Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TSN: NFC East primer: Eagles will remain regal

bubba9497

NFC East primer: Eagles will remain regal

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/experts/vinnie-iyer/20050522.html

Analysis of the hot topics surrounding the teams in the NFC East heading into the 2005 NFL season:

CLASS OF THE NFC

Through the past four seasons, the Eagles have been the classiest, smartest and most successful NFL organization this side of the New England Patriots. But their recent resumé still has one thing missing -- a Super Bowl title.

Even though they came up three points short of the Patriots in accomplishing the ultimate team goal in Jacksonville last February, the Eagles did stop their string of three consecutive losses in the NFC championship game.

Now that it has the conference crown, it will be tough for any team (at least in the NFC) to overthrow Philadelphia. It was a typical offseason for the team, deciding not to keep some veterans at too high of prices and relying instead on its solid past and present drafting skills to turn to some younger and cheaper replacements.

The cast of characters continues to change on offense and defense, but as long as Andy Reid leads the schemers on the sidelines and Donovan McNabb leads the playmakers on to the field, the Eagles have the ideal coach-quarterback combination to stay ahead of any rising competition.

Forget any fueled controversies, Terrell Owens or otherwise -- when it comes down to the business of winning games, that's when the Eagles' fire will continue to burn bright. The theme of Super Bowl 40 in Detroit should be "Motown Philly."

AS FOR THE 'BOYS

There are three simple aspects of a successful Bill Parcells-coached team, and his current team in much better position to execute them more consistently than it was last season.

The first is the running game. Julius Jones came on as an explosive rookie back in the second half of 2004, but the rushing attack struggled when he was sidelined (broken left shoulder) for the first half. A full year of Jones should make the Cowboys much steadier on the ground.

The second is the defense, which is all set for a transition to the 3-4 alignment. The additions of rookie pass rushers Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears will assist a young secondary (now boosted by former Brown Anthony Henry) that often was hung out to dry in coverage in '04. All that will give the team's best all-around defender, safety Roy Williams, freedom to make more plays all over the field.

The third is having "Parcells-type" veteran players who have a full grasp of his style and philosophies. This offseason he added three more blasts from the past with quarterback Drew Bledsoe, defensive tackle Jason Ferguson and defensive back Aaron Glenn. In addition to being his most trusted players, they also can help impart more wisdom to the younger, unproven players.

Bledsoe struggled in his final two seasons in Buffalo, but you can be sure that Parcells will have him well protected and take great pressure off him by making Jones the focal point of the offense. Ferguson will be a solid, experienced presence while Ware and Spears settle in, and Glenn's savvy will aid the development of third-year corner Terence Newman.

Overall, the adjustments should push the Cowboys to at least the .500 mark with a shot at becoming a wild-card playoff entry like they were in '03.

MANNING AMONG GIANTS

Although Eli Manning won't blow up the stat sheet like his big brother Peyton in his second season, he will show signs that he was worth the No. 1 overall pick with his true breakout season set for '06.

It's important to remember that he took over as the Giants' undisputed starter only last Nov. 21. He played on a team that got only two TDs from its wide receivers and none from No. 1 Amani Toomer. Manning's best game was his most recent, as he showed great poise in leading New York over Dallas in the '04 season finale for his first career victory.

This season, Manning has a better wide receiver corps with former Steeler Plaxico Burress in the mix, has worked to develop a better rapport with tight end Jeremy Shockey, and most importantly, has that one year of experience under his belt. Manning will get beat up again and have a few nightmare interception games while his rough edges continue to get polished, but he will win considerably more than one game and post a few more 100-plus ratings days, too.

The Giants are on the right track offensively with Manning. Taking over as the main source of frustration, however, will be the defense, which has traditionally been the team's strong suit. The team scored a big-time free agent middle linebacker in former Redskin Antonio Pierce, but stud pass rusher Michael Strahan is creeping toward the end of his career and there is a dearth of playmakers at the other nine positions.

SKINNY ON THE 'SKINS

It's good that Washington has the Nationals this summer, because it's deflecting much attention away from what should be a fall of discontent for fans of the city's beloved Redskins.

The positive from last season was the defense, which finished third in the league thanks to the aggressive scheming of coordinator Gregg Williams. The negatives from the offseason were the losses of Pierce and cornerback Fred Smoot, as well as grumbling from second-year safety Sean Taylor. Williams will make the necessary tweaks to keep the unit going strong, but the bigger question is if the offense can do enough to make that matter.

Clinton Portis needs to bounce back and show the explosiveness he did in Denver after averaging only 3.8 yards per carry last season. The receiving corps has brand-new veteran starters in David Patten and Santana Moss, and neither is a true No. 1. Most concerning of all, however, is the most important position, quarterback.

Mark Brunell was a free-agent bust for Joe Gibbs last season, and the side effect of the signing was that it didn't please Patrick Ramsey, whom the team may need to go to again. And by the time rookie Jason Campbell is ready, Gibbs may no longer be coach of the team.

The Redskins, owned (Daniel Snyder) and coached (Gibbs) by men who rose to the top in the 1980s and early 1990s, haven't made the organizational transition to the current game in which big spending on veterans and getting big names doesn't yield big results.

Big contracts with dead money looming only lead to individuals (Taylor) trumping the team concept and a lack of needed fiscal flexibility in the future. Until all that comes into focus in Washington, you won't see Fun Bunch 2 anytime soon.

Look, it's been said a thousand times, until this team wins, this is what you can expect from the media. Journalists hate for their articles to be proven wrong. Picking the Redskins to do poorly is a safe bet (based on their recent history). If the 'Skins can put together a solid year, all these naysayers will disappear. Until then, this drivel will continue.

You know looking back the past 7-10 years what have the redskins ever done to really make anyone think they will be any better than the year before. There is always the hype, then after looking closer they find the flaws. I dont see them seeing it any different this year.

But, I do disagree with this article, the skins will not be a letdown this year.

Originally posted by herrmag

Look, it's been said a thousand times, until this team wins, this is what you can expect from the media. Journalists hate for their articles to be proven wrong. Picking the Redskins to do poorly is a safe bet (based on their recent history). If the 'Skins can put together a solid year, all these naysayers will disappear. Until then, this drivel will continue.

And until then, it's not drivel. So many here get upset when the media puts the Redskins down, but it's the media that's proven right every season. Why should they expect us to do better until we show them something?

What "Big-Name" did we sign this year?

None (we traded one "Big-Name" for Moss, but so what).

As for picking Taylor,

I'm sure there's still media outlets that criticize us for taking Taylor over KWII.

Again,

we had the chance to take the "flashy Big-Name"in the draft (Mike Williams) and went for a solid guy instead.

we'll see....maybe things are getting turned around.

man this is sooooooooooooo bad. What an idiot. Nothing but positive for the Giants after we just about killed them the second game and they added Pierce and all of a sudden they are it? Then the Cowpukes with adding what? A couple of rookies, a new defense and all of a sudden they are wild card contenders but the skins, having continuity at both sides of the ball, upgrading the OL which was by far the biggest problem last year, by adding a very solid MLB in Holdman to replace Pierce, picking the best CB in the draft to replace our 2nd Corner in Smoot.....no not enough. According to this idiot we will be happy to make it 4-11.

The more I think of it the more I think our team is going to be a challenge to the eagles for the NFC east title and by the end of the season the most endangered bird species will Crow.

Originally posted by Isifhan

It's all about flying low under the radar. I'm perfectly happy with that actually.

:cheers:

I agree. The press has no reason to expect anything different this season. I realize Joe's in his second year and I do believe that will help, but they need more tangible evidence when they're making their predictions.

TD,

I agree they do need more evidence other than stuff gibbs did 10-12 years ago.

Things have changed all over for Gibbs, but like so many others I still am hanging in there. The media is right about the past years, although I do believe this year is going to be a little differant.

Just cant see with all the preparations going on for a second year the skins being some kinda pushover, and the offense struggling.

Now to contradict myself:

Can anyone really believe that Gibbs can have two losing seasons in a row.

Mark Brunell was a free-agent bust for Joe Gibbs last season, and the side effect of the signing was that it didn't please Patrick Ramsey, whom the team may need to go to again. And by the time rookie Jason Campbell is ready, Gibbs may no longer be coach of the team.

"MAY" need to go to again?????....Um, isn't Ramsey the starter??...Yeah, the Skins "may" need to go to their starting QB sometime during the next season...

Originally posted by Chachie

And until then, it's not drivel. So many here get upset when the media puts the Redskins down, but it's the media that's proven right every season. Why should they expect us to do better until we show them something?

What have the Cowboys shown these guys over the past 6 years to warrant all this praise??...

Originally posted by Califan007

What have the Cowboys shown these guys over the past 6 years to warrant all this praise??...

That they can consistently beat us! take off the blinders. These articles aren't baseless. We've been horrible the last few years. Perhaps this will be the year we turn it around, but until then the media isn't off base.

Originally posted by ttjhicks

That they can consistently beat us! take off the blinders. These articles aren't baseless. We've been horrible the last few years. Perhaps this will be the year we turn it around, but until then the media isn't off base.

The fact that Dallas has beaten us so much lately doesn't have anything to do with their position in the NFC East as a whole, other than finishing ahead of us. It doesn't make them a great team or even a contending team. They haven't done anything of late to get such less-harsh treatment than the 'Skins. They backed into the Playoffs one year once everyone figured them out, then that carried into last season.

Nick

Funny how for one point the writer says that Dallas will be much better because they have "Parcells-type veteran players who have a full grasp of his style and philosophies."

And then another great advantage for the 'boys is "the additions of rookie pass rushers Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears will assist a young secondary."

So which is it - a great veteran team that knows Parcell's system well and will execute it to perfection. Or is it the rookies and young Dallas players that now have to adjust to a 3/4 scheme going to come through with breakout seasons?

Seems to me like this fool is talking out both sides of his mouth to reach a conclusion that he's just hoping for. As for the 'skins commentary I find it funny that he lambasts the 'skins for free-spending when they've done anything but thus far. Just a bunch of rehashed catch-phrases to make the 'skins their favorite whipping posts yet again.

Originally posted by Califan007

And how come I don't ever hear how bad the Cardinals have been, when was the last time they when to the Playoffs,

But ever since Dan became the owner the Media damn near labled the skins as the worst team in the league,

I know people that hardly ever watch football say some sh*t like " The skins will always be the a bad team until they get rid of Dan Snyder." And that ain't fair. They are just repeating what the some jerk on espn says so now they believe it.

Now I admit it, couple of years ago this may have been true, but last year I didn't hear about Dan Snyder until the Coles situation, but let the media tell it and Dan is at it again or Joe Gibbs is to old and he doesn't know what he is doing in the modern era of football- BULLSH*T- BUT Cowboys and every other bad team just had to many injuries and some bad luck.

While we the skins fans get to see the worst calls in football go against the redskins weekly.---IT AMAZES ME

I have no problem with the press not giving us any love but at least use some reasoning for your negativity. Anyone that is not biased can look at the Skins and see the improvements that have been made. Better receivers, better O-line, Daniels back at D-line, healthy LaVar, upgrade at corner with Rogers and Wilds, Cooley in his second year, offensive schemes designed to streach the field for Portis, Second year in same system for Offense, Defense, Special Teams, and Patrick Ramsey. All these things arent going to help the Skins to win some of those 5 close games we lost last year when we had all those problems? I just want to bring up all of this crap when we are in the playoffs next season. Just every day post another one of these articles on line and spend the day tearing it apart.

Originally posted by ttjhicks

So beating the Skins is all it takes to be considered playoff contenders...Riiiiight. :rolleyes:

Archived