the Eagles' Super Bowl loss to the Patriots with cramps, even though the temperature in Jacksonville that day never got above 65 degrees. The fact that Owens played in that game just 7 weeks after having surgery to repair a broken leg and ankle, and managed to catch nine passes for 122 yards, only made Pinkston's absence in the final two quarters look worse.

We can all look back and laugh at this, but man, that is something that he will never ever be able to live down.

I have withheld my judgement on Pinkston since he was signed. If he can go out and catch some balls, move the chains and maybe score some touchdowns, I'm willing to overlook past pussgretions.

And I agree with Oldskool on this. It's not like we have much of a receiving core behind Moss anyways. Hopefully Lloyd gets it going this season, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm still laughing at the fact that we had to sign Pinky and yet there are still posters that defend a certain WR thats been a flop and cost us two draft picks to acquire.

:doh:

Maybe because one bad season doesn't a bad player make?

Hey, I'd be the first to say that Lloyd has a lot to prove, but I hardly think he's not capable of being a pretty good player, especially with all the work he seems to have done in the offseason.

Jason

Maybe because one bad season doesn't a bad player make?

Jason

Using that same saying, how does it make Pinkston bad if his worst season was better than Lloyd's worst?

Both of these players seem to have something else that hinders their performance, not talking about injuries. Pinkston was scared of being killed, and Lloyd had temper/focus problems.

Maybe Lloyd's dedication this offseason will help and maybe our secondary can somehow help Pinkston to get over his fear of the big hit. Or maybe we could just not send Pink over the middle. Sometimes you have to play to your players strenght.

Here is something interesting.

Pinkston's four years as a starter:

174 catches (44 per year)

2635 yards. (658 per year)

15.1 ypc.

14 TDs.

Lloyd's three years as a starter:

114 catches (38 per year)

1663 yards (554 per year)

14.5 ypc

9 TDs

In other words, aren't we kind of hoping that Lloyd becomes as good as Todd Pinkston was?

15.1 ypc.

14 TDs.

14.5 ypc

9 TDs

In other words' date=' aren't we kind of hoping that Lloyd becomes as good as Todd Pinkston was?[/quote']

I think a small tear just rolled down my cheek.

If Lloyd could replicate Pinkstons numbers we would be in a pretty good spot. But I'm not really counting on that.

15.1 ypc.

14 TDs.

14.5 ypc

9 TDs

In other words' date=' aren't we kind of hoping that Lloyd becomes as good as Todd Pinkston was?[/quote']

Here's something slightly interesting as well:

Lloyd over the past two seasons:

71 receptions

1,138 yds

16.03 ypa

89 yds (longest - went for a TD)

5 TDs

Patten, Thrash, Jacobs, Ferris and Brown over the last two seasons:

61 receptions

705 yds

11.56 ypa

41 yds (longest)

1 TD

It's no wonder we're willing to give him some slack and another year lol...

Plus Stinkston played with McNabb during his 4 years of starting...Plus he played in 62 games during his 4 years of starting compared to Lloyd's 44 games in his 3 years of starting. So if you take the stats you listed and break them down by game instead of by season:

174 catches (2.8 catches per game)

2635 yards. (42.5 yds per game)

15.1 ypc.

14 TDs. (.23 TDs per game)

114 catches (2.59 per game)

1663 yards (37.8 per year)

14.5 ypc

11 TDs (.25 TDs per game)

I'd say he already IS what Pinkston has been lol...and we're all hoping he improves vastly.

I'd say he already IS what Pinkston has been lol...and we're all hoping he improves vastly.

No, he was Pinkson in San Fran. He can't even duplicate Patten or Thrash numbers here.

On to Pinkston, if he plays throw him the ball over the middle a few times and see how he reacts around Ed Reed and Ray Lewis.

Same with Lloyd actually. If they both go Alligator Body out there then cut them both. Thrash can't be worse. At least he makes the catch and runs the route.

Wait until you see how well Pinkston produces here first...would it be shocking if his numbers declined as well?

Put another way, would Lloyd have done better in Philly than Pinkston did with McNabb throwing him the ball?

I think the quarterback comparison is a fair point. Lloyd's quarterbacks have been two first-year quarterbacks, Tim Rattay, Mark Brunell, and a very mediocre Jeff Garcia. Pinkston had a big-time quarterback throwing him the ball in Philly.

Is Lloyd worth the two picks the team paid for him? Hell no. This team has made some pretty bad decisions with WR's in recent memory:

-Cutting 50/50 too soon

-Dumping Jacobs too soon

-Spending all that money on a punt returner with 3rd-option ability

-Trading two picks for an undersized, unaccomplished player

-Not getting something for Westbrook when Denver came-a-knocking

There have been some good moves too, though. Every trade involving a Jet WR has been good to date.

The truth is, though, that deals involving recievers are pretty hard to project. For example, the Giants drafted Sinorice Moss two years ago, were unhappy with the results, and have already drafted his replacement in Steve Smith. The Jags look like they've made two consecutive mistakes with WR's in the first round of the draft. Simply put, wideouts are tricky, and getting burned a couple of times doesn't mean you have to stop trying. :2cents:

This team has made some pretty bad decisions with WR's in recent memory:

-Cutting 50/50 too soon

-Dumping Jacobs too soon

-Spending all that money on a punt returner with 3rd-option ability

-Trading two picks for an undersized, unaccomplished player

-Not getting something for Westbrook when Denver came-a-knocking

:laugh:

Gardner and Jacobs should have been cut way before they were...

Randle-El is scary for the opposition every time he's on the field;

And your other examples are just as flawed...

Gardner and Jacobs should have been cut way before they were...

Not on their cheap rookie contracts they shouldn't have been.

Also, a guy that's never had more than 3 TD's in a season isn't $35 million scary. Actually, check that. He's scary for the Redskins accounting department.

Archived