Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King Quote that I hope will get Monk in HOF

bubba9497

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/02/13/mmqb/3.html

7. I think if you think Dan Fouts is a Hall of Famer, you can't argue with Warren Moon being one.

Well Pete if Charlie Joyner, James Lofton, Steve Largent, are Hall of Famers, you can't argue with Art Monk being one. :mad:

other notable "stuff" from Petey

4. I think, looking back on the season, the NFL is lucky to have some of the new stars it has. Think of this season, and who got famous overnight:

a. Hines Ward. Great guy. Hard worker. Wants to be really, really good and won't stop until he is.

b. Lofa Tatupu. Ditto.

c. Matt Hasselbeck. Someday he'll be on a Wheaties box with his wife and three kids. That's how good a guy he is.

d. Troy Polamalu. When I talk to him, I'm not sure if I'm talking to an altar boy or the safety with the most impact in football. he must have majored in Polite at USC.

e. Ben Roethlisberger. I worry about him handling the fame, because it's so much, so fast. But he's 23. Let him enjoy it.

f. Steve Smith. Did a chalk-talk thing with him for Sports Illustrated in Detroit at a business luncheon and he stole the show. Crowd loved him. Hard-working kid, a little ****y, but with a good edge to him.

g. Al Wilson. You don't really know him yet, but you will. Good kid. Really hard-working. Good leader. Key to Denver's defense as a rangy middle linebacker.

h. Osi Umenyiora. Not only a great story -- he's lived equal thirds of his life in London, Africa and America -- but a smart kid, good talker and one heck of a pass-rusher.

uh, What about Santana Moss, or Chris Cooley? :rolleyes:

Louisville coach Bobby Petrino announced last week that he would stay in the Big East. He may not stay there long, however. There are those who think Petrino might one day be the offensive version of Belichick. That's almost sacrilege to me, but it's out there.

Geez, can you be any more obvious of your man crush???

My theory on Carson: A few guys in the room changed their minds. One of them, Cliff Christl of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, talked to me about his reservations, which I appreciated. He felt Carson was a good player but not an outstanding one. I've told Christl how I feel about Carson. Having covered the Giants for four years in the Bill Parcells glory years, I have always believed Carson deserved a spot in Canton, and I spoke up for him in each Hall of Fame meeting.

Carson did the one thing no defensive player ever gets enough credit for, even though it's the first thing every defensive coach talks about with his team every week: He defended the run. You've heard it a hundred times: If we don't stop the run, we can't win. And when the Giants contended consistently, the hallmark of that team was not the running game or Lawrence Taylor terrorizing quarterbacks. It was having opponents in second-and-9. And that was Carson's job. From 1981 to 1987, the peak of his career, when he was making the Pro Bowl every year as a run-stuffing inside linebacker, the Giants averaged 3.59 yards per opponents' rushing attempt.

Consider these three stats about that 3.59 over the seven-year period that Carson was at his peak:

1. The great Chicago Bears defense of 1985, one of the best of all time, with defensive tackles Steve McMichael and Dan Hampton and middle linebacker Mike Singletary, gave up an average of 3.64 yards per rush. The Giants beat that ... over a seven-year period.

2. Only three teams in 2005 were better than 3.59 yards per opponents' rush, for a single season.

3. Mike Shanahan said the Patriots had one of the best run defenses he'd ever seen before he faced them in the playoffs. New England allowed 3.62 per opponents' rush.

And consider that none of Carson's run-stopping 'mates over a seven-year period -- good but not star players like Erik Howard, Jim Burt, Gary Reasons, Kenny Hill, Byron Hunt, Greg Lasker, Herb Welch, Terry Kinard -- will ever be discussed for the Hall of Fame. And you think: if Carson was the on- and off-field leader of this group, if Bill Belichick considered Carson the best all-around linebacker he ever coached, and given the way that Carson stopped the run, shouldn't the guy make the Hall of Fame?

Pete you just described the defensive version of Art Monk, in fact you used arguments that you scoff at when discussing Monk.

Stats!, Not even the best LB on his own team!, He played with lesser talent around him.. none HOF'ers!

The fact that Gibbs has said Monk was the best WR he ever coached... means nothing??? Or the fact Carson did not have flashy memorable plays in big games, or made the highlight reel sacks... but did a blue collar, efficient job at his position, doing the dirty work... is worthy of being a HOF'er????

NOW, tell me again how your voting against Monk is NOT personal????? :jerk:

We all know that it is a sham, Monk is going to get in eventually. This topic used to make me so irrate that I would get red in the face. One thing we know is that anyone who really watched football in the 80's and early 90's knows how GREAT Monk was. All those who played with Art Monk and are fans of Art Monk know he is more than deserving of a bust in Canton. Art Monk probably cares more about those things than actually getting in.

You mention that he misses Cooley and Moss on the list of players who came out of nowhere this year, but what I think is more telling is the players that he does list. It pretty much proves him to be more ignorant than the average fan.

Before the season began about half the people on the list of "New breakout stars" were already certifiable stars.

Hines Ward had made it to four consecutive pro-bowls

Al Wilson had made it to two pro-bowls

Ben Roethlisberger had the biggest breakout rookie season ever.

Steve Smith was injured all of '04, but he was the **** in '03.

It's also interesting how he dismisses the idea of Monk being in the HoF b/c of his contention that he had a scarier WR next to him in Gary Clark that drew attention away from Monk, allowing him to pad his stats.

Yet when he talks up how Carson deserves to be in the HoF, he ignores the fact that he had what's considered the greatest LB of all time playing next to him in Lawerence Taylor drawing attention away from him.

Just another example of King talking out of two sides of his mouth. :rolleyes:

I agree with others, Bubba. You should mail this into him and point out his hypocrisy.

Bubba, mail it to that fat son of a *****.That fat **** has the nerve to qualify Harry Carson to the HOF?

This whole process of choosing players to the HOF is turning into a joke. Only 2 Redskins from the first Joe Gibbs era in the HOF. I'm telling you, something stinks about this whole thing. And why aren't any of our local journalists, from one of the most influential newspapers in the country, writting and raising some hell about this?

I think this jack ass just gets off on the power that he has to control whether or not someone makes it into the HOF or not.

It's like he had an opinion on Monk and despite how wrong that it is, he is taking pride on being an ass and not voting for him just to back up his original opinion.

The only thing that can bring justice to PK's obvious retardedness when it comes to not voting Monk into the HOF is if his car broke down on the way home from work and he was ass raped by some escaped convict who just happened to be a huge Washington Redskins fan and who liked Art Monk all of these years!

And yeah, that last bit was a joke... no really it was...

I also think we need to get a new emoticon like the eagles,dallas and giants suck ones that says Peter King sucks! then switches to a Vote for Monk message...

It will be interesting to see what happens when Jerome Bettis comes up for the Hall. The same arguments that are made against Art Monk could also be made against Bettis - especially his low yards per carry average.

I expect Bettis will make the Hall in his first attempt. That will just show me that the Hall of Fame is nothing but a media popularity contest.

Great post! Thanks for an outstanding find and very good dissection of King's arguement for Carson / against Monk.

I will say that I'm sorry that you had to spend any time reading what that jackass wrote. Thanks for bringing more evidence of his blatent bias to light, though.

Well Pete if Charlie Joyner, James Lofton, Steve Largent, are Hall of Famers, you can't argue with Art Monk being one. :mad:

Pete you just described the defensive version of Art Monk, in fact you used arguments that you scoff at when discussing Monk.

Stats!, Not even the best LB on his own team!, He played with lesser talent around him.. none HOF'ers!

The fact that Gibbs has said Monk was the best WR he ever coached... means nothing??? Or the fact Carson did not have flashy memorable plays in big games, or made the highlight reel sacks... but did a blue collar, efficient job at his position, doing the dirty work... is worthy of being a HOF'er????

Well said sir.....Well said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/02/13/mmqb/3.html

other notable "stuff" from Petey

uh, What about Santana Moss, or Chris Cooley? :rolleyes:

Geez, can you be any more obvious of your man crush???

the exact analogy is carson... he did all the dirty work and got little glory. he kept the chains from being moved a thousand times.... just like monk. he moved the chains a thousand times. he blocked. he ran every route with conviction. he never took a down off. he was a consummate professional.

he belongs in the hall of fame

I know its been debated back and forth about the positives and negatives of emailing this guy. I for one believe he will never change his mind gracefully on the subject. I think everyone should ban together and continue to email this guy (with positive thoughts and facts) on Art Monk. If this ass-clown were to receive numerous emails daily that supported Monk, maybe just maybe he would open his eyes and let a well-derserving player into Canton.

I'm not avocating negative comments directly to Mr King, but factual, argumentitive evidence that supports Monks case from everyone. Now if I only had his email address. :2cents:

Also from that article:

Good question. In fact, this was an odd class to me. A very good class, but an odd one. Each year when I go into the room the day before the Super Bowl to vote on the Hall of Fame class -- I'm one of 39 selectors; this was my 14th year doing it -- I have a notion of how the voting will go. And invariably I'm wrong. This year, for instance, I was sure Warren Moon wouldn't get in. I said so on HBO. Just proves you never know what's going to happen until you get in the room. And I was sure Thurman Thomas would get in. I had him third on my list of 15. And he didn't make it. The way the system works is that we vote for 10 of the original 15. Then the field is narrowed to 10. Then we vote for six of the 10. Then the field is narrowed to six. Then we vote yes or no, individually, on the six.

"What happened with Thurman?'' former Bills GM Bill Polian, now with the Colts, asked me last Friday. I gave him a long answer about how Troy Aikman and Reggie White were locks, and John Madden and Rayfield Wright, the senior candidates, were either going to get in now or perhaps never because seniors come up one year and then not again for a long time. Then, after those four, there was a big morass with Thurman, Moon, Carson, Bob Kuechenberg, Russ Grimm, Art Monk, Derrick Thomas and others. The short answer was: I don't know. I still don't, other than this was a tremendous class of candidates, 13 of whom I would have voted yes had they made it to the final six.

So there's only two out of the fifteen finalists he doesn't want in the Hall of Fame ... we know one of them is Art Monk ... if the other one is Russ Grimm ... :cuss:

Archived