Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do they hate ninjas in the UK??

ChocolateCitySkin

Okay, I know this is really stupid topic, but this question was brought up in another thread. And I'm completely befuddled by it. Apparently, ninjas in the UK are censored like naked ladies in this country. What logical reason could they possible have for censoring ninjas?!?!

i.e. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was edited to "hero turtles" and in Starsky and Hutch throwing stars were edited to knives.

In any event to make this thread interesting I provided a link to a classic webpage.

www.realultimatepower.net -- enjoy :)

http://home.comcast.net/~burokerl/ninja.htm

Ninjutsu--"the art of stealth, the way of invisibility"*

Ninja--"the legendary spies and commandos feudal Japan"

Deadly combatants, assassins, and spies, the ninjas were the shadow warriors for hire during the fourteenth through seventeenth centuries in Japan, a period of eastern history rife with conflict. The philosophy of the ninja was to operate in the dark quiet, unseen and unnoticed. They could go where armored warriors could not, accomplish in secret what greater numbers could not in the open. Ninjas were consummate fighters, but they preferred deception to outright violence, charisma to belligerence, night to day.

Traditionally, ninjas were trained from birth. They learned to be preternaturally vigilant of the world around them. By five or six, children's play took the form of training exercises which taught balance and agility. They learned how to walk without making noise, to assume disguises that allowed them to blend in with a crowd, and to scamper across trees and roofs with ease. As they grew older, these future ninjas began hand-to-hand combat and eventually weapons training.

Some of the weapons of the Ninja were:

kusari-fundo--an easy to conceal 2-3 foot chain with a steel weight on both ends used for countering sword techniques without using a sword.

kusari-gama--a single-edged blade attached to a wooden handle with 9-12 feet of chain on the other end.

shinobi-zue--these canes looked like ordinary walking sticks, but inside ninjas would conceal a variety of fighting tools such as knives and daggers, all the way up to swords.

Even today, ninjas are spoken of with awe and admiration, but it is good to remember that these men and women were assassins of the highest order, killing for a price.

*Quotes from The Ninja and Their Secret Fighting Art by Stephen K Hayes. This book was used as the primary resource for the information on this page.

Read our review onThe Ninja and Their Secret Fighting Art

I don't think we're going to get an answer.

First the Teenage Mutant NINJA Turtles(I was on the ship from Dover to Netherlands and there was an arcade and it was mutant HERO Turtles!) and then the Starsky and Hutch scene with the kid throwing pointed weapons had to be changed from ninja stars to knives to earn a non-R equivalent rating.

I'm not sure at all what the hell their problem is--maybe one of our resident Brits can give us the answer.

Originally posted by ChocolateCitySkin

Okay, I know this is really stupid topic, but this question was brought up in another thread. And I'm completely befuddled by it. Apparently, ninjas in the UK are censored like naked ladies in this country. What logical reason could they possible have for censoring ninjas?!?!

i.e. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was edited to "hero turtles" and in Starsky and Hutch throwing stars were edited to knives.

In any event to make this thread interesting I provided a link to a classic webpage.

www.realultimatepower.net -- enjoy :)

That link is like a reoccuring nightmare. The music just won't stop playing in my head everytime I visit that site:rubeyes:

I posted this topic on another board and got this:

Let me field this one, as I am part British.

You see, ninjas are viewed as the Rumplestiltskin of merry, old England. Many old-wives tales surround them running the streets, skin on fire, slapping drunks and bums. Like the boogieman, they would haunt and molest their youth, and use house pets as beasts of burden. But finally, a man playing a flute led them out of town, as they were unable to resist his charms. Now, in libraries around the world you can read about this "Black Plague" they suffered due to these ninjas. It was a dark time for England, hence called the "Dark Ages". It's almost a faux pas to even talk about it there, now.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Not loving ninjas is like not loving Mom, apple pie, baseball, etc.

If you don't love ninjas, you probably play for the pink team.

I don't know about Mom and apple pie...

It's probably more like not loving sushi or Voltron, but yeah, definitely baseball.

Another response from one of the smarter board members:

They deem the word "Ninja" to have a connotation of violence. Therefore, Ninja named or Ninja related items are often renamed or editted. They're apparently much more worried about depictions of violence than depictions of sex...

That's an answer. It's still lame.

And I detected a hint of a criticism of the American obsession with depictions of sex. Problem being that ninja is just a GD word that isn't even particularly violent. Ninja is like saying, "centurion" or "spy." It's utterly irrational.

And that would also not mean the difference between ninja stars and throwing knives is something that makes any sense.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Just imagine walking into a crowded bar or through a sporting event and doing a cartwheel then instantly kneeling and ducking away.

I am confused. Why would you want to do this?

I'm not saying that Ninjas don't rock. But you picked a pretty random skill... :)

Originally posted by zoony

I am confused. Why would you want to do this?

I'm not saying that Ninjas don't rock. But you picked a pretty random skill... :)

Are you joking? If I had the power and grace, I'd do a cartwheel whenever I entered and left any room.

Archived