Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How's this for a fitness routine ?

Mickalino

I created this routine for myself, which incorporates 3 different types of training on a weekly basis, and keeps my body in a constant "change-up" mode. Can any of you hard-core fitness enthusiasts give your take on this ?

Sun - HIIT (High Intensity Interval Trainiing)

Mon - Weights

Tue - Jog (Long Distance)

Wed - Weights

Thu - HIIT

Fri - Weights

Sat - Jog

You need a full active rest day somewhere in there. Probably Sunday.

If I eliminate my Sunday routine, then I only have 2 of each type, unless I double up and do 2 different routines on the same day, once or twice during the week.

Would that be advisable ?

Like, say, do both the weights workout, and a separate HIIT workout on the same day, and then take Sunday off ?

Always have one or two days of rest a week. Unless you're a professional athlete, not only will you break your routine on a regular basis (life just happens that way), but your body will break down without it. I used to make that mistake a lot. I overtrained like crazy, and found myself getting sick a lot more often because of it.

You'll need to work on your grip and your forearm strength for your sexual endurance and stamina, Mick ;)

Yea, that's what Scott told me the other night :paranoid:

(not really - I was just anticipating what the next person was going to say, and wanted to beat him to the punch)

you should throw in some plyometrics and look up that crazy new exercise regiment that reggie bush is doing that he says is some form of ancient chinese exercise i think.

and don't forget to include the ricky williams smoke till you feel alright cool downs.

Increased endurance and stamina (physical, not sexual)

If so, I'd either drop one of the weight workouts, or drop one of the HIIT's and make one of the weight workouts more of a circuit training thing, so you get some cardio with your strength.

As others have said, you need that rest day or else your body is going to break down at some point. The important thing with any excercise regimin is being able to keep to the schedule and not getting hurt in the process.

Jason

you should throw in some plyometrics and look up that crazy new exercise regiment that reggie bush is doing that he says is some form of ancient chinese exercise i think.

Reggie Bush does that routine because he's a professional football player with freak-like ability and any supplement/other substance he wants he uses. A normal person should not do Reggie Bush's routine. It's overkill.

Plyometrics shouldn't be utilized until you've established a good base of strength, but if that base is established, plyos are a great way to go.

I said full active rest day earlier, I apologize. I meant a full rest day. Where you do nothing other than your daily duties. I'd recommend two of them, honestly. You can do HIIT on Monday and Friday along with your weights AFTER you've lifted.

My routine, which has helped me lose 170 pounds thus far:

Day 1: Shoulders & Back

Day 2: Legs & Chest

Day 3: Biceps & Triceps

Day 4: Off

I usually lift 45 mins a day, immediately followed by 45 mins of cardio. Weight training is intense and has resulted in some impressive gains. I truly hate cardio so I mix it up, either a stationary bike, swimming, or basketball.

Diet is probably most important. I eat 6, half-sized meals per day. A ton of protein and fiber, moderate cards, and low fat. A lot of chicken, egg beaters, beans, fish, ect (all low-fat protein). I incorporate Protein shakes between main meals and before and after workouts.

Protein shake before workout: 25g protein, 5g L-Glutamine

After workout: 50g protein, 5g L-Glutamine, 5g Creatine

I weighed 500 pounds at my worst, yesterday I weighed in at 335. It just takes a strong commitment to diet and exercise, no gimmicky crap needed. I also find that prayer or meditation is extremely important to keep oneself motivate.

Good luck! I can detail this whole thing more if needed.

Wow, SkinsD, you're an inspiration, brother. I'm starting to get frustrated trying to drop my extra 35 pounds or so. Reading about someone with the commitment to do what you've done will keep my motivation up to hit the weights again tomorrow.

Congrats on saving your own life bro. Keep up the good fight, and keep us up to date on your progress. :cheers:

i'm currently training for triathlons. i'm not doing any specific training out of a book. But i set personal bests in endurance and muscle strength since high school.

It takes about 2 hours a day 5 days a week.

5-10 min warm up on jump rope

20-30 minutes high intense cardio (set a goal if on a treadmill.. try to get up to 4-4.5 miles within a certain time frame)

then spread superset everything w/ weight training right after. i went from 140lbs to 155 within 3-4 months and i'm in the best shape ever.

Make sure to keep every workout fresh. Never do the same exercise twice within 2 weeks. I like switching from barbells to dumbells every other week. and plyometrics on rare occasions.

on rest days i keep running. I'll block train bike/run swim/bike etc. as someone mentioned on this board to me awhile back.. and its helped my endurance dramatically as well as build practical strength in my legs.

Wow, SkinsD, you're an inspiration, brother. I'm starting to get frustrated trying to drop my extra 35 pounds or so. Reading about someone with the commitment to do what you've done will keep my motivation up to hit the weights again tomorrow.

Congrats on saving your own life bro. Keep up the good fight, and keep us up to date on your progress. :cheers:

Thanks! I hope you have success in your weight loss.

Make sure to keep every workout fresh. Never do the same exercise twice within 2 weeks.

Erm, that's not entirely true. You DO want to change up your routine a bit, but some exercises are core exercises. Bench Press, Squat, Deadlift, Cleans, etc should be done on a regular basis, no matter what. And the whole twice a week thing isn't correct either.

You should change up your routine every 5-10 weeks.

Reggie Bush does that routine because he's a professional football player with freak-like ability and any supplement/other substance he wants he uses. A normal person should not do Reggie Bush's routine. It's overkill.

Plyometrics shouldn't be utilized until you've established a good base of strength, but if that base is established, plyos are a great way to go.

I said full active rest day earlier, I apologize. I meant a full rest day. Where you do nothing other than your daily duties. I'd recommend two of them, honestly. You can do HIIT on Monday and Friday along with your weights AFTER you've lifted.

oh my bad, i thought he was just looking for additional things to incorporate into his workout. read his post wrong, my bad. and definitely agree with you about the plyo's.

just brought up that crazy reggie bush thing cause it looks insane

I weighed 500 pounds at my worst, yesterday I weighed in at 335. It just takes a strong commitment to diet and exercise, no gimmicky crap needed. I also find that prayer or meditation is extremely important to keep oneself motivate.

Unreal!

How'd you find the motivation to start, and ultimately the resolve to stick with it?

If so, I'd either drop one of the weight workouts, or drop one of the HIIT's and make one of the weight workouts more of a circuit training thing, so you get some cardio with your strength.

As others have said, you need that rest day or else your body is going to break down at some point. The important thing with any excercise regimin is being able to keep to the schedule and not getting hurt in the process.

Jason

TheLongShot is right. If endurance and stamina are your goals, high intensity routines won't help much. Work with lighter weights and do more reps(with less rest time), run farther and longer.

You definitely need a rest day in there also.

Good luck.

I created this routine for myself, which incorporates 3 different types of training on a weekly basis, and keeps my body in a constant "change-up" mode. Can any of you hard-core fitness enthusiasts give your take on this ?

Sun - HIIT (High Intensity Interval Trainiing)

Mon - Weights

Tue - Jog (Long Distance)

Wed - Weights

Thu - HIIT

Fri - Weights

Sat - Jog

You really should put in atleast a day or two for rest.

Or go at this pace for a month or two and then drop off to a 5 day workout

Unreal!

How'd you find the motivation to start, and ultimately the resolve to stick with it?

My Doc telling me I was gonna die was a definate help. Also I was always out of breath and was too fat to tie my shoes. It was downright pathetic.

Nothing changed however until frankly I had to adopt the first three steps of AA and adapt them to my problem.

1) We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.

2) Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3) Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

Change food with alcohol (or any problem for that matter) and you will be amazed with the change. Like alcohol or drug addiction, food addicts require a revolution in thinking. Once you admit you have a problem and ask for help of a higher power (Notice Higher power, if you are atheist or agnostic, same effect regardless).

I used to live off fast food and was so heavy I could barely do anything (my knees were shot too). I had to rely on my higher power for help and turned my temptation for fast food, being lazy over to him. Eventually I began to love exercise and healthy eating. I can say with absolute sincerity that all motivation and endurance comes from a higher power. I am the world's laziest man, no way I could have done this on my own. (Alcoholics, drug addicts, sex addicts, ect all say the same thing - it truly is an extraordinary, almost miraculous effect). I even tried to eat a McD cheeseburger a few weeks ago and threw up, I can't even eat that crap anymore.

It is possible without surgery, fad diets, ect. Just diet, exercise, prayer and/or meditation.

Archived