Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A poll I need all to participate in........

Utah

- Different o-line run and pass-blocking techniques, esp. the difference between zone versus man run blocking (for Portis).

- the difference between a "46 defense" and the "standard" 4-3 defense, and the Cover-2.

The offense was our weak spot last year, and learning how the coaches will make the offense more potent, and the players that are strong in the new offense, that what I like reading about.

Our defense is kick a$$, as is our special teams (although I don't feel comfortable with Hall), and our Coaches are already awesome.

but our Offense, I find that to be most interesting.

Originally posted by dreamshatterer

1. I picked coaching because thats where it ALL begins and ends.

2. This is my 1st post and would like to say hello to all and I can't wait to be sharing my opinions with others on this board. I've been a Skins fan as far back as I can remember and even landed a job as a Store Manager for the Redskins at the Springfield Mall location. Once again, hello to all. HTTR!!!

Welcome aboard buddy....what kind of discount can I get on an authentic jersey?....jk...or not

I like to know about formations and movements, like when the officials say that it was an ilegal movement or when an ofensive player moves incorrectly or does not stop totally before the snap. Don't understand anything about it

utah,

offense for me...

- how a wr decides which of his routes to run on a given play (i.e. running a slant vs. a post). i know it has to do with the defense that is called, but i'd imagine it also has something to do with the db alignment.

- how that is communicated to the qb. i'd like to think that the qb and wr can pick up the same clues (what ever they may be) and make the same decision, but is there a system of communicating what exactly the wr is going to do? or is it just practice, practice, practice?

- i assume that the defenses generally know which of their looks will cause certain routes to be run... how can offenses protect against the defense dictating which route is being run (and running the routes into the heart of the called defense).

- we've heard a lot about gibbs getting it downfield more, but we've also heard that there were deep routes in the playbook last year. how can a coach devise a scheme that purposefully gets the ball deep? obviously, calling less wr screens and quick slants would work, but i'm interested in overall scheme design, not play calling.

thanks a bunch, coach!

I'd like to more about the role of the defensive coach, here in England, when watching a game live, the commentators always give ideas on the offensive line up, and what they may do, but no one explains how the defensive coach is counteracting what he sees.

Coaching....

What is the right coach to win the big one?

Someone who played the game?

Someone who is the offspring of a HOF player or coach?

A people person that knows the inner-spirit of the game?

A hard as brick no-nonsence person who will chew you up?

A little of Both?

I was always interested in the "unseen parts of offense" such as dummy receivers and fake routes and stuff like that.... How one receiver can draw the safety over the top or something just to free up the other side for another receiver.... would be cool to see some diagrams of some of the set ups and stuff.....

Originally posted by SkinsFTW

I picked defense. We've all heard the saying and it seems to be somewhat true so why do defenses win championships?

Is it because good defenses are more consistant than good offenses or is it really a field position battle won by the defense and special teams?

Or something else altogether that depends upon individual matchups?

I second this question.

Also, what are some of the things defenders "key in" on before the snap. What do they look for to make sure everybody is lined up right (d-lineman, LB's, safeties)?

Damn.......my brother has powers I didn't even know about.

Keep it up guys, this is making it so I know what it is you guys are really looking for and I can hit those areas the hardest.

Archived