Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Offense Averaged 20.4 points inlast five games

lukhig

Just out of curiosity I looked up the scores of the last five games of last year and we averaged 20.4 points. If you took out the horrific Dallas game we averaged 23 points in 4 of the last five.

The two games before those games were the first two games for Ramsey and they were against Philly, and Pitsburg who were both rolling big time and he kept us in both of those games.

I think this is a very good sign for our offense considering the O-line should much be improved and having everybody back excluding recievers but I think the recievers we have know shoul be a good fit for our offense as long as Jackobs and D'Mac step up.

We will never take the next step if we can't beat Dallas.:wewantd:

:wewantd:

:wewantd:

:cheers:

It's encouraging, but at no point last year did our offense approach a level that i would deem acceptable. Even against minny we should have gotten more points. The only game we looked good was against the giants in our 2nd match with them, but thats not really valid because that defense was so thin it made calista flockhart look chubby.

We need to be much much better if we want to make the playoffs, I dont think 21 pts a game will hack it, fortunately, I think we will be better with all the changes that should be implemented.

Originally posted by tr1

I think the Coach likes 21...that should be enough to win most games...if we can just get that big play every once in a while...

Right. The threat of the big play will complete this offense. Not only will it give us the occassional score or big chunk of yardage, but it will open up the small plays because teams will have to respect the quick strike.

Originally posted by budski

Cooley is the secret weapon and he will have a major impact the first couple of games. Especially the second one.

Im not sure how secret he is anymore. We were throwing to him in the end zone on a nearly every-game basis.

Originally posted by RedskinzOwnU

We need to be much much better if we want to make the playoffs, I dont think 21 pts a game will hack it, fortunately, I think we will be better with all the changes that should be implemented.

We really don't need to be that much better. As other's have pointed out, if we had just scored 19 points each game we would have been 12-4 last year. The defense is so good that all we have to do is slightly improve our offense and we will see a big change in the record. If we had scored 21 points each game we would have been 13-2-1. 10-6 or 9-7 is a very reasonable expectation for 2005.

Originally posted by wskin44

We really don't need to be that much better. As other's have pointed out, if we had just scored 19 points each game we would have been 12-4 last year. The defense is so good that all we have to do is slightly improve our offense and we will see a big change in the record. If we had scored 21 points each game we would have been 13-2-1. 10-6 or 9-7 is a very reasonable expectation for 2005.

The problem with this logic is that you're assuming everything will fall into place on defense like it did this past season. It might, but there is a chance that some offenses will be able to spend the off-season scheming around our D a little better than they did last year.

this team is close, we have a tough road though,our scedule isn't easy.and to think our defense could also improve, another year in the system and lavar with a year of pent up steam looking

to rock someone's world. but lets keep the cool aid in the frig.

let the nay sayers talk , no big deal.they better bring lunch box though, cause every game is going to feel like an all day job.

Originally posted by TD_washingtonredskins

The problem with this logic is that you're assuming everything will fall into place on defense like it did this past season. It might, but there is a chance that some offenses will be able to spend the off-season scheming around our D a little better than they did last year.

I was thinking the exact same thing. We need to average at least 24 points a game (assuming the defense stays ranked in the top 5 this year) to have a winning season and a possible wildcard birth, IMO of course. Hail to em'

TD, my logic takes into account that the defense might slip. 19 offensive points per week would have made us 12-4 in 2004. I only predicted 10-6 or 9-7 because the defense might not be as good.

Exactly. Yes, last year 21 points would have gotten the job done. We also had the sickest D ever, an extremely easy schedule, etc etc. Our schedule is more difficult this year, and it would be hard for any D to repeat that performance no matter how good it is. I dont think 21 points a game gets us 10+ wins this year. I could be wrong, but I'm not feeling it. I think we should be striving for 24-28 points a game. Set the bar higher and you end up with a higher result, even if you don't reach your goal - thats what I've always believed at least.

Originally posted by Dick Edds

I was thinking the exact same thing. We need to average at least 24 points a game (assuming the defense stays ranked in the top 5 this year) to have a winning season and a possible wildcard birth, IMO of course. Hail to em'

The average offense in 2004 only scored 21.5 points per game. The Redskins were 31st out of 32 teams at 15 points per game. This is why the improvement to 20.4 in the last 5 games is so significant.

The top ten offenses only scored 26.5. It is not realistic to think that the Redskins will go from 31st even to #10 (#10 only scored 23.4 pts per game).

The Redskins (like it or not) are a defensive team. Yes we lost some players, but we are getting some injured guys back. Yes the schedule looks tougher but the defense should improve in its second year. Yes the defense might give up more than the 16.5 points it gave up last year, but with just a slightly more efficient offense (3rd down conversions, short yardage plays, time of possession improvements, fewer turnovers) a better rested defense shouldn't slip by more than a couple of points, if at all.

With a slightly better offense and improved special teams play giving slightly better field position the defense can carry this team to the playoffs.

Originally posted by wskin44

The average offense in 2004 only scored 21.5 points per game. The Redskins were 31st out of 32 teams at 15 points per game. This is why the improvement to 20.4 in the last 5 games is so significant.

The top ten offenses only scored 26.5. It is not realistic to think that the Redskins will go from 31st even to #10 (#10 only scored 23.4 pts per game).

The Redskins (like it or not) are a defensive team. Yes we lost some players, but we are getting some injured guys back. Yes the schedule looks tougher but the defense should improve in its second year. Yes the defense might give up more than the 16.5 points it gave up last year, but with just a slightly more efficient offense (3rd down conversions, short yardage plays, time of possession improvements, fewer turnovers) a better rested defense shouldn't slip by more than a a couple of points, if at all.

With a slightly better offense and improved special teams play giving slightly better field position the defense can carry this team to the playoffs.

I agree we should play to our defense. I think it's essential that we get good production from both Portis and Betts at RB. In addition, I think we need Ramsey to hit the open guy and for our WRs to make plays to extend drives.

Not to simplify things, but it all comes down to knowing what you do best and playing to your strengths.

I agree we should play to our defense. I think it's essential that we get good production from both Portis and Betts at RB. In addition, I think we need Ramsey to hit the open guy and for our WRs to make plays to extend drives.

Not to simplify things, but it all comes down to knowing what you do best and playing to your strengths.

Watching the player moves this offseason I really think that the organization understands that stability and small improvements in the offense will yield results. Rabach was the first guy they went after. He can get outside and lead block where Portis needs to go. Gardner was undependable in his route running and his hands. He killed drives because he wasn't where he was supposed to be. Coles couldn't get yards after the catch because he couldn't push off his toe. We had no one who could consisitenly convert a 1 yard plunge. Ramsey couldn't work with receivers in the offseason because of his injury. A lot of small things, but all of them have been addressed one way or another.

I think that Gibbs expects another outstanding defense, top 6 or 7 in the NFL, and that the offense will improve to the middle of the pack (21 points or so a game) and that will push us into the playoffs.

Originally posted by Dick Edds

The Defense was great, and they might slip a little, but 21 points a game means 14 to 17 in the first half and Portis pounding it 25-30 times a game with a lead. This team is build to win ugly if it has to.

We aren't a top ten offense even with the upgrades on the line (Rabach, the return of Jansen) and the improvements at wide receiver. :fingersx: I see us finishing around 12-15 overall on offense thanks to a strong running game. So if the defense slips to 5-7 range (a little slip) I think 21 points a game gets us 9 or 10 wins.

As a Coach, you don't want to spend too much time preaching for X amount of points. It equates to failure if you don't hit the mark regardless of win or lose.

What you want to focus on is that when the opportunity to score shows up, then you take advantage of it.

In the end, a Coach will want to make sure he avgs more points for then against and he will sleep well at night.

Well, at least better.

Archived