Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(merged)Redskins.com:Ramsey's Confidence Remains High

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=6717

Ramsey's Confidence Remains High

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

April 26, 2005

Patrick Ramsey worried? When the Redskins selected quarterback Jason Campbell with the 25th pick in last weekend's NFL Draft, Ramsey was out playing golf. After a workout on Tuesday morning at Redskins Park, he was headed back to the golf course for another 18 holes.

Ramsey spoke to reporters Tuesday for the first time since the team drafted Campbell. The fourth-year quarterback remains confident that he will lead the Redskins to a successful season in 2005.

"I don't think I have anything to be real apprehensive about," Ramsey said. "I feel confident in my ability to lead this team and I feel confident about this team. It's a situation where I know I have every opportunity to be successful and so I'm going to make the most of it."

Ramsey said he wasn't surprised that the team selected Campbell. He had conversations with head coach Joe Gibbs--one discussion last week before the draft and another on Tuesday--about Campbell, among other topics.

"I just asked coach his opinion on the matter, and he told me, 'You're in there, you're our starter and you're going to play.' But obviously I still have to earn it. I'm being given an opportunity to lead this football team to the playoffs and to win."

"The way I look at this season is this: I'm going to go out there to play well and lead this team. Hopefully it leads to me staying here. That's what I want to do. That's what I plan on doing. We'll see where it takes me."

When the Redskins selected Campbell last Saturday, questions swirled about how it would impact Ramsey. Gibbs dispelled any suggestion that Ramsey's status was uncertain.

"Really this has very little to do with Patrick," Gibbs said on Tuesday afternoon. "He is our starter and he is the guy we are counting on to be the quarterback who takes us to the playoffs.

"We had real good talks about it and he understands that this is his opportunity and his team. I think he is anxious about it. He has had great work in the off-season. I think this is the best he has ever felt."

Last season at this time, Ramsey was recovering from foot surgery and was set back in competing for the starting job. Veteran quarterback Mark Brunell won the 2004 starting job in training camp and played nine games.

Ramsey assumed the starting job in Week 10. In seven starts, he completed 65 percent of his passes--142-of-217 for 1,313 yards and eight touchdowns. He was particularly effective in the 31-7 win over the New York Giants. In that Week 12 game, he completed 19-of-22 passes for 174 yards and three touchdowns.

This offseason, offensive coaches may be hoping that Ramsey produces a performance similar to that of San Diego Chargers quarterback Drew Brees, a fifth-year quarterback.

After the Chargers drafted highly touted rookie quarterback Phillip Rivers in the 2004 NFL Draft, Brees' status was uncertain in San Diego. Brees went on to earn the starting job last season, ahead of Rivers, and led the Chargers to the playoffs. He completed 65 percent of his passes and threw for 3,159 yards and 27 touchdowns.

"My situation is similar to [brees]," Ramsey said. "But it's also a little different for me because I've been told I have an opportunity to lead this team. I'm the starter here until I prove otherwise. I expect us to go to the playoffs and hopefully we'll go a little bit farther than Drew did."

As the designated starter, Ramsey, the Redskins' first-round pick (32nd overall) out of Tulane in 2002, said he is approaching this offseason differently than in years past.

"It's a lot different the way you approach things and the way you relate to your teammates," he said. "It's just as important to earn it. When you go out onto the field, you have to show you're deserving of it."

I am warming to Ramsey. I didn't like his comments last year but I think a lot of that was frustration from his injury and his agent calling the shots. I think he has gotten wise to how far Gibbs can take this team and he wants on the bus. I have to add to my sig now.

this is the reason i love PR.. not to knock Campbell but i am really pushing for Ramsey to have a spectacular season and be our leader for yrs to come.. i would hate for him to be the next "Trent Green"... think back to what Green was starting to do before he was let go and look at him now ( Pro Bowler), sometimes i still puke everytime i think about how easily we let him go..

Originally posted by skinstzar

I am warming to Ramsey. I didn't like his comments last year but I think a lot of that was frustration from his injury and his agent calling the shots. I think he has gotten wise to how far Gibbs can take this team and he wants on the bus. I have to add to my sig now.

To my knowledge PR didn't make any public negative comments. The only comments were made by his agent. PR's brother told us that the agent's comments did not reflect Pat's sentiments.

Originally posted by wskin44

To my knowledge PR didn't make any public negative comments. The only comments were made by his agent. PR's brother told us that the agent's comments did not reflect Pat's sentiments.

what happened to PR's brother i always here folks hear talk about this dude... where is he, did someone piss him off?

Article linked above...

Ramsey's Confidence Remains High

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

April 26, 2005

Ramsey worried? When the Redskins selected quarterback Jason Campbell with the 25th overall pick in last weekend's NFL Draft, Ramsey was out playing golf. After a workout on Tuesday morning at Redskins Park, he was headed back to the golf course for another 18 holes.

Ramsey spoke to reporters Tuesday for the first time since the team drafted Campbell. The fourth-year quarterback remains confident that he will lead the Redskins to a successful season in 2005.

"I don't think I have anything to be real apprehensive about," Ramsey said. "I feel confident in my ability to lead this team and I feel confident about this team. It's a situation where I know I have every opportunity to be successful and so I'm going to make the most of it."

Ramsey said he wasn't surprised that the team selected Campbell. He had conversations with head coach Joe Gibbs--one discussion last week before the draft and another on Tuesday--about Campbell, among other topics.

"I just asked coach his opinion on the matter, and he told me, 'You're in there, you're our starter and you're going to play.' But obviously I still have to earn it. I'm being given an opportunity to lead this football team to the playoffs and to win."

"The way I look at this season is this: I'm going to go out there to play well and lead this team. Hopefully it leads to me staying here. That's what I want to do. That's what I plan on doing. We'll see where it takes me."

After the Redskins selected Campbell last Saturday, questions swirled about how it would impact Ramsey. Gibbs dispelled any suggestion that Ramsey's status was uncertain.

"Really this has very little to do with Patrick," Gibbs said on Tuesday afternoon. "He is our starter and he is the guy we are counting on to be the quarterback who takes us to the playoffs.

"We had real good talks about it and he understands that this is his opportunity and his team. I think he is anxious about it. He has had great work in the off-season. I think this is the best he has ever felt."

Last season at this time, Ramsey was recovering from foot surgery and was set back in competing for the starting job. Veteran quarterback Mark Brunell won the 2004 starting job in training camp and played nine games.

Ramsey assumed the starting job in Week 10. In seven starts, he completed 65 percent of his passes--142-of-217 for 1,313 yards and eight touchdowns. He was particularly effective in the 31-7 win over the New York Giants. In that Week 12 game, he completed 19-of-22 passes for 174 yards and three touchdowns.

This offseason, offensive coaches may be hoping that Ramsey produces a performance similar to that of San Diego quarterback Drew Brees, a fifth-year player drafted in 2001 by the Chargers.

After San Diego drafted highly touted rookie quarterback Phillip Rivers in the 2004 NFL Draft, Brees' status was suddenly uncertain in San Diego. But Brees went on to earn the starting job last season, ahead of Rivers, and led the Chargers to the playoffs. He completed 65 percent of his passes and threw for 3,159 yards and 27 touchdowns.

"My situation is similar to [brees]," Ramsey said. "But it's also a little different for me because I've been told I have an opportunity to lead this team. I'm the starter here until I prove otherwise. I expect us to go to the playoffs and hopefully we'll go a little bit farther than Drew did."

As the designated starter, Ramsey, the Redskins' first-round pick (32nd overall) out of Tulane in 2002, said he is approaching this offseason differently than in years past.

"It's a lot different the way you approach things and the way you relate to your teammates," he said. "It's just as important to earn it. When you go out onto the field, you have to show you're deserving of it."

Originally posted by authentic

what happened to PR's brother i always here folks hear talk about this dude... where is he, did someone piss him off?

Think about what you just asked. You were online during the Draft, weren't you?

The one thing that Coach does not want is Ramsey feeling even a little 'unpushed' for the season. He wants every possible button pushed on this kid to get him to succeed now.

The move is sound and we will reap the rewards in a big way.

haha, that is an avatar befitting of andyman, he needed a different one anyways, since newer posters always doubted his 'waterboy' status.

tk, are you just implying that he's not on cause of all the Campbell talk? I wasnt online during pick 25 as I was at a friends place watching.

This Ramsey thing is simple for him to undestand...

If he performs and leads the team to the playoffs, etc. then he has the job.

If he doesn't then he loses his job (whether or not Campbell is here).

It just maybe a little bit clearer who would be next in line. The rub occurs if the team does poorly but he is playing well. Do you change just to "shake things up", etc. Based on Gibbs like for experienced QBs and the comments about Campbell's speed at picking things up, I would strongly suspect that Ramsey is actually more clearly designated as the only starter for this entire year (would you go back to Brunell or Hasselback if you had Campbell in the wings?). Again, if he is the man and kicks ass then there are no questions, if he falters then we know who is next, vice not knowing and Gibbs trading for another QB.

Hope that actually made sense. Bottom line the job is absolutely Ramsey's to lose and I suspect he gets an entire year to prove his worth.

I'm the starter here until I prove otherwise - Patrick Ramsey

Now this is a guy who understands the situation and has his head screwed on straight. Gibbs had done a great job explaining things.... and Ramsey feels he's being told the truth. If Ramsey produces... he's our long-term franchise QB. If he doesn't.... than he's going to take a seat.

Wow... I had forgotten about that 19-22 game with three touchdowns. If we see more of these types of games, especially against our division, than Campbell may never see the field.

Archived